Edward not eating much and loose stool

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all...

Just looking for some advice here...

Edward was eating very well, phoenix worms and butter worms and occasional wax worms. He eats escarole and mustards as well those are his favorites.

This last week he has not eaten much at all and has had runny stool bowel movements. Yesterday 3 times l, today twice so far. I have been giving him water via eye dropper when he won't eat and the stool looks like lots of water in it so I stopped giving so much water. Now I'm trying some pedialyte because he appears weak from it all.

Any thoughts? He's moving around doing laps in his enclosure. Seems to be a little stressed by me too today.

He has tile in his enclosure so no sand or anything like that. Reptisun 10,etc...all the good stuff.

Please help thanks

Sounds like a case of worms. Nothing you did, the insects we give them can get into things when they come from breeders. Dubia Roaches are personally my favorite because they never give any kind of worms to your dragon and they’re easy to breed. Just take him and a sample of his stool to your local vet and he’ll get a shot for you to give him that’ll cure it.

Aaron+Edward

Original Poster
Really? Okay, that is interesting. I unfortunately am unable to get Dubia Roaches in Canada.

How urgent of an issue is this? Paying an exotic vet on the weekend is going to be a small fortune. I am also not wanting to put him through the trauma of transporting in a vehicle to the vet. I forgot to mention, he is 16+ years old.

Thank you for your words.

Side note of other things I have thought about:

It has been extremely hot here recently, we have a heat warning in effect (I have a dimmer on his basking light so I have been doing my best to keep 95-105 F. It has been in the 30's Celsius here though for the last 2 weeks.

His humidity is reading 35% right now in his enclosure.

We have also been camping a couple of times in the last month so he has been out of his normal routine slightly. They were short trips, but still.

He refuses to eat crickets anymore and so yeah I have been giving him butter worms and phoenix worms. He doesn't even have much interest in the phoenix worms anymore.

I got him to eat a small amount of escarole this morning and that is first thing other then water in 5-6 days.

Thanks again...

It can wait until Monday, just give him a warm bath and that’ll help him feel a little bit better. It’s kinda like us when we get a case of the runnies from anything we eat and it hurts, and we don’t want to eat anything until medicine is given to stop the runnies. That’s kinda what he’s doing. The warm water will relieve him until you’re able to get him to the vet Monday.

Aaron+Edward

Original Poster
Thanks for your responses.

I consulted with his vet yesterday. I picked up some Critical Care and Carnivore Care that they have me feeding him. It has helped so far with the runs, and he has perked up a bit as well.

He is going in tomorrow for an examination.

Thanks again!

Aaron+Edward

Original Poster
Vet confirmed through fecal test that he has pin worms. I have a medication for him called Panacur Suspension. He is doing slightly better but still sluggish and appears to be unhappy.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Pinworms are fairly common and not harmful in small counts. Panacur tends to be pretty effective against them and isn't very harsh so hopefully that will help soon.

Aaron+Edward

Original Poster
He's actually now declined some more I think. Today he looks pale. He vomited while I was syringe feeding critical care (I am careful and did not shoot it into the back of his throat) I think it was stress related. I was reading that this med can kill all the good bacteria just like it can in humans so was looking into probiotics? The tops of his eyes are now sunken slightly too right above each eye.

EDIT: I have been cleaning his enclosure and fixtures with 1:4 vinegar, but that does not disinfect and before that I was using some National Geographic "cleaner". I don't want to use bleach because of having to rinse so much with water to get rid of it after. Working on getting a steam cleaner ASAP...

What about dairy free soy yogurt?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Dairy free yogurt has acidophilus in it so it should work well as a probiotic. Hopefully that helps him feel better. A steam cleaner is nice to have. If you can find a small bottle of F10 concentrate that works really well too. Just dilute it at about 1:250 in a spray bottle with water and it lasts a long time.

Aaron+Edward

Original Poster
CooperDragon":nhn55b5c said:
Dairy free yogurt has acidophilus in it so it should work well as a probiotic. Hopefully that helps him feel better. A steam cleaner is nice to have. If you can find a small bottle of F10 concentrate that works really well too. Just dilute it at about 1:250 in a spray bottle with water and it lasts a long time.
F10 is super hard to find, so far I have been unsuccessful. Only a large bottle on Amazon for $100. It must be an American thing, just like how Dubia Roaches are illegal here in Canada.

How’s the old guy doing right now? I heard that giving them a warm bath can have a calming effect on them especially during something like Pinworms. Try putting him in the tub and if you have a water temperature reader warm the water to 85-88, if not it should pass lukewarm in warmth. If he tries to jump out give him something to climb on and just gently pour the water over his back with your palm.

Aaron+Edward

Original Poster
ObsessedwithBeardies":3u5k27pf said:
How’s the old guy doing right now? I heard that giving them a warm bath can have a calming effect on them especially during something like Pinworms. Try putting him in the tub and if you have a water temperature reader warm the water to 85-88, if not it should pass lukewarm in warmth. If he tries to jump out give him something to climb on and just gently pour the water over his back with your palm.
He is honestly not looking good at all right now... He has vomited 3 times today. Seems like he won't swallow when I feed him the critical care/carnivore care he just lets it sit in his mouth. It's very depressing to witness and have to put him through this... I tried giving him some soy nondairy yogurt about 20 minutes ago so I will see if that does anything or if he even keeps it down. I have been bathing him as well yes.

Beardeddtagonlover

Hatchling Member
I'm sorry about you little guy I will hold off on the critical care for the next 2 days if he's eyes are sunken could be dehydration give him 2 ml of calcium water and see how he does also I had some good results with the flukers repta aid if you can get it.another thing you can try is make a protein shake with insects some water but just hold off for 2 days to settle he's stomach but keep him hydrated if you see he is getting worse call the vet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
matthewsalecia2015
Top Bottom