man made tank killing my dragons???

Status
Not open for further replies.

mch10312015

I have never owned dragons and built a tank with a heat lamp and many aspects I thought a dragon needed. I purchased two dragons and I had found out after one of my dragons died that I needed a uvb bulb for them. After Georgia died I replaced the heat lamp with a double dome system to accommodate heat and 13W ubv coil bulb. Sysco the remaining dragon is now acting as Georgia did before she died. Not eating and lethargic. Is there chance he can be saved now that I have switched the bulbs?
102026-16286122.jpg
102026-414888850.jpg

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, first of all that is a really beautiful tank, you put a lot of thought + hard work in to it. So nicely decorated as well. The problems will be that it's just a bit too tall, the varying floor heights may not all be utilized + even with good uvb the dragons could be in a section where the uvb does not reach.

The uvb bulbs you have now are not strong enough, but even with that being the case I don't know for sure that was the real problem. If both dragons have become sick it could actually be several things, one being atadenovirus [ ADV ] Aside from being lethargic did you see any seizures at all ? Did either of them arch their heads back at a sharp angle ? [ stargazing ] How do you take the temps., what were they eating , type + size of insects and did they drink water at all ?

Can you post pics of each floor of the tank [ and it really is beautiful, I feel so bad for you ] And a pic of the dragon showing full body ?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I agree that the 13w is not going to be enough, especially for a nice big tank like that. It's quite a nice enclosure. What are the dimensions? I think a T5 tube is your best bet in an enclosure like that. It can be mounted to the ceiling right next to the basking light.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
CooperDragon":3q3w3rwu said:
I agree that the 13w is not going to be enough, especially for a nice big tank like that. It's quite a nice enclosure. What are the dimensions? I think a T5 tube is your best bet in an enclosure like that. It can be mounted to the ceiling right next to the basking light.
or a 120W MVB , since the tank is tall and not very long , it would need to caged to stop dragons from leaping , climbing and touching the very hot glass of the globe.

To the OP : how old and how big ( body weight ) were both dragons when you bought them ?
At death ?
Now for the sick survivor ? (photos).

]
To the OP : one tank , one dragon , please don't house two bearded dragons of any age together except for very brief encounters in breeding season to do the deed.
How did the first dragon die ?
Is the second injured ?

Dragons are fully capable of killing each other and the presence of a second dragon in a small area will be very stressful to a dragon.

Also to the OP : I see feeding dish overflowing with appears to be dried mealworms - if this was the main protein source , this a very likely culprit for your dragons' health issues or definitely contributed .
Likely issues caused
<< fatty liver decease
<< impaction
<< dehydration
<< malnutrition
<< MBD , also contributed to by the poor UV source (13W compact UVB globe , too far away to provide enough UVB to synthesis VitD3 and metabolise dietary Ca).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom