Impacted bearded. Pelvic bone preventing defecation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok I have 1 yr old female dragon the is having trouble defacating. Tank setup is fine. I am giving her baths 3 times a day and feeding a mixture of baby food squash with oil and reptile vitamin supplement. Now I am sure I will get her back to normal soon but my question is what is wrong with her pelvic bone. She struggles to poo for about 5 minutes and will huff and black beard a little. I have found out while wearing gloves that I think her pelvic bone is blocking her colon. I have just started "helping" her by pushing the bone very gently back upwards and she will get a little more out. I dont know if its mbd or not. I'm wondering if anyone else has this problem.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
what substrate is she living on ? photos of tank .

what is her diet ?

how long has this problem been going on ? if longer than 2 weeks or she's in distress she needs to be seen by a REPTILE VET pronto .

SirGoatsAlot

Original Poster
I'll post a picture tomorrow morning when I get up. Reptile carpet for substrate. And diet is mostly greens. Its mixed pack from walmart with alot of staple greens. Bok choy and whatnot. As well as horn worms, dubia roaches, crickets, and superworms. Live is fed lightly.

SirGoatsAlot

Original Poster
She has fully black bearded a few times before but only the edges turn black when struggling to poo. She doesnt seem to be in pain otherwise. She is very active and alert. I have two dragons actually (not housed together) and their lights dont come on for another half hour. So no pictures just yet.

Last time it happened was about a month ago,I think it was to many superworms that time. She doesnt normally have trouble going other times. I'm currently looking for a vet near me that actually knows what they are doing. And when I have the funds next month I will be able to bring her in for more information.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
I think you need to have examined by a vet well be for the start of November, especially if she is straining so hard to poo.

Are the urates hard large and very dry or softish and moist (can be squashed) ?
Are the feces hard and dry too ?

The longer this allowed to continue the more risky and expensive the treatment will become , she could suffer organ failure and not make it the vet.

Where are you located ? I'm sure we collectively can put you into a good reptile vet , and many vets will set up payment plans in emergencies like this.

In the meantime , NO MORE SUPERWORMS for her AT ALL.
Stick with soft moist foods that wont contribute to any GIT blockages and wont cause more stream straining to go to the toilet.

Silkworms are an excellent staple and wont contribute to this, may even help improve her hydration levels and soften up the poos and urates.
Purees of greens and veg from now on until you get clearance from the vet to resort to a more solid diet.

SirGoatsAlot

Original Poster
I'm in Hoffman, Minnesota. In the US if that matters. Ive emailed a few places to see if they have a doctor that knows what their doing. She is on a baby food diet right now.

Also her poo is soft. She gets more out each time she goes. She doesnt go very often in her Viv. So bath is the only option for her. Gotta get her on a bath schedule.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
SirGoatsAlot":2qqpbloc said:
I'm in Hoffman, Minnesota. In the US if that matters. Ive emailed a few places to see if they have a doctor that knows what their doing. She is on a baby food diet right now.

Also her poo is soft. She gets more out each time she goes. She doesnt go very often in her Viv. So bath is the only option for her. Gotta get her on a bath schedule.

Emailing them indedicates to me you aren't taking on board how serious this is …. I'd pick up the phone and call them.

Minnesota is a tiny place , so you should have no problem getting you dragon to one of these vets :
http://www.anapsid.org/vets/minn.html

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
SirGoatsAlot":o4bvfhxi said:
Anyone have or heard of the initial problem ive asked about?

Yes - I've seen a very similar problem in the last 4- 6 months with a very elderly skink …. (Wriggles the water skink).

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, I very highly doubt it has anything to do with bone structure. It always comes down to diet, hydration and proper temps. Multiple baths are not necessary, just continue the concoction you are using but add extra water. She will almost certainly go any day now. One bath a day, warmer than usual can help. A wee bit of vaseline with a q-tip around the cloaca might help a bit as well, get it up inside a tiny bit.

Are there any foreign objects in or out of the tank that she may have eaten ? Does she drink any water on her own ? Take at least one day a week to offer no food but a dropper with water. Be patient, drip, stop, repeat on the snout/mouth area. A gentle spray with a bottle can work also.

SirGoatsAlot

Original Poster
My dragons wont touch the water dish at all. For a while she was pooing in the dish which was fine. At least she was going.

She had a large piece of hard urate stuck... Just got it out so now waiting for her to go again in a few hours. Problem should clear up and thinking about getting some cucumber for them.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I know, most beardies don't drink from a bowl, that's why I mentioned a syringe, eyedropper or spray bottle. 100% of my dragons from a few days after hatching [ which I hatched many ] to all my adults drink that way.

Your dragon is dehydrated, indicated by the hard urate. Keep up the baby food squash and add extra water. She will go, some just take longer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom