TAIL ROT?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

VickyAC

Hey guys

I was noticing that my beardie's tail is turning black and hard I think it's tail rot.
I don't know how to treat tail rot or if it's even fixable.
Do you guys know a method?
I will post a picture

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
It is shriveled up, do you know if something happened ? It may just fall off + be fine or it may need to be amputated. That would be pretty simple, they don't feel much pain back there and a vet could do it easily. Some people would do it themselves with a sharp, sterile pair of scissors. This guy even has a video : BTW, your dragon would not need anywhere near that amount cut, just slightly above where the damaged area ends. [ about 1/2 " above the bad area ]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjZMuttq44A

The only thing I would do different is to just soak the tail once a day, that would be fine.

VickyAC

Original Poster
I have no idea of what happened
Do you think I should wait until it falls off or do I amputate it?
Is it going to spread if I don't?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
It wouldn't hurt to cut that little bit off, but you can wait to see if it gets worse. If you feel more comfortable going to a vet be sure to choose only a vet that has experience with beardies. I'd hate to see you end up with one that has no experience, costs you a ton of money and doesn't know how to handle it.

At this point it's not serious at all so you have time to decide.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Vicky,

I agree, it looks like some type of issue & the tissue is dead or dying. It isn't infected though,
but keep an eye on it. If you want to snip the end off, just be sure there isn't any feeling there
so it doesn't hurt your dragon..

Tracie

VickyAC

Original Poster
Hey guys!

We just amputated siracha's tail tip and the surgery was successful.
She is currently sleeping, there's no bleeding and she has a lotion that heals the wound.
I will keep you posted.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Vicky,

That is wonderful news! I'm glad to hear the amputation went well. I am sure she will be just
fine, no infection or anything is present. Just use the ointment daily to help keep any infection
away.
Let us know how she is doing.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jelynnm
Top Bottom