WORMS IN CRICKETS??

Status
Not open for further replies.

BriLeigh1

I went to go feed my beardie her protein this morning and saw this!! I’m terrified, there’s a few in there just crawling around and what if she’s eaten one. Please please tell me what these are (it was hard to get a good picture of them bc they’re so small)

101276-2217219631.jpg

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, that Q comes up on this forum every now + then. Those are the larva of the Dermestid beetle, they are used as cleaners to eat up shed + poo from the crickets and are harmles to your beardie. Beardies actually like them but since they [ the worms ] are scavengers it's not advised to feed them to your beardie on purpose in large numbers, but they are not toxic one bit. Many b.d. owners have dragons that ate this , including mine. No worry at all. :)

Oh, they do turn in to a small black beetle and can fly a bit at that stage so just watch that you don't get a number of them in your house. Not that it's a problem, I've had about 25 years worth of crix in my hose [ along with those larva ] and not one thing has ever done damage or escaped + became an infestation.

Chesse18

AHBD":3bw3chf7 said:
Hi there, that Q comes up on this forum every now + then. Those are the larva of the Dermestid beetle, they are used as cleaners to eat up shed + poo from the crickets and are harmles to your beardie. Beardies actually like them but since they [ the worms ] are scavengers it's not advised to feed them to your beardie on purpose in large numbers, but they are not toxic one bit. Many b.d. owners have dragons that ate this , including mine. No worry at all. :)

Oh, they do turn in to a small black beetle and can fly a bit at that stage so just watch that you don't get a number of them in your house. Not that it's a problem, I've had about 25 years worth of crix in my hose [ along with those larva ] and not one thing has ever done damage or escaped + became an infestation.
Well actually, the little worms I've got are smaller and look to be feeding ON the crickets... they're also yellow/cream colored. It also seems odd that I've got a large batch of dead crickets the same time I see these... I've never had any batch like this before...

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi Chese, you must have some type of fly larva on yours. Your crix died + probably attracted the scavenger flies [ gnats + other type of small flies ] that laid eggs in the dead crix like they do in all animals. That's a different thing altogether. BTW, this thread is a year old , if you want to start a thread with Q's + some pics that could be helpful. But the ones in the original thread here are not the same as what you are seeing.

Chesse18

AHBD":3kcemsw7 said:
Hi Chese, you must have some type of fly larva on yours. Your crix died + probably attracted the scavenger flies [ gnats + other type of small flies ] that laid eggs in the dead crix like they do in all animals. That's a different thing altogether. BTW, this thread is a year old , if you want to start a thread with Q's + some pics that could be helpful. But the ones in the original thread here are not the same as what you are seeing.

Yeah I apologize I commented on the wrong thread, sorry! I had my own thread I just commented on the wrong one. Mine had a similar title

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom