Beardie randomly closing eyes and squinting

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Zilla desert 50 uvb bulb for me beardies tank. I got a new tank that was bigger, so the uvb went from about 8 inches above her to 12 inches above her. I have seen people do testing, and that bulb loses effectiveness when it is farther that 8 inches. So I used a fluorescent fixture to mount it inside her cage so that it is close enough. It is on the wall about 8 inches away from her basking spot. Today, I have noticed that she is closing her eyes and squinting. Is she just being lazy or something, or is the bulb irritating her eyes? I got her from Petco, so maybe she has a health problem that is just starting to show? Please help.

Update: I’m pretty sure that it is the bulb, because she tends to only close the eye that faces the bulb. I put it in last night, so maybe she is just not used to it being that close?

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
It's the Zilla UV , very poor Chinese made globes or tubes.

Substandard quartz used in tubes , known to have small imperfections that leak UVC. And substandard phosphor coating known to emit poor quality UV spectra --- will be early signs of photoconjuctivitis.

Strongly recommend returning the existing Zilla UV source and replacing it with a 10% or higher Arcadia , Zoo Med or Exo Terra UV source ASAP.

Flapjack6260

Original Poster
kingofnobbys":3vu5tuu6 said:
It's the Zilla UV , very poor Chinese made globes or tubes.

Substandard quartz used in tubes , known to have small imperfections that leak UVC. And substandard phosphor coating known to emit poor quality UV spectra --- will be early signs of photoconjuctivitis.

Strongly recommend returning the existing Zilla UV source and replacing it with a 10% or higher Arcadia , Zoo Med or Exo Terra UV source ASAP.

Ok, I am going to get a new fixture and get a 22 inch reptisun 10 either today or tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mnstorm07
Top Bottom