Bearded Dragon Baby Runt/Tail Nipping

Status
Not open for further replies.
My baby bearded dragons are doing fine. We have 11. However, the last one born was born 2 days after the rest. It was drowing in it's egg, so it cut it out. It was doing okay, but now it's tail is mostly bitten off. I separated the dragons so that 4-5 of the smaller ones (including the runt) was in one section of the cage (divided by cardboard) and the bigger guys in the other side. It is literally "bitten off completely." I don't know what to do. The other babies all have very little or little amounts of tail nips. I am worried. What in the world should I do? Help me quickly! This would be a topic at the vet if I were older and able to drive. If it is a really super emergency, maybe I will but maybe you have a solution. Please help me as soon as you possibly could ever do! Please hurry!

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
I concur , once he's got his own individual tank you'll be surprised how quickly he'll begin to thrive , he'll be very much happier and a lot less stressed as a result.

This is how I set up my rearing tubs : viewtopic.php?f=34&t=233480

Should be very inexpensive to set up even a dozen 50L - 60L tubs sharing a few long t5ho 12% UVB tubes in reflector hoods and every pair of tanks sharing a par38 basking globe , all lined up along a wall.
ie an ALL SET 50L tub W:395mm H:305mm L:570mm is plenty big enough for a hatchling younger than 2 months , a 46" long T5 tube will cover 3 easily and the hatchling will be at the perfect distance from the tube.
TIP : get tubs with white opalescent (not see through) sides , else the hatching will be stressed by it's next door neighbours who can still dominate him by body language along.

lizardgirlforever

Original Poster
Thanks. Could I use a cricket cage with cardboard on the outside sides so that I can set it up quicker and easier? I want the best for my little "runty" so...would it be okay?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Maybe just for overnight but that would be too small for him to have a proper heat gradient where one end is about 105 F and the opposite end is about 80. The plastic tote can be bought at walmart or Dollar store for about $6-$8 . You can hang the long tube uvb light fixture over both tanks at the same time and just set up a heat reflector like a have in the link picture in my other post. [ aluminum light dome also at walmart for about $10 ]

lizardgirlforever

Original Poster
Okay, thanks. The runt (tail bitten off) is about 4 inches or less. Probably less. Also, how many gallons/liters can the cage be? I put him in a tank (glass) not too big and not too small.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Daniefran04
Top Bottom