Brumation???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacob1289

Hi everyone. My bearded dragon nika hasn’t eaten in like 3 weeks. She is lethargic, and today she was hiding under her log with her eyes barely open. Since it is November and very cold where I’m at (in Ohio) do you think she is starting to brumate? She’s never done it before and she’s almost 3 years old. (I’ve had her all 3). As someone who has never experienced brumation, can anyone give me tips on it and what to do? I know she has no parasites or anything because she was at the vet a couple months ago and she was fine. She also doesn’t like crickets (which carry most parasites) and eats mostly greens, superworms, hornworms, etc.

Her weight is also fine, she’s over a pound and has been for a while. She’s a fatty.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi Jacob, yes it's most likely brumation. Very common + very natural this time of year. When they are as hefty as she is they usually don't lose much weight at all and if they lose a bit, that's fine. As long as she's been healthy you can just let her do her thing. :)

Jacob1289

Original Poster
Thank you so much for the reply. I’m just not used to this behavior because she’s never done it. I’m sure we can all agree our beardies are like kids to us.

Jacob1289

Original Poster
Just one more question. What about calcium and vitamins? Since they don’t eat, do they need these still or not until they wake up?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
No need, the metabolic functions slow way down and they live off what's stored in the body.

Jacob1289

Original Poster
And if she has already pooped days ago and I didnt package it for the vet what do I do? She is already sleeping pretty much and won’t eat anything put in front of her. Should I force feed to get a sample or just keep giving baths? I don’t really know what to do. I’m sure she isn’t sick but I would rather know if she is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom