My bearded dragon is limp and pale after a bath

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpstehm01

my bearded dragon, who is 1 year old, became pale and limp after I gave him a bath. The bath went well, but I accidentally turned the faucet on and it spooked him pretty bad and he started to try and scramble up the side of the bath tub. I quickly turned it off, dryed him off, and put him back in his tank. He was limp as soon as I pulled him out of the water, tongue slightly out, and eyes closed. He is also shedding. He doesn't respond if I touch him, and at first if I flipped him on his back he just layed there, but now if I do it he flips back. I don't know what I did, could it be the stress from the faucet?

It might be important to note that I put him in his tank, walked downstairs to wash my hands, and walked back up but when I walked back up he saw me and started to scramble up against the glass with his beard slightly flared.

I put him on his heating rock, but he hasn't moved since and that was like 5 or 10 minutes ago. what should I do?

Edit - I just flipped him over again, his beard is black, and he made a sound like he was choking but when he righted himself he stopped, opened his mouth a little more, and then closed it on his tongue. his tongue is still out and it looks like he is drooling a little bit.

Aaradimian

Juvie Member
jpstehm01":4tk2kixv said:
my bearded dragon, who is 1 year old, became pale and limp after I gave him a bath. The bath went well, but I accidentally turned the faucet on and it spooked him pretty bad and he started to try and scramble up the side of the bath tub. I quickly turned it off, dryed him off, and put him back in his tank. He was limp as soon as I pulled him out of the water, tongue slightly out, and eyes closed. He is also shedding. He doesn't respond if I touch him, and at first if I flipped him on his back he just layed there, but now if I do it he flips back. I don't know what I did, could it be the stress from the faucet?

It might be important to note that I put him in his tank, walked downstairs to wash my hands, and walked back up but when I walked back up he saw me and started to scramble up against the glass with his beard slightly flared.

I put him on his heating rock, but he hasn't moved since and that was like 5 or 10 minutes ago. what should I do?

Edit - I just flipped him over again, his beard is black, and he made a sound like he was choking but when he righted himself he stopped, opened his mouth a little more, and then closed it on his tongue. his tongue is still out and it looks like he is drooling a little bit.
This may be serious. Are you sure he didn’t aspirate some water? I don’t know what to do for that, but I’d search through posts on this site to see what more knowledgeable posters have recommended in such cases.

BigSkyMom

I hope I can help. How deep and what was the temperature of the water in the bath? You could have possibly shocked him with the temperature and depth, so I always make sure the bath is about 75F and shallow enough so he can touch the bottom. I don't recommend turning him upside down (if that is what you are doing), as he will deal with the excess water on his own by gaping, etc. Also, heating rocks are not recommended (check the FAQ section).

Esther19

BD.org Addict
I'm sorry your dragon is not doing well. The previous poster is correct. Beardie's sense heat from above, and therefore are succeptible to burns from heat rocks. I recommend holding your dragon flat on an angle with his head end down. This will help any water to drain out. You can fashion a bed for him with a washcloth or towel to maintain the angle. I hope this helps.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

It sounds like he aspirated on water & or choked which is extremely serious. For the moment,
keep his tank around 80 overnight, & place him on a slight decline for sleeping overnight to
help allow for any fluids to drain out should he have aspirated some.
I would highly recommend taking him into the vets tomorrow especially if he is not remarkably
better.

Let us know how he is doing.
Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom