Lump on back near spine/hind leg

Status
Not open for further replies.

smtcgray

84212-9062288967.jpg
84212-5124053708.jpg

Our 5 year old male has developed a hard, pea-sized lump on his lower back. Another may be forming next to it. Seems like an odd place for a tumor. Anyone have a similar experience? Many thanks.

smtcgray

Original Poster
84212-9062288967.jpg
84212-5124053708.jpg

Our 5 year old male has developed a hard, pea-sized lump on his lower back. Another may be forming next to it. Seems like an odd place for a tumor. Anyone have a similar experience? Many thanks.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
I advise you consult a good REPTILE VET <<< now >>> while what ever it is has not grown large enough to become a very expensive longer term and complicated life threatening procedure to deal with.

The vet needs to take Xrays and try to take a biopsy, we are all guessing without more information.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I see that you posted/inquired on the other thread regarding a bump, too.
I have had experience with this type of issue. This looks like an abscess but kind of a strange
place though. The female we had adopted had a bump on the side but not on the tail base.
Has your dragon had any trauma or injury to the scales/tissue there that you can think of?
Perhaps trouble with shedding & a few scales got infected?
I would recommend taking him to the vet for analysis so that it doesn't get worse. It may need
to be drained or surgically removed, depending on the severity, etc.

Tracie

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How did the vet appointment go, or are you waiting for the appointment
to get there?
Let us know how things are going!

Tracie

smtcgray

Original Poster
The vet aspirated some fluid from the lump & will send out to the lab. No sign of infection from what she could tell. Part of the lump seemed solid, so hopefully the sample is large enough to determine what the mass is. Also went ahead & had blood work done.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is great they aspirated some fluids from that area, to culture. If it's an abscess, it will
most likely need to be removed.
How is he doing today? Definitely keep us posted on everything.

Tracie

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Drache613":2tp45otn said:
Hello,

That is great they aspirated some fluids from that area, to culture. If it's an abscess, it will
most likely need to be removed.
How is he doing today? Definitely keep us posted on everything.

Tracie

I agree, if an abscess, the normal approach is to cut open the abscess under a general , debride any soft tissues effected by it, and either leave it open to heal (with some packing in it and regular repacking and redressing) to avoid a new cavity full of fluid forming , or they will debride through a small hole and place a wick to help drain it.

Better off being dealt with while still small …. culturing the fluids in the abscess will help the vet target it with the most effective antibiotic.

smtcgray

Original Poster
Sorry for the late reply for those who'd inquired about Spike. So after a series of injected antibiotics didn't reduce the size of the lump, we decided to have the lump surgically removed. It turns out it was a soft tissue sarcoma, a type of skin tumor sometimes found in reptiles. Luckily the vet got clear margins, and it has a low risk of metastasizing. It's a low-grade tumor, and not very aggressive, but we honestly never believed it was actually cancer. SO - for others whose beardies have something that looks similar, definitely get it checked out!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom