Got my Beardie yesterday and he still hasn’t pooped

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought my beardie yesterday from PetSmart (I know not the best idea) but I just had to have him. I loved the colors of him and I was looking to buy one anyway. I bought some food the worker at PetSmart told me I should get, it wasn’t live food. I will be getting some live food in a couple of hours. I have a ten gallon tank to start out and will buy a 50 gallon when he gets bigger. I have a basking light and a uvb bulb. The basking temp has stayed right around 103 degrees and the cool spot is around 83 degrees. I have decor for him to bask on and a water bowl. I just gave him a bath for the first time and he didn’t seem to mind it. He did drink while he was in the water. He hasn’t eat much of the food at all, maybe like 4 little red pellets but none of the dried bugs that comes in the food. He also hasn’t pooped at all since I’ve had him. He also seems to be very lazy and not very active. He moves some but not very much. His eyes stay closed a lot of the time. Please help as I am worried. I know I just got him yesterday but I’m already attached. What am I doing wrong?

destiny1998

Extreme Poster
Photo Comp Winner
Hi. You definitely need live food like small crickets, Phoenix worms, Silk worms and Dubai roches. You can feed those pellets to the feeders. The dried bugs are not good for him no nutrition or moisture. They can also cause impaction. Next is the set up. Sound like a (_kit) is what you bought. Unfortunately those usually are crap. The uvb is probably a coil/compact. Those cause lethargy, appetite and she issues. You want a reptisun 10.0 t5 long tube. Next you need a bigger tank asap and a digital thermometer with a wire probe or a temp gun. I wish pet stores would stop selling those kits.

Mosscory90

Original Poster
destiny1998":316yvx1t said:
Hi. You definitely need live food like small crickets, Phoenix worms, Silk worms and Dubai roches. You can feed those pellets to the feeders. The dried bugs are not good for him no nutrition or moisture. They can also cause impaction. Next is the set up. Sound like a (_kit) is what you bought. Unfortunately those usually are crap. The uvb is probably a coil/compact. Those cause lethargy, appetite and she issues. You want a reptisun 10.0 t5 long tube. Next you need a bigger tank asap and a digital thermometer with a wire probe or a temp gun. I wish pet stores would stop selling those kits.

I actually didn’t buy a kit. I originally had a 50 gallon tank that I was going to put him in but we dropped it when cleaning it and it shaddered. I already had him at the house so I just ran to Walmart and bought what they had. As far as lights go, I have a reptisun 10 uvb (not sure if it is a coil or not though?!?!) and a 75w reptisun basking light. I plan to get a new tank when he gets a little bigger. He hasn’t eaten any of the dried bugs at all, only a few of the pellets.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
It's always exciting to get a new beardie, and I know that's just how you feel ! I'd love to see pics of the little cutie. :) I can tell you that Destiny is 100% correct, you need a bigger tank and the proper lights. The long tube Reptisun 10.0 t5 is what you need, the stores usually sell coil/compact bulbs which do give off some uvb but it's a gamble as to how much. He is already lethargic so you need to set him up correctly ASAP. And get only small live insects [ no mealworms ] for him or you'll be in big trouble. I raised beardies for many years and they are delicate as babies, they need very small crickets until they;re over 7-8" so please get all the right stuff.

You CAN use a medium tote from Wakmart set up like this as a temp. tank. This is how I used to set up my hatchlings + up to 10-12" long. There's a heat bulb and a good uvb bulb across the top. A few sticks and egg crating are fine, but you prob. have some pet store decor.

https://www.beardeddragon.org/media/30051/full

https://www.beardeddragon.org/media/29889/full

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom