Sick Beardie / Won't Eat / Vomiting - The Story of Drogo

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrogoTheBeardie

Hey Guys,

Thanks for taking the time to read this - this is the first time I engage in any sort of forum. I'm here because Drogo (I've had him for 2 years now) is my first reptile and I hope to receive help and assist anyone else who may be going through the same scenario.

When I first got Drogo I was interested but also indifferent to having a reptile. A family friend who often rescues animals dropped him off in a tank with only a heat lamp (he came for free from a post on offerup). I didn't know ANYTHING about him, what to feed him and what care he needed.

My basic googling prompted me to buy him a larger tank, and a UV-b light. (I recently found out 1.5 years later that I need to change these about ever 6 months). His substrate has also always been grounded almond sand. Since he's an adult I read that impaction wouldn't be an issue, it never has been.

We took him to a local reptile shop who said he looked to be an adult so we primarily fed him crickets (which were left in the tank he came in until they died or he ate them because we didn't like to deal with them) then we slowly transitioned to mealworms. He wouldn't get excited for the crickets so when he became excited for the worms this became the primary protein of his diet. He'd eat as many as he wanted every few days plus but we did skip calcium on a regular basis (he would spit out his food anytime we'd sprinkle repticulcium). We weren't religious with it and try to get some in about once a month or so at a minimum.

Over time he's done generally well weight wise, behavior, etc. We take him out of the tank for sun rays, leave him on our floor to interact with our dogs, bathe him once every 1-2 weeks, mixed greens and veggies in his diet at least once/twice a week but have mostly always kept to the mealworms.

Please excuse my knowledge. I'm continually learning and everything I've experienced has been new for me. I know I haven't had the best practices (in retrospect) but I've always had my intentions pure for my dragon.

In summary, I thought I was doing what's necessary for him but he's slowly deteriorated and finally had to take him to the vet.

I left out of town a month ago. It was around that time that we also moved his tank to a higher piece of furniture about 30 inches taller with a bit less of a view. He was eating just a bit less but wasn't of any concern.

When I got back 10 days later he was still eating less but it finally started being noticeable after more time passed in between meals, he'd only pick at the first worm or two, and his stool was also getting smaller.

The day we took him to the vet (Friday) his stool was barely an inch long. A fecal sample was done and parasites were found. The vet gave Drogo a 14 day lasting antibiotic, supplement shot, dewormer, and force fed him about 5-6 mealworms (the first two he voluntarily ate). If i remember correctly Drogo weighed in at 360 ish grams. We were instructed to force feed him and bathe him everyday. The vet also gave us a once a week oral deworm syringe. He told us to clean our tank, change substrate to sand, and change the bulbs.

Saturday we had him outside in the sun for about 3-4 hours on our porch in good sunlight. Bathed him/he drank liquids, fed him again about 3 worms, he kept his food down until Sunday when he finally pooped and all seemed well.

Sunday we cleaned the tank, changed bulbs, tried to feed him again about 3 more worms in the afternoon. (I came across Sarahs bearded dragon rescue website). Monday, yesterday morning right after he was basking in the morning sunlight outside he threw up what we tried to feed him as well as the food from the previous night! (About 5 worms total).

This is when I read that force feeding insects can be bad so we switched to feeding baby food with a little calcium in a syringe. And he also got a 1/3 parts pedialyte/water orally and a bath.

Last night/this morning he threw up what we fed him in the syringe. I'm concerned he's not eating enough and he's pretty skinny. I've noticed after we try feeding him he has this "hiccup/gasp". I'm not sure if he's gagging, doesnt want the food, etc.

Today he's had only about a 1/2 teaspoon of apple butternut squash baby food.

I'm having questions now like: how long does a bearded dragon take to recover? I've read about how antibiotics kill appetite, and kill good flora, so I'm trying to get more information on what I should feed him and how much every day (supplements etc).

Google has been my best friend and I feel his environment is where it should be with temps (cool side between 75-85 / basking 90-100).

I figured that the best way to learn is by reading and asking better questions so any advice would be greatly appreciated. I want to do what I can to make sure he survives. I feel guilty because I know I'm responsible but I'm dedicated to putting in the necessary work for him!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It sounds like he has deteriorated a bit so I'm glad you came here for help. We'll do the best we can to help you get him back to good health. I'm also glad you found Sarah's site. She is a very helpful resource as well.

Can you review his current setup? Which UVB light are you using and how far is it above his main basking area? What are the surface temps around his tank?

I suggest using a solid substrate like non adhesive shelf liner or tiles because they are easier to clean/sanitize. His diet should be mostly veges as an adult but let's focus first on getting the lighting and temps configured properly.

Can you post some photos of him and his setup? You can upload photos here https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ and post them to your thread using the XIMG button.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Poor Drogo...I agree with Cooper's recommendation of getting rid of the loose substrate. He may actually be eating some and have an impaction. Even if not, you will eliminate that risk which is important now that he's sick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom