New Beardie that was living in poor conditions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kendo97

Hi,
I just bought a 7-8 month old beardie from someone in my town and it was living in poor conditions. They had him in a 10 gallon tank and it was dirty with mold growing in the bottom. When I got him, the previous owners were using an infrared basking light at night and an exoterra basking light during the day. And thats all.... So, he has not been receiving any UVB correct? I just ordered a Reptisun 10 uvb tube light. (I am not using the red light, as I know that disturbs sleep)
So I am wondering if my bearded dragon may already be developing MBD? As far as I know, they were also not dusting his insects with calcium or vitamins either. He does not seem sick at the moment... but I am worried. Should I take him to the vet? I have been doing a lot of research in order to take care of him properly! Any advice is appreciated.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, can you post pics of him , full body shots to show his condition ? Also of his new set up if you already have it. All he needs for now is good food with proper calcium supplements, the right lights and some TLC. After he's settled in for a while you can see about a fecal test if he seems too sluggish, has diarrhea, etc.

Here's how to post pics :

https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ Then use the XIMG to upload them

Kendo97

Original Poster
Okay, thanks for the reply! I was just worried about him because of the lighting. I am still working on his tank, but here is what I have at the moment. I am in the process of getting a bigger tank for him and the new lights are on the way. The first picture is from the old owners and the others are him now. I think he's looking a little better.
101893-605543843.jpg
101893-1694592471.jpg
101893-4993420704.jpg
101893-6498877606.jpg

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
He looks like he's doing well considering his previous neglect. No signs of MBD, belly looks full and once you get the right uvb he should do well. :)

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Just a few of issues for you to sort out :

UV : please invest in an Arcadia T5 12% UVB tube no longer than 3/4 the length of the tank + a good reflector hood and mount these UNDER the lid.
Basking spot about 12" from the tube + reflector combo will give optimum levels of UVA & UVB when basking.

Hammock : be wary of nail snagging on the very fine mesh in the shade cloth style mesh one you have in the tank, this is dangerous to bearded dragons who regularly get nails snagged and can't unsnag them (result in serious nail, toe, finger, foot, hand, arm, leg , hip or shoulder injuries).

Very narrow hide : is a risk, bearded dragons need a hide that's wide enough to permit them to curl up and turn around underneath , else they can get stuck when trying to turn around under the hide.

Kendo97

Original Poster
Okay, thanks. I am still working on the tank and I plan on fixing it up more. As far as the hide goes, I did not think of that and it was just something the previous owners had so I left it, but i will get something else. I am in the process of getting a 55 gallon off of someone, and I will use some of these tips when setting it up:) I bought a light fixture with a reflector hood and new UVB lights, just waiting on everything to come in mail. I was expecting him to come with proper lighting/set up, but he did not :(

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Kendo97":yph4i083 said:
Okay, thanks. I am still working on the tank and I plan on fixing it up more. As far as the hide goes, I did not think of that and it was just something the previous owners had so I left it, but i will get something else. I am in the process of getting a 55 gallon off of someone, and I will use some of these tips when setting it up:) I bought a light fixture with a reflector hood and new UVB lights, just waiting on everything to come in mail. I was expecting him to come with proper lighting/set up, but he did not :(

Kudos to you …. adopting the dragon, and setting out to improve his setup and working towards making sure he has all his needs met and much better life from here on.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Another dragon saved! Thank you! I cannot understand why people get things they know nothing of or try to atleast learn on how to take care of - the internet is full of information - some good some bad - but for the most part helpful - I know I was one of those people that knew absolutely nothing about bearded dragons but was smart enough to go on the internet and learn as much as possible - and I managed to keep the beardie we got a live and well for 4 years before she died- of which we think she passed from old age- we were thinking she was 10- and at least she died a happier dragon- when we got her from the high school she was in a 20 gal tank w/ a red bulb and a timer on the lights coming on at 2 AM -- was never let out or handled-- and very unhappy! She never had a bath! We changed her world - got rid of the red bulb replaced it w / a reg HH bulb - got rid of the timer and started turning lights on manually and at normal hrs - she got baths and was let out of her tank pretty much daily- and we bought her a 50 gal tank of which she was much happier to be in- you could almost see the smile on her face after putting her in the bigger tank - most of all we gave her the love and attention she needed and had never got as a younger dragon! We miss her every day and I hope that we gave her enough love before she died knowing that not all of us are clueless and heartless! :(

Kendo97

Original Poster
Thanks everyone!
KarrieRee, aw I absolutely love that story! Sounds like you gave a her great life and she was lucky to have you all:) I agree! I’m definitley no beardie expert, but I have been trying to learn as much as I can! And I feel the same way with mine, you can just tell he’s a lot happier...
I think getting rid of the red light at night has made such a difference with mine. The first night I had him I left it on because that’s what they told me to do...and he did not sleep at all/scratched all night. So I knew something was up! Now I just wrap him up with a little blanket and he sleeps like a baby, it’s too cute!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kimberly_Eaton
Top Bottom