Help with baby beardie

Status
Not open for further replies.

pechadm88

99213-2509306008.jpg
99213-8708187374.jpg
Hey guys,

So, I have a little dragon (got him as a hatchling) that I've had for about a month. He has been all happy go lucky until today. He is really sluggish and doesn't look to be feeling 100% while in his viv. I took him out today to have a look at him and he looked alert and was running around, but his marks are dark and he just looks sad.

I feed him as many BSF larvae as he can eat (10-15mins) a few times a day, and an occasional wax worm as he likes though as a treat. His poop is looking fine and is going about once every day to every other day. He also gets a salad of collard greens, mustard greens, cilantro, snap peas, and acorn squash that he nibbles on from time to time. I don't fortify any of his food with Calcium as BSF larvae are a great source of that. Should I start doing this? I'm doing all the things I did with my first beardie who is thriving. This little guy is normally bright red and is looking a little dull, so maybe a shed is coming on?

My only other idea is, that he isn't eating as much salad as my other beardie did when he was little and is deficient in vitamins/minerals. I'm going to the store tomorrow after work to pick up some Vitamin D3 and mineral stuff. My question is, is he going to be ok or will there maybe be some damage? Also, what products do you use? I hate this as I really care about my animals and when they aren't feeling well it reflects on my care for them.

He has a reptisun 10.0 T5HO UVB bulb with the T5HO Reflective hood. It sits on top of the screen, but I bought a different screen top for more room for rays to go through...I have a terrible fear of putting it in the tank due to anxiety and always fear the worst. He has a 150 watt basking bulb that I check temps on here and there and they are fine and a 40g breeder tank. He has had 2 sheds since we have had him.

Help me make this little dude feel better!
99213-82359738.jpg

pechadm88

Original Poster
Hey guys. I made a post yesterday, but no one has replied to it and I'm at a loss.

I have a beardie who I bought about a month ago as a hatchling. I was informed since I had the Reptisun 10.0 T5HO Uvb lamp with the reflective hood I wouldn't need calcium with vit.d3. So I've been giving him Phoenix larvae, but I haven't been dusting it as I was told I wouldn't have to.

He was all fine and dandy until about yesterday. He got really dark lines, just lays around all day, but still has somewhat of an appetite. When I take him out of his viv he is alert and runs around, but tries getting back into his tank.

His poop is normal and on a regular basis. His temps are fine, but I'm checking his temps as we speak.

The reptisun sits above the tank, but I bought a screen cover that has large holes so more rays come through. I have a fear of mounting it inside as I fear the worse. He has a basking lamp of 150W. His basking area is around 102.6 now that he likes using. Cool side is around 80.

I bought a calcium with D3 today as that really is the only thing I can think of that is causing this. Two days ago he was all white and happy, now he looks miserable. Any insight would be nice.

Beardeddtagonlover

Hatchling Member
hi pech you need calcium with D3 absolutely beardies don't metabolize calcium like us as a hatchling you want to give calcium with D3 once a day please do so before your baby has a calcium deficiency the t5 ho 10.0 is good can you post a pic of you setup? you can upload pic https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ also how are you monitoring the temps?can you give the temps please cold side basking spot?the only time you don't need D3 is if your beardie is getting natural sunlight but you still need the calcium.a very good person to ask for advice is Drache613 you can msg her for any questions you may have, i initially put the wrong username but i corrected it.Don't believe what people or petstores tell you.also i never had a hatchling but i hear the baby beardies like it hot is your beardie gasping when basking? if not you need up the temp on the basking spot to 110.here is a chart that might help you for the uvb
here is a discussion that i started about uvb and the folks here helped me out viewtopic.php?f=34&t=242762 i have a 10.0 h5 HO and a solar meter and my beardie is getting safe levels of uvb.also on a final note the caresheets that you find on the net for animals that is just the base guideline every animal is diferent so you need to get to know your animal and see what it likes i hope your beardie gets better.

pechadm88

Original Poster
I bought some D3 today and gave him some with both of his meals today as he only ate around 20 larvae. I will only do it once a day from here on out...just wanted him to have a good start since he is lacking. I was told with the light I have it should be strong enough to produce his own D3, but I guess that's not true. I monitor the temps with a Zoomed probe thermometer. Basking is 102.7 which he had been hanging out on his rock with but I upped it to over 105 and he is gaping. The cool side is 82.6. I took the water bowl out and I don’t think he is dehydrated as the larvae have moisture in them.
Both of these pictures are from tonight.
99213-8151098275.jpg
99213-6962246527.jpg

Beardeddtagonlover

Hatchling Member
You have a nice looking beardie I would suggest giving him a varierty of insects I guess the fly larvae is ok but maybe try pinhead crickets or baby dubias the T5 can safely be underneath of your beardie 12 inches you basking spot looks low you might be able to install it underneath the screen also you can go with a lower wattage bulb and just put it closer save you some money and I suggest putting water in s bowl small enough so you beardie can drink and move the water with you finger and see if he drinks I had to do that when I first got my beardie but dragons don't drink from a bowl so I would not leave the bowl in there just make sure you beardie is hydrated day after day.and I don't know artificial uvb actual producing D3 but I heard is possible if you get high radiation like 200 micro watts is just easier to give d3 know in my dragons enclosure the highest uvb is 100.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
He looks OK. His head is up and he seems alert in the photos. If this is a sudden change then it may be an oncoming shed as you mentioned if his colors are starting to dull. That can have them be a bit off for a little while.

pechadm88

Original Poster
He's looking a little lighter today. Seems super stressed easily while this is going on. Still is eating though. I got him to eat only 1 dubia, but he took 10-11 bsf larvae without calcium...the 10 he got right away today were fortified with calcium/d3 powder. I took the screen off the top of his cage so he has the full rays of the UVB...have to get the supplies to mount it, but it's going diagonal across his tank; going to be keeping it that way. Is it going to be too strong with the reflective hood now? He chose to sit about 8 inches from it. There is a spot that is 14 inches, 18 inches, and about 12 inches. He keeps bouncing around from spot to spot. Basking is 108.6. Going to feed him once more tonight around 7:30. Lights go off at 10pm. 14 hour timer.

I want to take him outside for some real sunlight but it is dark and raining off and on today. I will take him out tomorrow if the weather permits.

Any idea how long it will take to see some major improvement? I tired to get him to drink water, but he refuses, even when I sprinkle it on his nose. Hoping the larvae provide enough moisture for him. Otherwise I will try a wax worm tonight to get him something.

Beardeddtagonlover

Hatchling Member
Sounds good the spot that is 8 inches of you see you dragon spending little to no time there just lower that spot 2 inches the 12 and 14 inches is good gradient you beardie will chose the appropriate radiation how far down is the uvb from the basking spot?the markings on you beardie was showing stress but that could mean many things a black beard that is something to be concerned I know my girl if she wakes up in the wrong side of the bed she gets stressed out lol,as long as the temps are good he's eating and pooping and not lethargic it's good looks like you temps are good as long as the temp at night don't drop to cold I advice to keep the temp at night at 75 f .

Beardeddtagonlover

Hatchling Member
As far as behaviour how long will it take to get used to? It will just take time he looks very young as long as is in good health that's what matters I personally will do a fecal on him just to make sure there is no parasites if you go ask a vet maybe the be able to do just fecal here in DFW they charge 50 dollars.

pechadm88

Original Poster
It's a little over 13 inches, but I figured with no screen top anymore and a reflective hood that would be fine?

Since I took the screen top off, his basking spot skyrocketed. So now I'm playing with temps again. lol He is more perky tonight so we will see what tomorrow brings. Thanks for all the insight!

Beardeddtagonlover

Hatchling Member
Np for a t5 is fine like I said try a lower wattage bulb maybe try 100 or buy a 80 watt 120 equivalent halogen will do the job nicely you can raise it or lower it with the lamp stand you have or buy a lamp dimmer that will work too.glad your little guy is doing better. Also keep in mind the t5 bulbs run hotter then the t8 my 34 inch is 39 watts.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

He does look fine to me. I bet he is going to shed though, especially if you think he is looking
a little dull in color. His eyes don't look sunken in, based from the pictures.
How far from him, is the Reptisun 10 T5? If it is on top of the screen, but the holes are pretty
wide then he should be getting sufficient UVB. I don't think he needs a lot of D3, maybe a
couple of times per week, but does need regular calcium 4-5 days per week for his growing
bones.
I think he will be just fine. The youngsters don't really eat that many greens routinely, until
they are a little older.
Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

Beardeddtagonlover

Hatchling Member
That is fine at 13 inches with a t5 he's getting enough radiation to synthesize D3 most beardies in captivity there probably getting 30 to 40 and they seem to do fine.

pechadm88

Original Poster
Sorry, those were old photos, I didn’t have a recent one, before this happened. It’s been a couple days and he hasn’t shed yet. Still little to no energy but having bowel movements pretty much daily.

Here is one from a day ago
99213-8151098275.jpg
he is just so dark and sleeps all day. He does get active when I take him out of his tank but he uses that energy to try and get back in. Normally he is all white on his bottom and chin. Seems easily irritated also.

I took the screen off for a few days to get him better UV rays that he seems to soak up. So I should do calcium 4 times a week and calcium with d3 3 times a week? I am also starting multivitamins twice a week.

Temps on basking spot are around 106-107 and cool side is low 80s. Still doing bsf larvae and trying to incorporate dubias but he only eats 1 or so.

He is anywhere from 12-14 inches from the T5.
Thanks for the help!
99213-3662529308.jpg
99213-6962246527.jpg

pechadm88

Original Poster
Still looking really dark today. Still eating somewhat. Basking and hanging under the UV. Basking is around 105 today. Likes to hang out outside of his cage when I take the screen off. But the tank isn’t overly warm cool side is low 80s still. Still using the bathroom and looks normal.

First 3 pictures are of today. Last picture is when I got him.
99213-4919690671.jpg
99213-2786016553.jpg
99213-3023205595.jpg
99213-6794505296.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whokiry weth
Top Bottom