Beardie keeps jumping on hot uvb light

Status
Not open for further replies.

LaNezSait

Hello! I'm getting quite concerned as my beardie continuously keeps jumping onto his uvb light (which is really hot) from his basking platform. I have no idea how long he's been doing this for. I'm not quite sure what to do. He's acting normally but I'm quite nervous he's burning himself as it now seems it's his mission in life to get onto the uvb light. Please help, what do I do?

P. S. Sorry if this post doesn't belong in the E. R. section. I wasn't quite sure which topic to put this post in.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Can you post a picture of your tank setup, so we can see just how he is jumping onto his
light? Is it a tube bulb?
It sounds like you are going to have to rearrange his lighting though, so he doesn't burn himself.

Tracie

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Is the UV light a MVB ? a compact curly style tube ? a T8 or T5HO tube ?
and
how is it installed ?

If it's a MVB …. you need to invest in wire cage like this : https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/13X16-5CM-Reptile-Heat-Mesh-Cage-Protector-Guard-Lamp-Light-Bulb-Safety-Round/123175732182?_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D20160908110712%26meid%3Db51f38bccee44535a9cf181fdb5124d7%26pid%3D100677%26rk%3D9%26rkt%3D19%26sd%3D272108907983%26itm%3D123175732182&_trksid=p2385738.c100677.m4598
the risk is the dragon will be very seriously burnt when it lands on or touches the very hot glass surfaces.

If it's a compact UVB globe …. it isn't really hot enough to burn the dragon , but you should discourage the dragon from leaping onto the globe, similar with T8 and T5HO tubes.

I have had dragons who were fascinated by their UVB compacts when they were in reflector domes and hung pendulum style from under the lid of their rearing tubs …. Puff used to amuse him self for ages when he got big enough to reach it by playing with it and patting it with his hands and nose and making it swing …. I remedied this by retiring the reflector domes and changing to Exo Terra Nano Hoods for the 25W UVB200 compacts in the 145L rearing tubs.

LaNezSait

Original Poster
This is the tank set-up:

97736-9750846750.jpg
97736-515075005.jpg
(Glass is dirty from the outside in second pic)

It's a T8 Reptisun tube about twelve inches from the basking spot. It's installed on the back of the tank connected by velcro.

Beardeddtagonlover

Hatchling Member
Try put in the uvb overhead if you have a screen you can secure with tie down or zip ties some folks call it different that's all I can think of.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
A T8 isn't going to be very effective at that distance. Their output drops off a lot beyond about 8'' or so. A T5 is better suited for that distance and you'd be able to keep it out of reach while still providing excellent UVB levels.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I agree, if you are going to stick with the T8, I highly recommend installing it directly overhead
using 3M Command hooks or zip ties to secure it to the screen safely.
As suggested, the T5 tube bulb would be a terrific upgrade for him. If the UVB tube bulb was
mounted directly overhead he would be getting a better UVB exposure. Plus, he wouldn't be
able to jump on it, either. Be sure to mount it right alongside of your basking light, too.

Tracie

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Beardeddtagonlover":2l67ays7 said:
Try put in the uvb overhead if you have a screen you can secure with tie down or zip ties some folks call it different that's all I can think of.
cable ties ….

monofilament fishing line or wool also work fine.

LaNezSait

Original Poster
My mistake, I double-checked and apparently it is a T5.

Yesterday, I managed to move the light so now he can't jump onto it. Thanks for all your help!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Ok, that sounds good. The T5 tubes are very good, by Reptisun. Is it also in a fixture too?
I'm glad you got it moved overhead for him so he can't jump on it anymore.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom