Runny Liquid Smelly Poop!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lytarie

Hey all.

I have already booked in to see the best reptile vet I could find in the area but in the meantime I thought I would post here to get some thoughts/advice on what could be causing this?

I purchased Peach, the adult female bearded dragon just over a month ago now. Up until somewhat recently all of her poops have been normal looking as far as I can tell. But as of late they have been runny and smell a lot worse than usual.

After doing some research I think it could be some sort of parasite but would like some opinions if anyone's experienced anything similar before?

This is by far the largest and runniest poop she has done to date.

She is currently in a 3FT vivarium that I purchased her with whilst I am working on building a 4FT vivarium stack for all my Beardies. Temperatures are about 115 on the hot side and 90 on the cool side.

I will also mention that when I went to see the reptile vet about a month ago he gave me what he said was an all round reptile worming medicine and that I should worm all my animals when I bring a new one into the collection. This was the first and only time i've ever heard of this and after doing some further research I read most people saying things along the lines of "Why pump medicine into your dragon if there isn't an issue that needs solving". Which made a lot of sense to me so up until now I haven't used it.

I believe the worming medicine was called Panacur?

I have been feeding her vegetables daily (Rocket, Carrot, Kale, Sweet Potato, Bok Choy, Pak Choy and the occasional fruits) live food 2 - 3 times a week(Superworms and Crickets whilst my roach colony gets setup). Calcium 5 days a week and multi-vitamin 1 - 2 times a week. Also giving her weekly baths.

Sorry for the massive essay, just wanted to cover everything in-case anything I am currently doing raises any red flags with those more experienced.

46217926_192186678384158_2325561027975970816_n.jpg

46015882_346237509307018_2721010993474830336_n.jpg

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is definitely a large, watery stool!
Did the initial vet perform a fecal on her to determine what the worm or parasite could
be? Panacur is a deworming medication but wont really work for coccidia at all.
What type of thermometer are you using to measure the temperatures with? I recommend
using a digital probe or temp gun for the most accurate temperature readings. I would
lower the basking spot to a range of 95-110 with a cool side of around 78-85.
What type/brand of UVB are you using for her?
It is highly likely she had higher levels before you got her though. This is a pretty common
issue.
You could try getting some basil, mint & oregano & blend it up with some other greens &
water to help with parasites, too until you can get it all figured out.

Let us know how she is doing.
Tracie

Lytarie

Original Poster
Drache613":3mggh41v said:
Hello,

That is definitely a large, watery stool!
Did the initial vet perform a fecal on her to determine what the worm or parasite could
be? Panacur is a deworming medication but wont really work for coccidia at all.
What type of thermometer are you using to measure the temperatures with? I recommend
using a digital probe or temp gun for the most accurate temperature readings. I would
lower the basking spot to a range of 95-110 with a cool side of around 78-85.
What type/brand of UVB are you using for her?
It is highly likely she had higher levels before you got her though. This is a pretty common
issue.
You could try getting some basil, mint & oregano & blend it up with some other greens &
water to help with parasites, too until you can get it all figured out.

Let us know how she is doing.
Tracie

Hey, thanks for the reply.

The vet didn't preform a fecal test as I took her in just for a general checkup as she was a new animal and that's when he asked if I had ever wormed my beardies before. I said no so he recommended I wormed them all everytime I got a new animal into my collection. Sorry if I didn't make that clear in my original post, a lot of rambling haha.

I'm using a temp gun to read the temperatures. I live in Queensland, Australia and it is coming into summer here so it's really hot most of time time. I have lowered her bulb a few times and am currently using a 28W heat lamp from the pet store. I was previously using a 50W bulb from a department store but it was too hot. I am using a compact UV bulb currently but wanting to switch it out for a UV tube, not sure of the brand at the moment, can check in the morning, I think either exo terra or repti glo?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
El heffe
Top Bottom