Tail rot and no appetite

Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe my beardie has some tail rot. The last couple days he doesn't care to eat.

Tail rot: The very tip(1/4 inch of 3+ inches) of his is tail is blackish. I have a vet appointment Wednesday the 24th set up to get him checked out. It's been a little over a week since I noticed the discoloration. The last few days I've been doing betadine soaks and been putting on neosporin. It doesn't APPEAR to have gotten worse or better.

Recent feeding: His appetite has been poor the last week but he'd usually eat something. The last couple days though, I can put roaches in front of him and he doesn't seem to care. I've been feeding baby food with a syringe so he gets some vitamins and moisture. I can get him to eat a roach or two if I peel open his mouth and press them in.

I'm looking for any advice that can be offered. I'm not sure if I should attempt to amputate the tail tip myself, or wait for the vet appt, or maybe find an emergency vet. My concern is him not making it till Wednesday.

Additional info
Length: 7 3/4 inch
Weight: 18 g.
Temps: 105-110; 85-90; 75-70.
Daily baths about 10-15 minutes.
UVB: Reptisun 10.0 purchased early September.
Previous eating habits were 6-10 1/4 inch roaches 2-3 times a day.

Pic taken Oct.15th
101696-430852790.jpg

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, the lack of appetite may or may not be related to the tail. How long have you had him > Can you post pics of his set up, showing the light fixtures ? You may have a good bulb but it must be close enough, too.

Were you giving him daily baths before you noticed his tail or just after ? He may be upset by the baths + extra treatment of his tail.

RedFred1426

Original Poster
AHBD":2lz99nx3 said:
Hi there, the lack of appetite may or may not be related to the tail. How long have you had him > Can you post pics of his set up, showing the light fixtures ? You may have a good bulb but it must be close enough, too.

Were you giving him daily baths before you noticed his tail or just after ? He may be upset by the baths + extra treatment of his tail.

I got Fred Sept. 9th. UVB is mounted inside tank. If anything I'm concerned he can get too close to it. I forget the brand of bulb for his basking light. It is 75 watts, but I imagine as long as it is kicking out the right amount of heat it doesn't matter. Daily baths have always been a thing for two reasons. One, he doesn't really eat his veggies, so I do it for hydration purposes. Two, I do it to help shedding. He doesn't enjoy his baths yet. He either tries to escape the tub or just sits there. I do not feel I am upsetting him with these baths enough to change his appetite. Generally climbing up my hand if I offer it. When I do the tail soaks he just sits on my hand and I dangle his tail in the solution. I doubt it bothers him much.

When I got home today, I noticed some very loose stool on his basking rock. I took some pictures to show what I found.

Link to pictures. http://www.d.umn.edu/~gebha105/fred.html

RedFred1426

Original Poster
Quick update

I picked up some crickets to see if he'd eat those. He was much more interested in them then the roaches. He ate ten.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
That's good that he ate 10 crix, some dragons just like different feeder insects. And yes, the uvb is pretty close, as long as he's not squinting or keeping his eyes closed a lot it may be fine, otherwise it should go on top of the screen. The vet should get that tail tip off with no real problem, should be cut just above where the bad tissue ends..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom