Baby Beardie Breathing Heavily

Status
Not open for further replies.

depaulov

Hey everyone!

I just got Newton 8 days ago and I am so in love. Except today he has been breathing extremely heavy - just like in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpWgM51NV-E .

I want to cry every time I look at him because i want him to be okay. His tank is all the right temperatures and he is kept in a 40 gallon. He is about 15cm long right now. Today he has eaten 6 crickets (3 pm where I live) and has went to the bathroom. I have a all-in-one light that came with the Exo-terra set and will be upgrading to the Reptisun 10.0 tube in the next week or so.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. ... I don't know anything about shedding, maybe this is the start?

Thanks,
Vic :D

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi Vic, sometimes they do this after eating too fast or if the insects were too large, what size were they ? Do you keep him out of the tank for any length of time during the day ? Have you soaked him in water at all ? All of those things can contribute to heavy breathing and sometimes [ but not always ] the start of an R.I.

I know you said they are fine but what are his temps. ?

depaulov

Original Poster
AHBD":w1zz0a6v said:
Hi Vic, sometimes they do this after eating too fast or if the insects were too large, what size were they ? Do you keep him out of the tank for any length of time during the day ? Have you soaked him in water at all ? All of those things can contribute to heavy breathing and sometimes [ but not always ] the start of an R.I.

I know you said they are fine but what are his temps. ?

I bought him juvenile crickets from Petsmart! I always make sure they are the really small ones (about half his head size). I rarely take him out of his tank - only if im holding himfor about 1 minute at a time. The cool area is around 73F and his basking spot is around 105F.

I have not gave him a bath as well

depaulov

Original Poster
AHBD":5zki1r7n said:
Sometimes it's just a passing thing and not a problem. Is he still doing it ?

Yeah he's been doing it for about 3 hours now. I'm trying not to worry because he looks like he's starting to shed so it could just be very uncomfortable. He doesn't open his mouth to breathe and he will stop the heavy breathing for a bit onoy to return to it. Ill see how the rest of the night goes.

Would it be a good idea to try feeding him again tonight or let him rest??

Thanks so much for the help :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgiarichmond
Top Bottom