Not eating much

Status
Not open for further replies.

NHBeardedGuy

Hi all,

My 1 year old male bearded hasn't been eating much for close to 2 weeks now. He's probably eating about 10-20% of what he had been eating. Let me give a little background to help provide the whole picture. He had been eating a combination of well balanced salads with super worms included in them, along with a separate meal of live crickets about 6 months ago. Slowly but surely he started cutting back on wanting to eat crickets to the point where he'd out right refuse to eat them, so he was just eating salads and meal worms. I found out that he wouldn't be getting enough protein if he wasn't eating crickets too. So, I researched on this forum on how to get him to start eating crickets again and I cut-out super worms all together (b/c I heard they arent that great for Beardies anyway) and slowly got him back up to eating between 20-30 crickets a day along with a small/medium salad in the morning and a large salad around dinner time. Things were going great and then he slowly started eating less and less crickets and now wont eat live crickets at all. Shortly after he stopped wanting crickets he was still eating his salads, but then that changed and now he barely touches his salads too. Him not wanting to eat much of anything has been going on for about a week. Other info - About 3 weeks ago, I switched him from a 50 gallon long/short aquarium, to an Exo Terra large/tall terrarium, which he seems to like. He started pulling back and eating less crickets before he moved into the new terrarium, so I wasn't thinking that it was the move that has thrown him off. He's got a great set up with platforms at different temperature levels so he can sit in hotter areas and move into cooler areas if he wants. After I moved him into the new Exo Terra terrarium he was still eating salads like he used to, but then he slowly reduced the amount he's eating to where he is now only eating about 10-20% of his normal intake and has been this way for 2 weeks. I thought it had to do with him shedding, but he went through a large shed and hasn't seemed to have any signs of shedding for over a week and is still not eating much. He's alert, but more sluggish than he used to be. I've been giving him baths every other day or every 3rd day, and take him out of his tank to hang out with me in my living room once or twice a day. I can't figure out why he's not eating that much. Any ideas?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
My guess is that it may be two fold. As he is getting older, his growth is slowing and he needs much less food than when he was younger. Also, recently a lot of them have started slowing down and trying to brumate which he may be doing to an extent. If everything else seems OK and he is just acting sleepy and not eating so much, this is likely what's going on. Can you post some photos of him? That will help show his overall condition.

NHBeardedGuy

Original Poster
Hey all, here's a few pictures of Abraham Lincoln ("Abe") in his Exo Terra terrarium. I took most of them with his light on and a few with his light off to try and best show his color. Any feedback would be appreciated!

97772-1022466836.jpg
97772-8955409913.jpg
97772-667656204.jpg
97772-5388375674.jpg
97772-4493193622.jpg
97772-7989382585.jpg
97772-1514759018.jpg
97772-6286960905.jpg
97772-8811615910.jpg
97772-1066231416.jpg
97772-5373176383.jpg
97772-8167883348.jpg
97772-8429711060.jpg

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
He looks quite healthy to me based on those photos. I do think it's a combination of age and seasonal slowdown as I mentioned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom