HELP!! I gave my dragon spinach and now I think something i!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TonyaN

HELP!! Please!!! I’m really worried!! What can I do to help him??? Not good at using phones or computers, so I’m trying to figure out how to use this site.. I hope I’m doing this right.. PLEASE Someone HELP ME.. If possible send me an email on how to help him in case I can’t figure out how to check for answers at “ Tonya514ioud.com “ PLEASE HELP

Pastella

Having Spinach one time is fine. It isn't necessarily harmful, just not recommended. The only bad thing about it is it binds calcium which is bad but that would only happen if he continuously ate Spinach.

Why do you think something is wrong, how is he acting?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I agree, a few spinach feedings will not harm any lizard one bit. How is your dragon acting ? List his tank specs., his size, age, how long you've had him, what he normally eats, etc. Something else will be the problem if he's sick, post back with symptoms....hope he's O.K !

fcooper

Hatchling Member
It has about twice the amount of oxalic acid (A chemical that binds calcium and makes it impossible for the body to utilize) as calcium, therefore any calcium found in spinach will not be absorbed by the body due to the oxalate. That doesn't mean you should avoid spinach all together - it contains other nutrients that are important, but it does mean it should only be given in small amounts as an occasional treat.

TonyaN

Original Poster
Thank you for all the reply’s. He is actually my ex-boyfriends.. But I recently moved backed in with him as a roommate. I started trying to learn how to care for his bearded dragon because I am home all day and I have been watching him constantly, I’ve been concerned about his care and noticed he has started sitting with his mouth open almost nonstop... I’m trying to learn so I can help him and give him the proper care. As far as I know he is approx 6 months old. Has only had one bath that I gave him two nights ago after reading that they need them. He is in a 50 gallon tank with sand, which my ex has never cleaned his tank. I read how bad that is.. Any suggestions on how I can help him and care for him the way he deserves would be greatly appreciated.. I’m want to learn as much as possible so I can assure he has the life and atmosphere he so deserves.. I fell in love with this little guy and will do whatever I can. Thank you all for help!!! I’m truly grateful

TonyaN

Original Poster
Hi, I already wrote back regarding to reply’s I received, but not sure I did it right .. I just noticed a place to click to respond to replies, so I am trying again.. Please be patient with me as I am not use to using anything online.. So if everyone that replied to help me, if you can please read the new post I added then please do.. My ex never holds or interacts with his bearded dragon, his outlook on him when ever I bring up my concerns to him is that “ He’s A Lizard” “He’s Fine”. I see by the short time I’ve been around and watched him that it’s NOT TRUE... I need help and all the advice I can get to help this little guy.. My heart hurts for him and I feel very attached to him and want to give him the life he needs and deserves.. So Please Please help... Please remember I’m not good with computers, but am trying my best to learn for him... Thank you all again

No worries, you're doing fine with using the computer. You mentioned that your bearded dragon has his mouth open often. Do you have a thermometer to check the temperatures in the enclosure? Beardies will gape to help regulate their temperature if they feel too hot. I think you mentioned he is around 6 months old, so a juvenile dragon is recommended to have basking (warm) side of an enclosure at around 95-100 F and a cooler side at around 80-90 F (source: https://www.beardeddragoncare101.com/proper-temperatures-bearded-dragon/).

The other common reason for gaping in beardies is respiratory infection. According to PetMD.com,
typical symptoms of a respiratory infection include:

Difficulty breathing
Mouth held open while breathing
Unusual wheezes, crackles, or other sounds while breathing
Discharge from the mouth and/or nose
Lethargy
Loss of appetite
Weight loss

There can of course be other reasons for gaping, but those are the two most common. Good on you for wanting the best for the little guy, even though he's not technically yours. Best of luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bearded dragon
Top Bottom