Juvinile Bearded Dragon Never Drinks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Batrist

Hi guys,

We've had a jouvinile bearded dragon for about two weeks now, she typicaly eats fairly well, 15-20 crickets a day in the morning the odd small superworm as a treat, won't eat much for greens just yet. we do keep a waterbowl in her tank for her to drink from but i have absolutly never seen her drink water, spray her down nice and wet at least twice a day, typicaly while holding her so as not to over humidify her tank but even then she doesn't drink. she also doesn't drink while in the bath. Is this normal?

tank set up, 40 gal breader tank, 100 wat basking lamp, T8 30" 10.0 UVB mounted inside her tank as not to block UVB.
Solid substrate (sand mat) but not loose.
97-110 F typical on her basking spot (large branch)
75-80 at the cool end of her tank.

poops typically once daily.

anyway, yeah just wondering why she doesn't every seem to drink as I've seen video's of other beardies drinking water when sprayed or directly from a bowl.
102285-1675432618.jpg

MarlowAndMe

Juvie Member
My boy, Marlow, does not drink either that I’ve seen. I bath him regularly ( it’s a myth that they take water in by soaking) because it helps him poop and I offer him water when I bath him by dropping a couple of drops around his mouth just incase he ever decides to take some. I haven’t once had him drink via that though but it’s better to still offer. Since he won’t take it that way I rely on his food providing him water. When I wash his greens I leave some of the water on them and he eats them up with the water on. Other veges and fruit provide water too.
They also get water from well hydrated insects so if you feed his insects on fruit and vege that is washed and hydrate the bugs then your beardie will get hydration from eating the bugs
I’d just keep offering him Little drops on his nose when you are misting or bathing anyway incase he does decide he wants it - but make sure his veges are lightly misted in warmish water and provide a good variety.
I started with a water bowl in the vivarium but others here told me he won’t drink from standing water and they were right- he never touched it. So I removed it so it doesn’t add humidity to the vivarium and just make sure I still offer water daily and provide it in the other ways mentioned

SydneyGaia

Hatchling Member
Beardies rarely drink the way a dog or a cat would. When you are spraying him down, he'll get is water that way. Also, he is a secondary consumer of whatever water the feeders contain.

As long as there is a urate in his poop (the white part), everything is A-OK.

Batrist

Original Poster
SydneyGaia,

Hey thanks, Yes there there is always a white portion when he/she does her buisness, glad to hear, and funny I posted that just yesterday, cuz today as I sprayed her down, after a heafty cricket meal, she was licking some drops off her nose. First time I've seen her do that.

Thanks for the reply

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whokiry weth
Top Bottom