Baby beardie with black toe

Status
Not open for further replies.
My baby beardie (maybe two months old- just got him from a pet store approximately 2.5 weeks ago) injured one of his back toes about four days ago. Initially he had a small abrasion with a bit of bleeding that resolved in about an hour.

Over the past two days the toe has become black, stiff, and thin. The baby is still running/jumping and using the toe as he normally would, but occasionally it seems like he will hang the foot off of his basking spot. The blackness hasn’t spread up the foot and there might be very slight area of swelling at the injury site, but I can’t tell if it’s just the normal bump of the joint.

Do I need to take my baby to the vet to have the toe evaluated? Or will the toe just fall off on its own?

I have been giving him diluted betadine baths for the foot and applying Neosporin at bedtime. He has maintained a normal appetite/pooping schedule.

101865-2872378477.jpg
101865-128354249.jpg

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Poor thing, it looks like he hurt it somehow in the tank at the petstore. He was housed with
other dragons at the store so there is no telling what could have happened.
Does the darkness seem to be isolated or is it traveling upwards? It doesn't look infected, but
I would definitely keep an eye on the area to be sure it doesn't get infected. Most of the time
if there is no infection, it should dry up & fall off, yes.
Is he housed alone now?
Just keep the toe clean with diluted betadine & you can use raw unpasteurized honey or the
manuka honey to help with any infection.
Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

MotherOfDragons6

Original Poster
Hi Tracie,
Thanks for the reply. The darkness does seem to be isolated and it hasn’t spread, I’m just a little worried about whether the infection could spread to his foot.
I’ve been giving him diluted betadine baths regularly and using plain Neosporin (not the pain-relieving kind) at night. He has been housed alone since I brought him home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom