My bearded dragon have MBD and almost no muscles in limbs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ella

Name of my bearded dragon is Guggy.It is also male.
He has 5-6 years.I own him for 4 years now.
His terrarium size is 100cmx55cm long and 60cm high
Why does he have MBD?He have it because I didn't know that he needs UVB lamp and calcium vitamins when I got him.(dont worry he have UVB lamp now)I was giving him calcium before but not as much because I didn't know that is important.He is also missing less than half of tail and tips of 3 fingers(Bigger beardies bited him in a pet store).His lenght is 35cm (because he misses part of his tail)
And in his terrarium he also have a heat lamp that is 75W
So I moved into a new house(because my high school isn't where I lived before) and I tooked Guggy with me because my mom doesn't know how to take care of him.
I needed to take out sand out of terrarium because it was getting in his mouth so I putted towel in his terrarium (for now I will buy eko carpet for reptiles)
And I needed to take out all his decorations so I think he was stressed because of that so he didnt digest food at all and while pooping he was also not peeing in a way he was supose to this couple last times instead of white hard "pee"(I dont know how is that called) he was literally peeing yellow liquid :(
His limbs and chin are effected by MBD so he can't walk normaly and he has literally no muscles in his front legs(i can see his bones but he can move them)
Can someone please help me I dont have local vet for reptiles anywhere where I live.
If someone knows how can I solwe the problem of undigested food please help
I think he doesnt digeste food because of stres because we moved in new hous (and i putted few hiding spots in his terrarium so he doesnt poop as much now day ago he was pooping 5 times a day now he is doing that once a day but still undigested)
And how can I put some fat on his legs?
Btw he is werry active like normal beardies.
Oh! And his diet containd mealworms veggies and bananas and apples sometimes straw berryes and crickets.

Again please help me with:1. How to put some waight on him?
2. How to solwe the problem with undigested food?
3.and Guggy also stoped to eat do I need to force feed him?

I also have another beardie that is healthy and has no MBD or problems with digesting his name is Merid and he is also a male that lives in a same sized terrarium as Guggy (but they are seperated they aren't in same terrarium) I got UVB for Merid just in time :)

Ps:I'm so sorry about bad grammar!
And I wanted to upload image of Guggy but I can't and I'm also useing a phone to write this because I don't have PC

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It sounds like lighting is the main issue combined with diet. Which UVB light did you get for him? How old is it? How far is it above his basking spot? It's important to get that set up just right so it issues UVB similar to natural sunlight.

Overall digestion is also dependent on proper temperatures. You want the basking surface to be between about 38-42C and the cool side should be between about 24-29C or so with a gradient between.

Once the lighting is sorted, diet comes into play. Offering calcium rich foods like collard greens and turnip greens is helpful. You can also use calcium rich bugs like black soldier fly larvae. Since he already has a calcium deficiency, you might want to consider liquid calcium supplementation in addition to his normal diet.

You can upload photos from your phone by going to the green menu button at the top of the page and scrolling down to user image upload manager. click on new upload and choose file. Select a photo and press upload. You can upload as many photos as you want. Then you can post photos using the XIMG button when you reply.

Ella

Original Poster
101095-5733218226.jpg
There is his picture (Guggy) he looks like that now(he is in sheed right now so he is darker than usual)
101095-7446054127.jpg
Years ago he looked like this
I don't know exactly what UVB light does he has now but it is tube shaped one and it is ready to be changed.
I ordered some sort of calcium rich worms for him and I was also giving him liquid calcium when I was back at my old house he didnt get calcium for 3 days now because i runed out of suplyes but i should get them for like 2 days!
His UVB light is at very top of terrarium (other bearded dragons UVB is like 20-30 cm above ground and that one has normal not tube shaped UVB light)
101095-4197247438.jpg
(Merid)
So if that light needs to be closer (Guggys UVB light I mean) I will order diferent kind of that light or I will make him higher ground there so he will be closer to light
I dont have termometar for his terrarium but his heat light is 20 cm above ground
Ps: Guggy also has some black spots on his beard and end of his tail
101095-6853829948.jpg
Thank you so much for help
101095-5222000424.jpg
they look like that and I don't know what they are and if it is dangerous how can I help him (he also has deformed front legs cuz of MBD sorry about that) and that red thing on his low lip isnt blood he had red-orange sand in his terrarium that was getting in his mouths i puted that away

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I agree, the issues are likely caused by improper UVB lighting. Please look on the base/end of
it to see if it has the brand printed on it. I would highly recommend trying to upgrade to a T5
high output tube bulb. Reptisun or Arcadia either one have very good T5 tube bulbs. He looks
like he could really use a good UVB boost.
How long has the black been on his beard area? It could be a fungus of some type. How humid
is the tank?
Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

Ella

Original Poster
His terrarium isnt humid at all
I bath him 2 or 3 times per week (more if he is shading)
And every time afther I get him out of watter I dry him whit the tovels than I put him under heat lamp
I'm not sure it is fungus I researched everything.
I noticed that on hist tail no so long afther I got him and it is not spreading.Black spots on his beard apeared I think 6 months ago(I noticed that he has that 6 months ago )
On his tube shaped uvb light is written F18w/830 and tube is also long 41 cm and 22mm I think
And he does not want to eat do I need to force feed him? Or is it because he was shadeing and because we changed locatiion
Should bearded dragons eat peppers sweet peppers I mean not chilly ones
Because I gaved my beardy 2 days ago sweet pepers and since than he cant poop or pee normaly
He still has this problem and I don't have any medicine at the moment

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I would definitely upgrade the UVB light as mentioned. The T5 is probably your best bet. Where are you located? There should be vendors that have them around the world but the pricing varies. I also suggest getting at least 1 (preferably 2) digital thermometers with a probe. That way you can track surface temperatures in the tank which is important for adjusting the basking light. You want the surface temps to be in the ranges I mentioned earlier. You don't need anything too expensive. Just some aquarium thermometers like this will do the job. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0017N8W90/

Ella

Original Poster
I live in Croatia near one city called Koprivnica.I will buy termometers by ordering them on amazon
I can't find a single reptile shop near where I live or even a reptile vet so I will try by ordering those things
Thank you for help

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Ella":2ll8nb1s said:
I live in Croatia near one city called Koprivnica.I will buy termometers by ordering them on amazon
I can't find a single reptile shop near where I live or even a reptile vet so I will try by ordering those things
Thank you for help

You will do better looking for the lighting you need on Ebay.

I'm sure there many places in the EU where you source very good quality lights and fittings at very reasonable prices. I live in Australia and regularly buy stuff for my hobbies via Ebay from EU based and UK based sellers.

Ella

Original Poster
I found one store 25km away from where I live.I'm going to check out do they have those lamps there if not my uncle will order that lamp for 2 weeks.But I'm sure I don't have so much time to waste so I'm going to hopefully find that lamp tomorrow or for 2 days.And vitamins should come for a day or two I hope my bearded dragon will be ok

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, sorry about poor Guggy, he is in pretty bad condition but it's good that you are trying to get him some help. Can you get crickets for him instead of mealworms ? And no more fruits, just good greens , what type do you have available ?

I've traveled through Croatia , Split, Dubrovnik, Zagreb but I wish I had gotten to see the Plitvice park waterfalls, I believe they are the most beautiful in the world ! Better than the ones in Hawaii, but not well known. They are unreal to look at. :) This is my favorite picture :
https://www.mountainphotography.com/images/xl/JackBrauer-Plitvice-Waterfalls.jpg

If your weather is sunny, take Guggy outside for real sun but not while he's in the glass tank. Just set him in the grass with you but not in a noisy or busy area. The uvb from the sun can help him. Be sure his cage is not near where he can see the other dragon Merid, that can cause a lot of stress.

Ella

Original Poster
I was in Plitvice park waterfalls they are beautiful I hope you will go see them one day :) And Rovinj is also beautiful city near sea :D it is my favourite place to go when I'm on summer vacations :)
I can only get mealworms for Guggy but I can try to catch some crickets and try to bread them if that is ok!
Guggy loves to eat tomattoes,salad,some flowers from outside (dandelions),cabbage(no too much of it) and cucumbers/pickles(not sour ones don't worry)
And from fruits he loves to eat:blueberryes,strawberryes,bananas,apples and that is it
Merid loves similar food but for some reason he is scared of bananas ^^' (I got Merid from some owner that didn't want him anymore)
Yes I know that I should not put Merid on place where Guggy can see him.I usually take Guggy out for a hour and half or sometimes less.Weather is sunny here usually but news sayed it will rain for 2 days now.Guggy is really aggressive towards Merid but Merid always just waves at him.But that does not stop Guggy to want to attack him.That hapened sometimes when I tooked Guggy out of his terrarium.(Merid was always in his terrarium when that hapened so Guggy could not reach him)
I will spend time outside with Guggy thank you for advice :D

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
The D3 is Arcadia bulb ? That is a good one. What percent is it rated ? Like 6%,12%, 14% ? That higher the better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom