Falkor is starting to wobble

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

I have a 2-3 month old baby named Falkor and he’s eating every day, going through a shed, normal bms, and drinking water. I currently have a reptisun coil that came with the zoomed starter kit, but have a t5 HO tube on the way for a uvb. His basking temps are 95-105 (depending on what level of his tree he’s on) and his cool side is at 85-90. He has been quite happy and active in his 40 gallon home.

Here is the issue. A few days ago when I was feeding him (I move him to a critter carrier to feed so I don’t end up with crickets diving under his carpet substrate) he lost his balance when he was going after a cricket. I thought it was weird but maybe he got caught on the paper towel somehow. But he kept doing it. Every time he went after a cricket his arms and legs seemed to be out of sync or not bending. It’s like he can’t control them. I will say that he has grown but probably not as much as he should at his point. His legs seem rather small for him, so sometimes it looks like his legs just can’t support his body weight (he weighs 13g at the moment and is about 8” long). He has a vet appointment on the 14th (earliest I could get).

I was concerned it was dehydration but he’s drinking water and getting a bath every day, and his bm has been normal. It could be a parasite but also an early onset of MBD? I know his uvb bulb (coil) is not great so I’m just waiting on the tube to arrive. I don’t have a video of him wobbling but will try to post one soon. He’s also doing this thing of folding his legs under him when he’s on his tree or being held.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I’ve had him for 6 weeks now and am completely obsessed with him and want him to be ok!!

Oh, he’s getting fed crickets dusted with calcium (repticalcium) at every feeding and reptivite once a week. He’s eating around 17-21 crickets a day, 2-3x a day.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Poor Falkor, it is most likely related to poor UVB & him not being able to absorb calcium very
well. Can you get him outside on short stints daily, while you are waiting on your Reptisun T5
to come in? That would help him out.
Definitely post some pictures of him for us, along with the tank setup, also.
Is he eating all of the dusted food, too that you offer him?
What you are describing are classic symptoms of calcium issues which cause balance issues,
as well as neurological problems & coordination trouble. You are getting it early, so not a lot
you can do except for wait on his new UVB to come in & try to get him some strong outdoor
sun if possible.

Let us know how he is doing.
Tracie

Falkorsmom

Original Poster
Thank you for responding!! I was worried that’s what it was, but I’m glad the light should be arriving on Wednesday at the latest... I will try to take him outside for spurts of time once the humidity drops in the afternoon.

He eats as much as he wants. I try to give him about 15-20 minutes each time to eat as much as he wants. It’s usually about 9-12 at each feeding but he will hunt them and have this slightly satisfied smirk on his face (which is adorable).

Once his light comes in I will have to rearrange his viv since I know the basking heights are going to be different with an HO tube light right?

100526-6807462415.jpg

This is the set up for now.

I took a video of him but don’t know how to post it on here?

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
The UV light and hood needs to moved so they are UNDER the mesh lid.

Make sure for now the UV compact is a 25W UVB200 (10%UVB) or the Arcadia or Zoo Med equivalent , needs to be NO MORE than 8 inches from the basking spot (this is for now).
And seriously consider upgrading to a T5HO 12%UVB tube & reflector hood (about 2/3 the length of the tank , to be installed so it's hung UNDER the mesh lid).

Falkorsmom

Original Poster
Thanks for the advice. In my original post i mentioned that I have a t5HO on its way but it won’t be here until Wednesday at the latest. I read that when it’s an HO it doesn’t have to be mounted inside the tank, is that true? I know the screen will filter about 30-35% depending on the mesh size. I will see what I can do about the bulbs now for Falkor in the mean time and will take tracie’s advice and bring him outside in the sunshine whenever I can for short spurts

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

No, the T5 doesn't necessarily have to be mounted inside of the tank. It just depends on how
far away it will be from him, if it is mounted on top of the screen. What will the distance be
for the light from him?
Sunshine should help out quite a bit, even 15-30 minutes if possible.
Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

Falkorsmom

Original Poster
His tank is 36x18x18. His tree (his favorite) has different levels and heights so it can be really anything. Right now the highest level is 5” away from the top of the screen, but I can turn it so a different part is exposed and that one is around 7” away. I could also get him something completely different, but when I took the tree out because I didn’t want him to fall off of it with his coordination issues, he was grumpier than when he’s shedding, so I caved and put it back in. The tree also has a “hollow” base with an entrance and he has a smaller bridge type thing he can go under. The top of the bridge is 13” from the top, so I think it’s too low to serve any purpose except provide him with a shade spot.

We went outside today even though there were threatening rain clouds in the distance, but it turned out they weren’t as far away as I thought. We were only able to spend 10 minutes in the sun today, but he seemed to like it. I will try again tomorrow. On a positive, he shed most of his head and ate 19 crickets today... and had a normal bm when I gave him his bath. I’m hopeful that the light comes in before Wednesday

Thank you so much for the help

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Poor little dude, at least he's still eating well. :) Hopefully you can get him in the sun the next few days until his light comes in.

Falkorsmom

Original Poster
I know!! I’m just glad he’s eating and doing everything else like normal!!! My poor little baby! We’re planning on soaking up some sun when the humidity drops (it’s over 85% right now). He fell from his tree this morning (he’s ok though, gave him a check over) and he looked more frustrated and annoyed than anything. I didn’t know how expressive they can be lol.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That's great he shed his head! LOL He probably feels better, too.
Too bad the sun wasn't out much though. The mail didn't deliver today due to it being
Labor Day.
Oh he couldn't hold onto his tree branch & fell? I am sure he was annoyed! Poor thing, I
hope he gets better soon. Keep us posted on him, & maybe the light will be there tomorrow.

Tracie

Falkorsmom

Original Poster
Haha I keep forgetting it’s Labor Day today. Hopefully it arrives tomorrow. We spent half an hour in the sun today. He seemed to enjoy it unless a plane went by... or a person... or a bird... but I guess those are his natural instincts kicking in! He shed the rest of his head today and started on his back leg. It’s a never ending shed with him ?. But I guess it’s a good sign cause it means he’s growing! 17 crickets for the day so far, I’m gonna try again in a little bit but I think being outside for so long stressed him out a little lol. Baby steps

Falkorsmom

Original Poster
The light definitely won’t be here until tomorrow ?? hopefully he’ll be ok until then. Does anyone know when I might start to see an improvement? I feel so bad for him.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Too bad your light isn't coming early, the holiday probably interrupted the delivery date.
He will be fine for another day. :D At least he got some sun though, I am sure that helps.
They are leery of anything overhead, predators, etc.
Go Falkor, a cricket eating machine. LOL At that age, it will seem like an endless shedding
phase.
Since he is young, hopefully you have caught it early enough to where he will zap out of it
quickly. Maybe give it a couple of weeks & you should start seeing improvements in his t,
balance & coordination.

Let us know how he is doing. Post pictures of the new light setup once you have it all
installed.

Tracie

Falkorsmom

Original Poster
THE LIGHT HAS ARRIVED!!!!!!

100526-2129385728.jpg

I put it behind his heat lamp. I unplugged the coil uvb side of the dual dome lamp and realized I need to get a smaller heat lamp lol. His tank is only so big. He’s on his rock under the uvb which is about 6” away from it but I can move it higher is necessary. He also has his tree on the right so he can get to 4” away or his bridge, which is 12”. I will probably end up rearranging things for him and maybe getting him new climbing material to help get optimal uvb. This is the first time in a while that he’s held himself up with his front legs though!!! I am very hopeful!

Does the set up look ok for the time being? The t5 is on top of his screen lid but I think he’s close enough to it?

Thank you all so much

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom