Glass surfing only in morning when lights come on

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maddiemoo

My beardie Cyka is coming up 2 years now, he’s just over 12 inches long and he’s fed morio worms, mealworms, and given lots of veg (even though he doesn’t really eat the veg), and his tank size is roughly 60cm x 120cm x 70cm so about 133 gallons. His tank is heat up by 2 100w heat bulbs, one normal, one infrared (only replacement I could get my hands on). His tank is kept around 35 Celsius, but because his heat source is at the back, the cool side is at the front and is only around just under 30 Celsius. He has a UVB strip bulb that’s due a replacement in about 3 months time, and a heat pad at night beneath where he sleeps. He has reptile carpet substrate too.

Recently for the past couple of weeks, as soon as his lights come on and he wakes up, he’s been glass surfing very loudly. My lights are on a timer and so most days he wakes up before I do, but his scratching it so loud it wakes me up and puts me in a bad mood for the day.

I haven’t changed anything in his tank except for a heat bulb that stopped working, it was an infrared bulb too, and I replaced it with a more powerful infrared bulb (75w upgraded to 100w). Everything else is the same, and he gets bathed regularly and misted with a spray daily.

Does anyone have a clue as to why he’s doing this and what I can do to help? He’s fine by midday, just in the mornings he goes crazy and I’m worried.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
When you mention an infrared bulb are you talking about a CHE (just infrared) or is it giving off visible red light? If it's giving off visible red light that may be bothering him and I'd swap it with a bright white heat light.

Are you measuring the surface temperatures around the tank? Generally you want the basking surface to be between about 38-42 or so with a gradient down to around 24-29 or so during the day.

Which model of UVB tube are you using? How far is it from his basking area?

If you can post some photos of him and his setup it might be helpful. You can upload photos here https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ and post them to your thread using the XIMG button.

Maddiemoo

Original Poster
CooperDragon":3uhzw81z said:
When you mention an infrared bulb are you talking about a CHE (just infrared) or is it giving off visible red light? If it's giving off visible red light that may be bothering him and I'd swap it with a bright white heat light.

Are you measuring the surface temperatures around the tank? Generally you want the basking surface to be between about 38-42 or so with a gradient down to around 24-29 or so during the day.

Which model of UVB tube are you using? How far is it from his basking area?

If you can post some photos of him and his setup it might be helpful. You can upload photos here https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ and post them to your thread using the XIMG button.

Very sorry for such a late reply!!! I went to a local reptile store near me and asked about the situation, and we eventually discovered I had bought a 2% UVB bulb for my beardie and not his usual 12%! No wonder why he wasn’t very happy. I quickly replaced the bulb and he’s fine now, he’s back to his usual lazy self, basking most of the time ?

Thanks for your help though

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgiarichmond
Top Bottom