Evidence of MBD-possiby from mother, also keeps flipping ove

Status
Not open for further replies.

eliska286

Hello All.

My husband and I got a young beardie almost a year ago and we noticed when he was still little (and still active and running around) that he was standing on his legs/feet oddly. Like they were bent in an odd position. We looked that up and I read somewhere, I can't remember where, unfortunately, but that MBD is usually caused by poor diet but can also happen if the breeder fails to give the mother beardie enough calcium/Vitamin D (way more than usual, because making the eggs takes alot of it) and it can cause the baby beardie to be born disformed or with conditions like MBD.

This is our second, our first lived a great life til about 8 years old and didn't have issues at all with this and only slowed down a week or so before he died.

With this one, we made sure to educate ourselves, as we found out we weren't doing a few vital things the first go around and we wanted to be sure to give a new one, the best care. My husband is really, really anal about his care so we still research everything before making a decision when changing something for him.

The real reason for my post is, before l, when he was little, he was active and didn't seem to have an issue getting around.
Now he has a great deal of trouble. It looks like one arm just barely wants to work or is partially paralyzed. He kinda has to wiggle around to get around in his tank. Doesn't use his legs as much. The thing that really worries us is he accidentally will flip over onto his back, I'm thinking because that arm is sometimes tucked up under him and there's nothing keeping him from rolling. He will end up on his back and it seems to take a ton of energy to heave himself back over. We try to not help him too much, because I don't want it to happen when we aren't here and he's gotten used to the help. If he stays too long, we have helped. I found him last night when I went to turn off his lights for his bedtime, he was on his back, nearly flat and not even trying to flip back over. It made my heart stop because you couldn't tell if he was breathing right away. I helped him back over and very gently moved his arm so that he wouldn't roll again. I had helped him and didn't do that with his arm and he rolled right back over.

He seems to be more reactive today, coming to the end of the tank to watch TV, he seems interested. He's even holding his head up so he can see better, we also have window he can look out of that's closed but next to the tank. (Don't worry, we made sure to keep ANY draft from being able to hit him from it.

I know brumation is in full swing for most beardies this time of year, but this isn't just that. His flipping really concerns me, especially if we aren't here. I also know, he seems to have been born with this because from the start, we've taken alot of care in making sure he was getting his correct diet for his age, size, etc. We also try to give him liquid calcium and we do follow the instructions for that and such.

Has anyone heard of MBD in a BD that occurred from the mom? We got him at PetSmart and we won't be doing that again, it seems like they purchase their BDs from a breeder that's not taking care with breeding healthy dragons. At least for whoever supplies our area. We will be adopting from a breeder that we can speak to and know the mothers care as well as the babies.

Please let us know what you all think. I don't want him to have a poor quality of life. I dont know where the line is from us caring for him correctly with this or when it could be time to talk to a vet to see if we are just leaving him in incurable pain. I hope that makes sense.

Thanks everyone and I apologize for the incredibly long post, I wanted to give as much information as I could

Elizabeth & Anthony

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, what's your beardie's name ? Sorry to hear about his condition. There can be a number of factors in play, aside from what you mentioned he was probably not cared for properly at the store. ADV [ tadenovirus ] is also a possibility , you can have him tested for a small fee at the lab where Drache613 [ one of the mods. here ] works.

For now, can you possibly post pics of him + his entire set up including lights as well as giving the brand + name of the lights and how old the uvb is ? Also exactly what he eats + whether you were using calcium as well as a multivitamin. Here's how to post pics :

https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ Then use the XIMG to upload them

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Sorry your boy has some issues! This is pretty common it seems. Calcium problems are so
widespread & can be caused by a number of factors.
It could definitely affect the babies if the mother wasn't sufficiently taken care of during the time
she was developing the eggs. Sometimes, part of the clutch has good calcium stores while the
other portion doesn't, depending on her calcium status when the eggs were developed.
Definitely, let us review your tank setup with you, just to be sure everything is good with it all.
Pictures are always helpful!

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom