Eye + Respiratory infection?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gev

This issue dates back to last year, around this time. My bearded dragon was lost outside and managed to survive for 2 weeks in the wilderness during the fall. My neighbour found her, and she was in fantastic condition. We took care of her properly when she came back, but her condition has steadily declined to where it is now.

Yes, I understand that she needs to see a vet ASAP, which I plan to do, but I would like to receive some advice in the meantime that can help her as I save the funding needed to get her healed. She has some respiratory issues(open mouth to breathe, noise when she tries to breathe occasionally, etc.), and her eyes are now drooped (pictures attached below). She still eats live food properly, but I need to hand-feed it to her and she won't eat it if we leave them in the cage(Hornworms & Mealworms only - she hates crickets now). Currently, I puree a mixture of fruits and add vitamin supplements into the blend to ensure she gets the proper nutrients. (Picture below)

If I had to pinpoint her issue to something exactly, it would be her lighting. I was influenced by a shop owner that getting a UV bulb was completely fine instead of buying a UV strip from a competitor and it is my biggest regret to this day.

Can I help reduce the swelling of her eye?

Has anybody ever faced a similar issue? What did the vet classify the infection as?

What would be the approx costs of a vet visit & the medication in Vancouver, BC?

Thank you for the time, I appreciate all the help. Every time I see her I want to cry. She's 4 years old and has brought so much joy to my life.

full

full

full

full

full

full

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
She looks pretty good overall. I'd go easy on the bugs and focus on getting her into a variety of fresh veges every day. The slurry you make can be helpful, but it's best if she starts eating on her own. She is perhaps a little overweight so I wouldn't worry about force feeding her much.

When did her eyes start looking droopy? Some of them just have eyes that are looser due to genetics. It may not be a problem at all but it's still best to get her diet and lighting straightened out.

When you do see a vet, it might be a good idea to have a blood test done in order to better determine how her systems are functioning. There are some folks on here from BC who may be able to help refer you to a good vet.

As far as lighting goes, a good UVB light is essential. I'd go with a 24 or 36'' T5. I'm not sure what the best sources are available to you but this is an excellent bulb https://www.amazon.ca/Arcadia-T5-Desert-UVB-Watt/dp/B004XVIIRE/ and will work well with a grow light fixture like this https://www.amazon.ca/SunBlaster-0900302-Nanotech-Reflector-Medium/dp/B0748CH4B9/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
El heffe
Top Bottom