Need help ASAP. Ingested substrate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Beardie name(s)
Daisy, Loki, Rocket, Phoenix, Mulder & Scully. Non beardie pets: Stan (Leo) Cayde (Hognose) Tillery (cat)
I went to feed my ball python a pinkie rat and I had recently switched out her substrate from paper towels to eco earth because I heard it was better at retaining humidity. So when she was eating the mouse, stupid me forgot about the dangers of her getting a mouthful of the substrate, and she did.

She seemed to have trouble swallowing so I gently moved her to a quarantine container to watch her and she has a mouthful of the eco earth. She seems to be having trouble swallowing it and it almost seems as if it's stuck in her mouth. :( Please help I don't know what I can do.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Sorry to hear that happened! I am not sure, as that has never happened to me.
You could attempt to pry her mouth open with a spatula & moisten a few swabs to see if you can
try & clean out her mouth. Do you have anyone that can help you with that?

Tracie

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Daisy, Loki, Rocket, Phoenix, Mulder & Scully. Non beardie pets: Stan (Leo) Cayde (Hognose) Tillery (cat)
Thank you for the quick response. :)

Ok I think she has swallowed it all, I helped clean the rest out with a Q-Tip. But will she be ok? Will she get impacted or anything?

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Yes, I also use long Tongs since she gets a bit nippy during feeding time. Actually last week/feeding time she actually completely missed the mouse and coiled around the tongs itself Lol.

Thankfully she seems to be doing fine now. :) I Just got worried because she got an entire mouthful of the substrate and she seemed to be slithering backwards with her mouth open so I went and tried my best at cleaning the substrate out with some Q-Tips.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Ok, great, so she is doing better now? That's good to hear. At least she got some of it down
& you were able to clean the rest out of her mouth, too. :D
Did she hold down her food also?

Tracie

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Yes, she is doing great, she did keep her food down and hasn't seemed to show any more problems. :D View media item 60474 Her just enjoying her tank lol.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That was my concern, her keeping her food down. I'm glad she didn't have any issues with that
then, from having problems with the substrate, etc. :D
Great, it sounds like she is fine now.

Tracie

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Yeah I am glad too. :D she seems to be doing good. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom