Prolapse?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dante54

Hi all, need some advice. I have a two year old female bearded dragon named Sassy. Sassy has a pooping problem to where she will hold it in for weeks, and let it all out at once. I already took her to the vet and $450 later, sent me home with laxatives. It helped for awhile but she’s still doing this. (From April of this year). Well today, she did it again and when I went to clean her up, I noticed she may have a slight prolapse? She’s still acting herself and doesn’t look to be in pain or anything. Her diet is always been the same, crickets, Dubias, and greens. I will take her to the vet if need be, but I would like some advice from you all or if maybe I can do something at home to help. Thank you. (Sorry if the pics aren’t good, she doesn’t sit still :p)
102034-6685331883.jpg
102034-127006709.jpg

Scion19801

Hatchling Member
Keep it moist on her vent area. You could try some vaseline and gently work it back in. Thats a small prolapse. Try soaking her in warmer than usual water as this will help her to go. I hve a 2 yr old female thats the same way. Refuses to poop until bath time.

Dante54

Original Poster
Scion19801":pbu5h5b3 said:
Keep it moist on her vent area. You could try some vaseline and gently work it back in. Thats a small prolapse. Try soaking her in warmer than usual water as this will help her to go. I hve a 2 yr old female thats the same way. Refuses to poop until bath time.

Ok will do! I’ve notice that it slowly goes back in. I knew this would happen sooner or later. It just boggles my mind on why she holds it in and let’s it all out. I mean it was a BIG poo. She pooped all the time when she was smaller. They are weird creatures ?

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
http://www.anapsid.org/prolapse.html

Prolapses are not a trivial thing for a reptile :
You can try soaking the lizard in a cool bath to which sugar has been added. Heavy concentrations of sugar in the water will act to draw out the fluids engorging the swollen everted tissue; this may reduce it enough to be inverted by the lizard.
The tissue may be rinsed with fresh water and Betadine, and carefully pushed back in with a gloved finger lubricated with KY Jelly (the type without the spermicde).
Extreme care must be taken in doing this as, if the colon contains fecal matter and the colon tissue is pierced in the attempt to replace it, severe, even fatal contamination and injury may result.

If the soaking does not work within an hour, and you do not wish to attempt manual replacement, the lizard should be placed on a damp towel and taken to the vet as quickly as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom