Baby beardie stargazing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Santo

So I just posted a couple days ago to ask for some help with my new baby bearded dragon. Her name is Baby. This Sunday I will have had her for 2 weeks. She has not been eating very well at all and is not super active. So today I wake up, and I find her with her head pointed straight up :-( Now I'm freaking out because of the info I read about stargazing and Atadenovirus. Every time she has ate I have dusted the dobia/crickets with calcium, and since Monday she has had about .5cc of Repta Boost everyday. I was going to stop giving it to her on the advice of another member, but I'm afraid she's not getting enough nutrients due to her poor appetite. I'm going to attach some pics if anyone can let me know what they think? I am going to call Petco and see when their vet will be in as the employee there told me in the first 30 days I can bring her in for a checkup. Next after that would be an actual vet appointment if needed. Maybe I'm over reacting, but this has been very stressful since day one and I just want to do everything I can to help her have a good start to life. She hasn't shown any other symptons of Atadenovirus like loss of balance or twitching or anything. If I put her on her back she flops right back over and starts climbing. Her stress marks have been out all morning though, as you might be able to see in the pics. Her bottom half is pretty gray so I'm assuming she was getting ready to shed and thought maybe that is bothering her, but the head pointing is very concerning. She's not doing it all the time, but often enough that I'm very worried. Thank you in advance for any help!

Basking:
qn8glz.jpg

When she first woke up:
4tsgmt.jpg

Trying to see if she will eat:
j6qvcg.jpg

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Poor Babe, it can be ADV but sometimes is related to other problems. Is she breathing O.K ? What size crickets was she eating, and be very specific. Is she pooing ? I would continue the Reptaboost but get some nutritios Repashy grub pie to mix in with it. Does she willingly lap up the Repta boost ? If so, that's good, keep er hydrated by adding just a bit of extra water.

Santo

Original Poster
Ok so I have had Baby since last Sunday. In that time she has pooped 4 times. All 4 poops were solid with a good white urate. The very last poop two days ago was a little runny, but I have been giving her baths every day as well as the Repta Boost so I figured being a little runny (but still shaped) was probably ok. The crickets that she ate for me on two occasions were baby crickets. The smallest ones Petco has. They come in the clear plastic box in a 36 count I believe it was. She ate 5 one day, and then two days later she ate 5 again. Two days ago I started giving her baby dubias. They are pretty small but bigger then the crickets and she ate 5 of those as well. She has not pooped yet today though I thought she would because it seems like she poops two days after each feeding. Yesterday she had no interest in food at all and was getting very stressed out when I tried to get her to eat so I gave her baby food squash with calcium mixed in. When I feed her with a syringe she usually chomps it right up. She'll only do about .5cc at a time of anything I try, but she will sit there and keep slurping until she's had enough and then she'll turn her head and back away. This morning when I tried to get her to eat, she wouldn't again so I did a little squash again. All of these feedings have calcium powder mixed in as well. Whether it's dusing the crickets/dubia or mixing it in with the baby food. I have such a bad feeling that she came from a bad place and there isn't anything else I can do aside from a vet visit =-(

or, the breathing thing too. So she does breath fine, but she has started to open her mouth more often when basking and even a couple times when I was giving her a bath. She'll just pop it open for a second or two and then close it. It doesn't seem like she's having a hard time breathing as far as I can tell. She also has been rubbing her face on the bark, but her tail and rear legs are pretty grey and I think she will shed soon.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That definitely could be adeno virus related, or, a respiratory issue, too. An infection can
cause balance issues or neurological trouble, too.
Since you haven't had her for very long, it's doubtful your setup has caused any problems so
quickly. She was having trouble when you first got her?
Is she still eating?
What type/brand of UVB are you using right now? She could also have some calcium problems,
too even at her age. Were you able to get her to the vet at Petco?
Let us know how she is doing.

Tracie

Santo

Original Poster
Hi,

I am using an 18" Repti Sun 10 bulb for UVB. I also ordered a 36" Arcadia T5 12% bulb and fixture that should be here next week so that the entire enclosure will have good UVB. The Petco manager was of no help at all. I am bringing her to an actual vet. He actually told me that a baby beardie will only eat a few crickets every couple days :-/ and that's fine. Are you kidding me??? But the last couple days have been up and down. Sometimes she seems fine and nice colors and others she looks really stressed and black. She has also been gaping more and I'm starting to think it's not gaping and actually a URI that is getting worse. She even does it in her sleep sometimes :-( As for eating, also up and down. But at most she will eat 5 dubia one day and nothing the next day. I'm still giving Repta Boost. She also did poo last night which looked ok so that made me happy. But it did smell horrible which had me a little worried.
I will check back in after the vet visit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mnstorm07
Top Bottom