Being treated for respiratory infection, but he won't eat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

OhMyNord

Hi, I recently took my beardie, Cato, who is 8 years old to the vet as he wasn't eating and wasn't moving about a lot. He was diagnosed with respiratory infection, which he is having regular injections for, but he refuses to eat? I'm having to force feed him and he hates it. My vet said I have to get him eating again so every day I give him a couple of worms, but I want him to eat normally again. He has always had such a good appetite, so it's really upsetting for him not to want his food :(

He had his first injection on Friday 05th, second on Monday 08th and his next one is Thursday 11th.

Has any one else had this issue? If so when did your beardie start to eat on their own again?

destiny1998

Extreme Poster
Photo Comp Winner
Hi. Lots of times those antibiotics cause a decrease the appetite. Try giving probiotics. That should help restore the good but flora.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Any discussion with the vet about using nebulization of the antibiotics & or F10sc 1:250 strength rather than ineffective antibiotics via injections ?

Nebulisation is a very efficient and effective way to get the meds deep into the lungs were the RI has formed , see viewtopic.php?f=45&t=232783

Bumping up the temperatures 24/7 while beardie is sick will also help (by increasing the metabolic rate and boosting the immune system).

Another thing that should have been discussed is giving the sick dragon a special high potency food substitute such as Oxbow Critical Care or VetaFarm CrittaCare Reptile via syringe , even if it means only 1ml / 100g body weight per meal /say 2 or 3 times per day given very slowly with a dab of honey to encourage a feeding response / licking response.
I'd try VetaFarm HerpaBoost by syringe for a week or so before upping the ante to Oxbow Critical Care or VetaFarm CrittaCare Reptile.

If the dragon is very critical , you may need to restort to giving the food (as a slurry, puree via a feeding needle and feeding syringe , see viewtopic.php?f=45&t=232687

OhMyNord

Original Poster
Thanks for the lengthy reply! I have never heard of this nebulization technique but will discuss with my vet asap.

His temps are fine overnight, not dropping below 70f/21c. Do you still recommend using extra heat in the night?

He's not that ill to be fair. He seems a lot better in himself, actually moving around now but still not his old self. Still having to force feed him which is what I want to stop, he hates it and so do I :( I'll look into vetafarm herpaboost now.

Thank you for this, means a lot!

Would this be any good, as I'm in the uk and can't find Herpa boost. http://www.petsathome.com/shop/en/pets/reptile/reptile-healthcare/reptile-supplements/reptoboost-dietary-support-for-reptiles-100g-%28online-only%29

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
OhMyNord":257fzyac said:
Thanks for the lengthy reply! I have never heard of this nebulization technique but will discuss with my vet asap.

His temps are fine overnight, not dropping below 70f/21c. Do you still recommend using extra heat in the night? <<< I think it will help for while he's sick to nudge the overnight minimum temperature up to maybe 26 degC.

He's not that ill to be fair. He seems a lot better in himself, actually moving around now but still not his old self. Still having to force feed him which is what I want to stop, he hates it and so do I :( I'll look into vetafarm herpaboost now.

Thank you for this, means a lot!

Would this be any good, as I'm in the uk and can't find Herpa boost. http://www.petsathome.com/shop/en/pets/reptile/reptile-healthcare/reptile-supplements/reptoboost-dietary-support-for-reptiles-100g-%28online-only%29

I've not used Reptoboost …. but if it's got similar ingredients to Herpaboost …. it's worth trying.

OhMyNord

Original Poster
I found some vetafarm herpaboost and have ordered it, so should be here soon. Gunna give the vet a ring to discuss with him. Thanks for all your help!

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
OhMyNord":3lu52cvv said:
I found some vetafarm herpaboost and have ordered it, so should be here soon. Gunna give the vet a ring to discuss with him. Thanks for all your help!

Is very thick , needs a really good shake to mix it in the bottle and I find an 8G straight crop needle does a good job of drawing the mixture out of the bottle into a syringe , I'd invest in an 8G crop needle & a 10ml clear plastic syringe (with screw on nozzle) , can be kept in the syringe between uses.
The Herpaboost needs to be kept refrigerated between uses and will keep several months.
VetaFarm told me that the needle and syringe need a bore of at least 2mm to make the thick suspension useable via syringe (but I was discussing depositing in the reptile's stomach, a cone 12G cone like shown here will work if just depositing in on the mouth or on side of the mouth : viewtopic.php?f=45&t=232687

OhMyNord

Original Poster
Guys, I really can't thank you enough for all this information! Hopefully going to get my boy back to full health :) He's 625g so not exactly skinny, which is a good sign. Just not feeling himself and not eating due to this infection, I have a suspicion he has parasites as well... so this herpa boost is going to work a treat through this period!

Again, thank you all. This forum is such a huge help!

OhMyNord

Original Poster
Me again! Had some thoughts today, I know Cato is being treated for a respiratory infection but I think he may be trying to brumate? His eating had decreased, he'd eat a few worms and now he isn't eating, he's always just laying around, usually under his hammock and doesn't poop often. Basically I had two beardies in separate tanks and the one passed... since that he's been acting different, not as hungry or active and that was in the summer. Which is why I took him to the vet when he stopped eating altogether, but now the weather is changing I feel it may be brumation as well.

It's hard to know what to do because the vet said he had an infection, but he doesn't seem much different to me after four injections? I weighed him today and he's 625grams, which is a healthy weight, so he's obviously not starving!

What are everyone's thoughts? Should we leave the poor bugger alone to brumate, or shall I continue trying to find the reason for his decline in activity and eating habits? The vet wants to do blood tests but I'm reluctant due to money and the fact I don't think he's all that unwell?

OhMyNord

Original Poster
So my vetafarm herpa boost came today, Cato has had his first dose today. He's seeming a lot better just more active and alert, which is nice :) Hopefully now this stuff can get him eating again!

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
OhMyNord":3d9q01nn said:
Me again! Had some thoughts today, I know Cato is being treated for a respiratory infection but I think he may be trying to brumate? His eating had decreased, he'd eat a few worms and now he isn't eating, he's always just laying around, usually under his hammock and doesn't poop often. Basically I had two beardies in separate tanks and the one passed... since that he's been acting different, not as hungry or active and that was in the summer. Which is why I took him to the vet when he stopped eating altogether, but now the weather is changing I feel it may be brumation as well.

It's hard to know what to do because the vet said he had an infection, but he doesn't seem much different to me after four injections? I weighed him today and he's 625grams, which is a healthy weight, so he's obviously not starving! <<<< don't let a sick reptile brumate is the advise I've received from my reptile vet …. you need to keep the sick reptile warm , feeding and basking and this all helps boost the reptile's immune system.

An mild URI can very easily become a life threatening dose of pheumonia if you allow the sick reptile to brumate while sick.
Only ever allow a healthy reptile brumate .

What are everyone's thoughts? Should we leave the poor bugger alone to brumate, or shall I continue trying to find the reason for his decline in activity and eating habits? The vet wants to do blood tests but I'm reluctant due to money and the fact I don't think he's all that unwell?

OhMyNord

Original Poster
Okay thanks, I have kept him awake always getting him out and he perks up then. So glad you guys are on here with so much knowledge! Can't wait for my little boy to be back to full health :)

OhMyNord

Original Poster
Cato has been given the all clear, the vet now thinks this is brumation due to me force feeding and him gaining weight again. I have to monitor his weight and keep an eye on him but can relax a bit on the force feeding!

Hopefully this is over now and I can have my boy back :)

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I'm glad that you did do the nebulizations on him! They are highly effective & work so
much more quickly than oral meds/antibiotics or injections most of the time. Especially
if it is proving to be a stubborn infection.
Cato is a great name too! I hope he is feeling better now. A lot of them are preparing
for brumation so just keep an eye on him & be sure he doesn't lose much weight. Hopefully
he will get through it all fine. I think you can slow down on assist feeding now & let him
rest, he definitely deserves it! LOL :D

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom