Brumation? Help is much appreciated!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everybody!

So about 3-4 weeks ago, almost 2 year old beardie Ron Swanson started acting a little funny. He became very lazy, had his eyes closed for most of the day, and stopped eating as much! I noticed a little crustiness(nothing major), over his eyes and began to worry. I did research, and ordered Terramycin. This helped his eyes clear up, however, his behavior remained the same! All he wants to do, is sleep. He shows very little signs of being uncomfortable, however as somewhat of a new beardie owner, i began to worry. After doing tons of research, it seems that he is showing signs of brumation. I have given him 2 baths this week, to make sure he is hydrated and even gently pinched the skin on his back to check for hydration, and he was good. What concerns me, is that he pooped about 3 weeks ago. He has ate very little food, but i still worry about this food remaining in his stomach and becoming an issue, if he is in brumation. I would greatly appreciate any suggestions. I thought about a vet visit, but he is such a healthy looking boy and I have had no prior issues until now. It is also very cold in Jersey at this time of year, which makes me further believe he is attempting brumation! Temps in tank are always 100-110 on basking side and he has plenty of shade on the other side of the tank.

Swanson is currently in a 40 gallon tank, with a Reptisun t5 HO 10.0 UVB(with terrarium hood), and a 75 watt high intensity basking lamp. I am almost done building a 48x24x24 melamine viv for him and will be done next week! If he is in brumation, do you suggest leaving him in his current enclosure until he is fully "awake" again?

Hi!

That does sound like brumation, however if you can, I'd suggest getting one last poop from him and getting tests done, just to make sure this isn't caused by some infection.

As for moving him, if you can't before he goes to sleep then I suggest you wait until he wakes up again before moving him. Just so he isn't as confused or stressed when he comes back from his long sleep.

RonSwansonBeardie

Original Poster
DuchesseTheBeardie":3qqwnkqe said:
Hi!

That does sound like brumation, however if you can, I'd suggest getting one last poop from him and getting tests done, just to make sure this isn't caused by some infection.

As for moving him, if you can't before he goes to sleep then I suggest you wait until he wakes up again before moving him. Just so he isn't as confused or stressed when he comes back from his long sleep.

Thank you for the reply! I am in search of a reliable reptile vet in my area, as I feel most places aren’t too experienced. Avidly searching though! Swanson looks very healthy and has a good weight, and practically hasn’t ate since his last bowl movement 3-4 weeks ago, so I think he is okay. This whole brumation thing as a newbie is scary! I’m going to give him one more warm bath tomorrow, massage his belly and attempt to stimulate a bowl movement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom