"Swollen" beard and small lump on throat *URGENT*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vilderup

Hello people,

my 8 month old beardie "Chili" got a "swollen" beard 5 days ago and I can now feel a small lump inside her throat, I have two bearded dragons, so I have compared the two. I can't feel a lump on the healthy one, so what can it be? Cyst, abscess, tumor??? (I am new to keeping dragons)

She has been eating very well, greens and insects (dubia, crickets and superworms) dusted with calcium powder combined with vitamins. The basking light is around 100 f and she has multiple levels to choose from (high, mid and low). She is still very active and runs around, exploring. The lump doesn't seem to bother her.

Photos:
https://imgur.com/a/E2rMQH7

What should I do? Should I worry and take her to the vet or what?

Any advice would be appreciated!!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, some dragons do just develop a saggy beard, other times it can be a piece of food lodged down in there. Can you get Chili's mouth open for a good look ? If not you might opt for a vet visit , but only an experienced vet that sees beardies, or at least has a decent amount of experience with reptiles. Best wishes to Chili !

Vilderup

Original Poster
AHBD":1xwkr5hx said:
Hi there, some dragons do just develop a saggy beard, other times it can be a piece of food lodged down in there. Can you get Chili's mouth open for a good look ? If not you might opt for a vet visit , but only an experienced vet that sees beardies, or at least has a decent amount of experience with reptiles. Best wishes to Chili !

Thanks for the reply and your wishes! Yea, I know some just get a saggy beard, and I have seen pictures of this from my local pet shop who raise bearded dragons themselves and they have one with the same saggy beard. I will try to look down her throat to see if I can see some food lodged in there. I also emailed the local vet with some pictures. They are experienced with reptiles, especially beardies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgiarichmond
Top Bottom