Bearded Dragon Baby Size Problem (Runt)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a baby bearded dragon bred group of 11. I separated the 5 smaller ones and the 6 bigger ones. Now, I removed the "runt" and moved her to a large cricket cage. Is there any way I can get her to grow faster? I am feeding her waxworms and crickets with reptivite. I don't want to sound stubborn, but calcium changes are not needed for me. Is there a food or anything I could give her? Oh! By the way, her tail is...um...literally bitten off...3/4. Please tell me if there is anything I can do. Also, I can not change the cage... I am stuck with it. Also, the vet is not a option because I have 16 pet lizards ...and since I am...underage by, like, 8 years, I can not bring her to a vet and such. Tell me if there is a reptile medicine or...something I can do.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

We need more information on the tank setup. If you have your dragon in a small cricket keeper,
that wont be enough space for him/her to grow. Are you using a UVB light of any type? If so,
what type/brand are you using?
The reptivite is ok, but wont provide enough calcium for a growing baby who has been injured.
Will he/she eat anything right now or not? What are the temperatures in the tank registering?
You will need to watch the tail for infection, so if most of it has been bitten off you can get
some raw, unpasteurized honey on it to help with infection.
He/she may end up needing some vet care though, as the tail injuries can be quite serious if
they become infected.
Do you have any pictures you could post?

Tracie

lizardgirlforever

Original Poster
We have him in a tank that is a foot and a half long, 3/4 foot wide, and 3/4 foot tall. He is doing way better. Yes, we have a 75 degrees lizard heat lamp, and 2 smaller not-for-lizards lights for light. I do not think he has infections on his tail, but can you give me a few details of what that looks like? Little Lucky (the runt we are talking about) is eating one waxworm a day and a few crickets. We built a small structure out of popsicle sticks but I do not know how to post a picture. Can you tell me how?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Poor Lucky, he doesn't have much tail left! :(
An infection would look very discolored, have puss/discharge & appear to be traveling up what
is left of his tail. It's hard to tell by the picture, but he does look alert.
Keep offering him food/insects daily. Are you using raw, unpasteurized honey on the tail now?

Tracie

lizardgirlforever

Original Poster
Where should you get unpasteurized honey? Would regular house honey work? If it's bad for the baby, or risky, I won't do it. Belive me. Also, Lucky is super alert now and he seems really active. Most of the time, me basks. However, when you put him where other lizards can see him, he literally looks terrified. Poor baby. Is there any way I can help the poor little Lucky?

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
lizardgirlforever":300hh4yz said:
Where should you get unpasteurized honey? Would regular house honey work? If it's bad for the baby, or risky, I won't do it. Belive me. Also, Lucky is super alert now and he seems really active. Most of the time, me basks. However, when you put him where other lizards can see him, he literally looks terrified. Poor baby. Is there any way I can help the poor little Lucky?

You MUST separate the hatchlings immediately if they are attacking each other.
Each needs to behoused in it own rearing tub see this for how to do this : viewtopic.php?f=34&t=233480

Visit the chemist , ask for a tube of Activon (Medihoney / Manuka honey).
Looks like this http://www.advancis.co.uk/products/activon-manuka-honey/activon-tube , make sure there are NEVER any left over crickets, roaches or locusts left in the injured hatchlings' rearing / hospital tub.
I strongly suggest a visit to a vet to have the injured tail cleaned and examined. Your parents need to take charge and provide adequate food and care.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Sometimes you can find regular, unpasteurized/raw honey in the grocery stores. Manuka honey
is specialty but some grocery stores are starting to carry it with their honey selections now.
How is your baby doing, is he still improving?

Tracie

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Drache613":3il1uyge said:
Hello,

Sometimes you can find regular, unpasteurized/raw honey in the grocery stores. Manuka honey
is specialty but some grocery stores are starting to carry it with their honey selections now.
How is your baby doing, is he still improving?

Tracie
Check the grocery store medicines & painkillers and first aid isle …. you might find Activon there.

lizardgirlforever

Original Poster
Oh yes. Lucky is super alert now. He usually does not run around, but stays in one place for quite a while and then moves. There is a little space behind the water bowl (water bowl is pushed up into a corner of the cage) that I find Lucky a lot, sleeping. It seems when he gets too hot, he goes over there. I have seen him chasing crickets, although I can not get him to eat greens or fruits.

lizardgirlforever

Original Poster
Sorry Lucky. This is a tribute to the little runt who stole everyone who met him's heart. Lucky passed away 5 months ago, in December of 2018. Sorry, Lucky. He died when I got home one day, he was in between the water bowl and the glass tank wall. He seemed to have drowned. Bye, Lucky.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom