Really sick (and possibly egg bound!) Help! (RIP Cisco).

Status
Not open for further replies.

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Beardie name(s)
Daisy, Loki, Rocket, Phoenix, Mulder & Scully. Non beardie pets: Stan (Leo) Cayde (Hognose) Tillery (cat)
Cisco REALLY has not been her normal happy self at all lately (started Tuesday night). she has had a black beard ever since Tuesday night, and sunken in eyes Wednesday at around 1:00 PM, and Refusing to eat Thursday at around 3:00 PM, and now Lethargy Friday at around 9:00 AM.

I am Extremely worried about my baby and I really want to know if she is ok. ☹️ and I can't get her to a vet anytime soon (soonest would be sept 25th probably).

When I pick her up she gulps up air and then snuggles with me. She also has had a slightly firmer stomach of that helps.

Photos (day by day documentation of her):

View media item 60823View media item 60479View media item 60605View media item 61160First day of showing signs of sickness.

View media item 60712View media item 60865View media item 60688View media item 60915Second day.

View media item 60944View media item 61021View media item 60510View media item 60530and Finally today.

View media item 60603 and a collection of her through the past few days.

Other things to add: We're taking all three beardies on a 10 hour drive tonight and going to be out of town for a week with the beardies.

I Will post updates as soon as I can. and Thank you in advance! ?

Also Cisco a few days ago:
View media item 60470 See? Perfectly normal. ?

-HippieLizards.

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Daisy, Loki, Rocket, Phoenix, Mulder & Scully. Non beardie pets: Stan (Leo) Cayde (Hognose) Tillery (cat)
More info:
Female,
3 1-2 - 4 years old.
19"
1 lb 2oz when weighed last time.
Normally the most active beardie but not right now. ?
Never been bred before (to my knowledge).

Edit: She moved around some but went back into an alarming figure again. ?
View media item 60621View media item 60440View media item 60873
She did poop this morning so that's great, but her fat pads have sunken in slightly and are slightly squishy.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
She may be in pretty bad shape from your description and the pics. Something is causing extreme discomfort + bloating, possibly carrying eggs. If that's the cause then she may be eggbound. If you could get her to an emergency vet for xrays that could at least clarify that. I hope she gets through this !

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Yeah, I put her in the dig box and she did nothing but glare at me, I could feel a slight (probably around 1" long) lump on one side but I don't know, I'm really really worried. I Feared possible Egg retention but I hope not. Perhaps I could see if there are any reliable vets in FL while we're there. ? I just want my baby to stop being in pain. ?

If she does have Dystocia, how would one treat it? ☹️ Isn't it some sort of surgery? Do they normally survive after being egg bound? ?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
A vet could give a shot of Oxytocin, but only if the eggs are already in the uterus . Beardies can + do die from dystocia, I sure hope that's not it. See about a vet ASAP, in the meantime put her in some warm water for 10 minutes or so, sometimes it gives them the urge to poo and then an egg pops out.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Oh dear, she is not looking well. I am sorry to hear that!
I agree, it would be ideal to get her in immediately because they crash very quickly.
As suggested, the oxytocin can be given & is usually very effective as long as the eggs are
ready to be laid & have dropped. It greatly depends on how bad the situation is as to whether
or not they survive. A lot of them do, but, some go downhill & cannot recover. If they are
egg bound & can't lay for whatever reason, surgery is the best option. If you can get her to lay
then she will probably pull out of it with some help.

Let us know how she is doing.

Tracie

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Drache613":30lomj2j said:
Hello,

Oh dear, she is not looking well. I am sorry to hear that!
I agree, it would be ideal to get her in immediately because they crash very quickly.
As suggested, the oxytocin can be given & is usually very effective as long as the eggs are
ready to be laid & have dropped. It greatly depends on how bad the situation is as to whether
or not they survive. A lot of them do, but, some go downhill & cannot recover. If they are
egg bound & can't lay for whatever reason, surgery is the best option. If you can get her to lay
then she will probably pull out of it with some help.

Tracie
I am not entirely sure if she has eggs, If I were to find a local reptile vet how would we find out if she does have eggs? or find out if she has Dystocia? How would I care for her to ready her for her possible eggs?

AHBD":30lomj2j said:
A vet could give a shot of Oxytocin, but only if the eggs are already in the uterus . Beardies can + do die from dystocia, I sure hope that's not it. See about a vet ASAP, in the meantime put her in some warm water for 10 minutes or so, sometimes it gives them the urge to poo and then an egg pops out.
We finished our drive and Cisco seems to be fine. I have some more photos of her and I did feel some subtle lumps on her belly but it isn't as obvious today. She did poo on the drive here, No eggs. and unfortunately there aren't any good reptile vets near us (we're out of town and can't get back to our vet anytime soon unfortunately). ☹️

She was a lot more active today and basked a lot in the window, she didn't BB as much and her eyes are less sunken in thankfully.

I will post another update tonight on Her. Lord willing she will pull through this. ❤️ Thank Y'all so much for your help. :)

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Well, that is definitely some good news then, she isn't black bearding as much & was more
active today. I hope that she is feeling better.
Maybe she was a little backed up possibly & had a tummy ache?

Keep us updated on her.
Tracie

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
More photos of her:
View media item 60617View media item 60718 this shows where I can feel the slight lumps.
View media item 61031 Trying to get a good photo of her slightly more bloated belly but she kept trying to climb back onto me.
View media item 60575 This morning was probably the worst she looked that morning which is good (she didn't look totally dead)
View media item 60939View media item 60515View media item 60368she was running around me then she decided to rest on my shoulder again.
View media item 60522 she looked much better in this photo. :)
View media item 60700View media item 60444View media item 60791 Cisco liked cuddling with Daisy when Daisy escaped her carrier and climbed over to me lol.
View media item 60857View media item 60369 this was about as black her beard got yesterday which is GREAT. Because it wasn't her normal full beard pitch black. :blob5:
View media item 60569View media item 61002 she liked basking in the window.
View media item 60501 and this was her last night basking.

Will post an update on how she's doing tonight! :D

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is she doing today? She looked pretty good by the end of the day on Saturday, then,
plus, her black beard was not there really.
Do you feel the lumps still? I really don't know if the lumps are eggs or not, but it is definitely
a huge possibility. You are still going to try & get her to the vet soon for a checkup?

Tracie

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Poor girl still looks unwell. :( Does she spend a lot of time out of her tank ? Be sure the majority of it is spent inder the uvb + heat. Hope she feels better + things get resolved.

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
AHBD":k13t5bir said:
Poor girl still looks unwell. :( Does she spend a lot of time out of her tank ? Be sure the majority of it is spent inder the uvb + heat. Hope she feels better + things get resolved.
Yeah :(, But she has been doing excellent this Sunday and Monday. :blob5: She was much more active, no BBing at all on Sunday, still refusing to eat and I'm still feeling some slight lumps but they are not as pronounced anymore. :)

Also I still haven't found a good herp vet at all yet. :|

More photos:
View media item 60891 Little booger Wanted to show off for the camera lol. ❤️
View media item 60499View media item 60842View media item 60659View media item 60585 that was about as Black bearded she got on Sunday.
View media item 61139
View media item 60896 Now Monday, She was terrific this Monday. :D
View media item 60896View media item 60549View media item 60762View media item 60982 Took Cisco and the other beardies to the beach for some quality UVB and they loved it (especially Cisco).
View media item 60504View media item 60610View media item 60420View media item 60913
Will post more updates soon. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom