Swollen Finger and Toe

Status
Not open for further replies.

BeardedBernard

I noticed the other day that my sons 9 month beardy had a couple of swollen digits. Images are attached. One is the finger tip and “thumb”. And the other is his back right foot. I noticed that he doesn’t seem to use the “toe” to climb much, that I can tell.

He leapt from my daughters hands the other day, about a 4 foot drop onto carpet. The swelling on his foot came up after that. Not sure about his hand.

Does that look more like a broken finger or possibly MBD or gout?

We use the reptisun 10.0 uvb in a 30 gallon tank. He eats reptiworms (20-25) daily with red bell peppers and kale frequently. He poops a lot and daily.

https://m.imgur.com/vMBsOCA

https://m.imgur.com/NcMdlUl

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That looks like possible gout developing to me.
Though, jumping & landing that far onto the carpet could have caused some type of injury
also, since you said it came up right after the accident.
How long has the one toe been swollen? I don't think that is broken though.
What type of supplementation do you give him?
The Reptisun 10 tube bulb is a good bulb. How far is it from him & is it mounted on top of
or underneath of the screen top?

Tracie

BeardedBernard

Original Poster
We dust with calcium but not every feeding. We’d read that reptiworms were high enough in calcium that you didn’t need to dust every time.

The uvb sits 8” or so above the bottom of the tank. On top of the screen.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Ok, thanks. I would encourage you to try & get the Reptisun 10 T8 tube mounted underneath
of the screen top, directly overhead so he receives a stronger UVB exposure.
This could simply be metabolic bone starting, or pseudo gout which is a form of gout caused by
malabsorption of vitamins & calcium from lack of UVB. This form is reversible when caught
early.
Even though the worms are pretty high in calcium, since she is young & growing I would still
dust them at least 4 times per week to be sure he is getting enough.
How is he doing today?

Tracie

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I agree, it's probably from the jump, landing on the toes the wrong way. It should be O.K after a week or two.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi Sierrap, here's how to start your thread. :) Just click on the discussion forum tab on the top of the page, choose E.R. [ or whichever subforum you need ] and click the " new topic } tab. I'll post that tab here for you :

posting.php?mode=post&f=45

So you can start a thread for your guy.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Just wondering how your boy is doing, has his toe gotten any better?
Keep us posted on him.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom