Dragging back legs-Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sauzo

Sub-Adult Member
So Harley is 5 years old and overweight. I had her to the vet early last week. The vet took xrays and did a blood test. She said there was no impaction or broken bones and that her calcium level seemed a little elevated. She originally was just not using 1 leg. She also does not poop unless you soak her and seems to strain. The vet said she saw no impaction but she is very overweight. She is 718 grams and probably about 1.5 feet long. Well about a week later and now she is not using her other back leg. I've been giving her olive oil and soaking her and she strains to poop. She also is not eating and seems to be wanting to bromate. She is still alert and no black beard or anything so I don't think she is I pain.

Her cage set up is 2 Zoo Med T5 HO 10.0 tubes as well as a basking spot of around 100F. She doesn't like veggies and loves her hornworms, butter worms, dubias, silkworms. She will eat some collard greens, blueberries, butternut squash, apple, grape etc. But recently she doesn't want to eat anything.

Also her back between her back legs seems to be a bit arched which doesn't seem normal. She hasn't fallen or anything.

My question is could she still be impacted and the xrays don't show it? The vet took a top view and side view. She said there might be slight arthritis which is weird in a 5 year old beardie but with her excessive weight, who knows. I plan to call the vet on Tuesday as that is the soonest she is in but I am wondering if it could still be an impaction? Should I keep soaking Harley every day and giving her a few drops of olive oil?

Sauzo

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Here are some pics.
31443802758_669d36cefa_h.jpg

45317713671_d1784f561d_h.jpg

Sauzo

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
An another question for those that might know, could all the fat in her belly/back area push against her spine causing the back legs to be paralyzed? She still will pull them and if you try and gently straighten them out. Also the vet did a test and would just tweak all her toes and she would react and pull the leg that was having the toes tweaked. Like i said, i plan to talk to the vet again this week but for peace of mind until then, do any of you think that that much excess fat could do that as her back isnt straight and flat. The middle of her back arches up as well as her rear end unless she has her upper half on the hammock. Then once her belly can hang down, her back and rear end straighten out. I feel so bad for caving and giving her butter worms all the time as she loved those things. The vet told me that are not good. She said hornworms, dubias, silkworms and black soldier fly larva aka phoenix/reptiworms are good.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Poor big girl. :( Can you post the xrays here ? Was the vet sure to look at them well enough to see if she's possibly carrying eggs ? Might she possibly have eaten a foreign object, either in or out of the tank ?

Sauzo

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Dont have the xrays here. She checked for eggs and said there was none. She showed me the xrays and said she had a little food in her stomach but otherwise, she looked empty of eggs, poop, or a blockage. She said though that she was very fat and showed me the side xray where you could see all the fat in her belly area. She didnt eat anything outside the cage as i always watch her when i have her out by me and inside the cage, i have made it beardie proof from when she was a baby.

She doesnt seem to be in pain as she doesnt black beard or anything and is still alert. I just dont understand. She was fine prior to last sunday and then i saw she was dragging the one leg and got her into the vet on tuesday and now 4-5 days later and she is dragging the other leg. I soak her and she always seems to strain to poop but she always does poop though.

When i told the vet all the info, she thought maybe an impaction or egg bound which is why she did the xrays but those showed empty and her leg wasnt broken, just possibly the start of arthritis probably from her weight all these years. She is consulting with a radiologist to double check the xrays to make sure she didnt miss anything. She also did the blood work to check as well and said everything looks good except for a slightly elevated calcium level but i dont understand how if she is empty, her other leg would start dragging

And she has this....her spine isnt straight unless you let her belly hang down some. I didnt notice this before and i want to ask the vet about it. Could this be caused by the fat pressing up into her spine? Abd ignore the weird scale thing. I too the pic through the glass so no idea why it did that. Mostly just want to point out the big ramp up from the tail to the back.
31449581428_5707db33e6_h.jpg

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Hm, do you have a copy of the blood tests, as well as the x-rays? That is very odd. It kind of
looks like eggs but not sure what else would be causing those issues. Maybe an enlarged liver.
If you can post the blood test results that would be great.
This came on all of the sudden?
How do you have the tube bulbs mounted, on top of the screen top or underneath of the screen
top & what is the distance of the bulbs to her?
Can you think of anything that may have impacted her at all?

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom