Help! worried about my beardies black beard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
So i took my beardie to the vet about a week ago for an eye infection they gave him some eye drops and antibiotics. I been giving him his medicine for about a week now. I just noticed that his beard is always black now. Im not sure if its the antibiotics or if he just irritated because i have to give him his medicine everyday. i also noticed that he doesnt seem eager to eat. He still eat but he doesnt jump to eat like he used too. he just lets it sit there for a few hours then hell eat. He just wants to bask under the heat. Im not sure if the antibiotics is making him this way or if he just feels uncomfortable because of his eye. Any tips?

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Exactly what are the meds the vet has prescribed and the dosage and treatment schedule ?

Is the vet a specialized REPTILE / HERP vet ?

I'd be talking to the vet about beardie's discomfort / pain levels . A permanent black beard is a signal that something is very seriously wrong.

If he's in pain (due to the infected eye (what was the diagnosis) , this can be managed by giving pain relief injections if he's BBing because his eye is very sore to make him feel more comfortable.

Alternatively he may be feeling very sick c/- of the antibiotics upsetting him.

Jasminep60

Original Poster
kingofnobbys":3vuxwblm said:
Exactly what are the meds the vet has prescribed and the dosage and treatment schedule ?

Is the vet a specialized REPTILE / HERP vet ?

I'd be talking to the vet about beardie's discomfort / pain levels . A permanent black beard is a signal that something is very seriously wrong.

If he's in pain (due to the infected eye (what was the diagnosis) , this can be managed by giving pain relief injections if he's BBing because his eye is very sore to make him feel more comfortable.

Alternatively he may be feeling very sick c/- of the antibiotics upsetting him.

The Vet is specialized in Reptile. He gave me Tobramycin Opthalmic solin .3% (eye drops) and he also gave me Enrofloxacin 50mg( antibodic) And im supposed to give him 1 drop of eye drops every 24hrs and 0.06 ml of antibod every 24 hours as well. He still active and roams around when i let him out and i thought maybe he was just stressed out so i gave him some cuddles last night and he feel alseep on my chest but his beared was still black. I think im going to give my vet a call tomorrow morning.

Jasminep60

Original Poster
So i took my beardie to the vet about a week ago for an eye infection they gave him some eye drops and antibiotics. I been giving him his medicine for about a week now. I just noticed that his beard is always black now. Im not sure if its the antibiotics or if he just irritated because i have to give him his medicine everyday. i also noticed that he doesnt seem eager to eat. He still eat but he doesnt jump to eat like he used too. he just lets it sit there for a few hours then hell eat. He just wants to bask under the heat. Im not sure if the antibiotics is making him this way or if he just feels uncomfortable because of his eye.

The Vet is specialized in Reptile. He gave me Tobramycin Opthalmic solin .3% (eye drops) and he also gave me Enrofloxacin 50mg( antibodic) And im supposed to give him 1 drop of eye drops every 24hrs and 0.06 ml of antibod every 24 hours as well. He still active and roams around when i let him out and i thought maybe he was just stressed out so i gave him some cuddles last night and he feel alseep on my chest but his beard was still black. His beard is still very black and now im worried. im debating on giving him his antibodics tonight because im afraid that its the antibod making him feel this way. He did not have a black beard when i noticed his eye infection. He only got his black beard when i started giving him his meds. Do u guys think i should give him his antibod tonight. im planning on calling the vet tomorrow.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Side effects (had to look these up) of the eyedrops :
https://www.rxlist.com/tobrex-side-effects-drug-center.htm
Tobrex (tobramycin ophthalmic ointment) is an antibiotic used to treat bacterial infections of the eyes. Tobrex is available in generic form. Common side effects of Tobrex include:
•eye burning,
•stinging,
•irritation,
•itching,
•tearing,
•redness,
•discomfort,
•sensitivity of the eyes to light, or
•eyelid itching/swelling.

If it's making him unhappy evidenced by the permanent BBing , I think perhaps you need to discuss this with the vet or seek out another vet for a second opinion and perhaps a "gentler" treatment for the infected eye/s.

Stopping antibiotics before being told to by the vet can result in drug resistance of the germs being treated for. Assuming the antibiotics are actually effective against the germs in the first place.
I'd be on the phone and talking to the prescribing / treating vet about the observed side effects, there may be a gentler prescription med that can swapped over to.

L&Short …. risky, talk to the vet.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That may be too much antibiotic for his system. Do you have pictures of his eye we could see
also?
I would get some probiotics such as non dairy acidophiliz or non dairy organic soy yogurt to give to him to help settle his tummy & improve his appetite, too.
Extra oral fluids will help him out & keep him from getting too dehydrated also.

Tracie

Jasminep60

Original Poster
kingofnobbys":24ttckty said:
Side effects (had to look these up) of the eyedrops :
https://www.rxlist.com/tobrex-side-effects-drug-center.htm
Tobrex (tobramycin ophthalmic ointment) is an antibiotic used to treat bacterial infections of the eyes. Tobrex is available in generic form. Common side effects of Tobrex include:
•eye burning,
•stinging,
•irritation,
•itching,
•tearing,
•redness,
•discomfort,
•sensitivity of the eyes to light, or
•eyelid itching/swelling.

If it's making him unhappy evidenced by the permanent BBing , I think perhaps you need to discuss this with the vet or seek out another vet for a second opinion and perhaps a "gentler" treatment for the infected eye/s.

Stopping antibiotics before being told to by the vet can result in drug resistance of the germs being treated for. Assuming the antibiotics are actually effective against the germs in the first place.
I'd be on the phone and talking to the prescribing / treating vet about the observed side effects, there may be a gentler prescription med that can swapped over to.

L&Short …. risky, talk to the vet.

I called the Vet but they were not able to see me today and they are closed for the rest of the week. I noticed this morning he did not have a black beard until i turned on his light. So im guessing his eye might be senstive to the light so i kept his light off for the day just to see if his black beard will go away and it did. Well thats until i had to give him his meds then his beard returned and he did not want to take his meds he keep trying to bite the syringe. so im guessing its the light and the everyday meds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom