I think my beardies have parasites.

Status
Not open for further replies.

erlabella

So I have two Beardies, Messi and Ressi and they’re not pooping well. I have no idea what’s causing it but I do think it’s because of parasites or wrong temperature. They’re in seperate cages. The temperature in the first cage are 40°- 45° C in the basking spot and 30°- 35° C in the cold side. The second cage’s temperatures are around 40°- 48° in the basking area and 30°- 34° in the cold side (measured with temp gun) They both have the Exo Terra Reptiglo tube 10.0-12.0 UVb. Diet consists mostly of Arugula, butternut squash, sweet potato, carrot, bell pepper, romaine salad, parsnip and fieldsalad, and occasionally to rarely apple, cucumber, mango, grapes. I dust the food with Red-cal Calcium 4-5 times a week and Rep-Cal Herptivite 1 a week. Feeder insect right now are mealworms dusted in calcium, 5 a day. I’m going to buy superworms soon, which I’m going to give 6-7 a day. When they poop, it’s usually diarrhea. Like, very watery poop and smudged everywhere. I watched once while Messi pooped, and it seemed like she was struggling. She eventually “pooped” water... I’m definitely considering going to a traditional vet (only vet in my country). Now here’s my question: If I want my vet to check her for parasites, should he/she do a fecal sample only, or also bloodtests or something else too? They’re not exotic vets, but do have some experience, and unfortunately do not have the right medical equipments for lizards and other exotic animals. I’m guessing every vet knows how to do a fecal sample.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
How long have their poops been messy like that? If it hasn't been for a long time, then it may be due to a diet that has a lot of water in it (squash, sweet potato especially). If you stop offering those for a little while you may see improvement. If you do go to the vet, bring a fresh sample if you can. The vet can do a float or look at a sample under a microscope. Common parasites are pinworms and coccidia. If they are found in large amounts, they can be treated with medication. Try to keep everything that comes in contact with poop clean and sanitized. If coccidia is found, then you will want to use steam or ammonia/water mixture to sanitize.

erlabella

Original Poster
CooperDragon":34y7qhiy said:
How long have their poops been messy like that? If it hasn't been for a long time, then it may be due to a diet that has a lot of water in it (squash, sweet potato especially). If you stop offering those for a little while you may see improvement. If you do go to the vet, bring a fresh sample if you can. The vet can do a float or look at a sample under a microscope. Common parasites are pinworms and coccidia. If they are found in large amounts, they can be treated with medication. Try to keep everything that comes in contact with poop clean and sanitized. If coccidia is found, then you will want to use steam or ammonia/water mixture to sanitize.

It has been like this for a long time and I feel horrible for not doing anything about it until now. They are both a bit under weight, inactive, won’t bask (I think this problem is temperature related) and have a small appetite, however they do still eat. I’m not sure how I’ll be able to bring a fresh sample to the vet though, as most of it’s water...

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

What type of basking light are you using along with the Reptiglo 10 tube bulb?
The Reptiglo 10 tube bulb is ok, but not a real strong bulb. You could try to find the Reptisun 10
tube bulb instead, it is much stronger.
How long have they not been basking?

Tracie

erlabella

Original Poster
Drache613":1s66mozm said:
Hello,

What type of basking light are you using along with the Reptiglo 10 tube bulb?
The Reptiglo 10 tube bulb is ok, but not a real strong bulb. You could try to find the Reptisun 10
tube bulb instead, it is much stronger.
How long have they not been basking?

Tracie

In one cage I use an infrared basking spot lamp (can’t remember the brand and wattage) and in the second cage I use a regular store bought heating lamp, which will be changed very soon. I had to go on a 2 week vacation with my family a while ago and the basking light went out. Luckily I had the time to go get a new one before going. The pet shop’s an hour away.. When I got home, the bulb was damaged and didn’t work, so I had to go get a new one, but we really didn’t have time for it as we were getting ready for the vacation. So I bought a regular heating lamp.. I’m planning on changing both of them very soon, to bright white basking lights. Warmer and larger than the ones I have. I can’t seem to find a reason why my beardies won’t bask. They’re not too warm, if anything, too hot. They eat regularly but not a lot. I’m thinking it has something to do with the possible parasites.

erlabella

Original Poster
Beardeddtagonlover":srqdmy4r said:
do a fecal any vet should be able to do it there the same parasites found in most animals dogs,cats cattle etc then give the correct meds.i found this on amazon i don't know if its avaliable in your area
https://www.amazon.com/Reptiles-Rabbits-Turtles-Collect-Sample/dp/B000J5SOZ4/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1532471254&sr=8-6&keywords=fecal+sample and maybe the vet be able to prescribe meds just need the weight any reliable vet should be able.

Those are not available in my country:(

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

As long as the basking lights are bright white lights for basking, then they should get the
basking temperatures up to where they need to be.
I would definitely try to get a fecal done on them, to see if that is what's going on right
now. As suggested, most vets can do a basic fecal even on reptiles.
You can try to get some cilantro, parsley & basil or oregano & mix it with some water or
diluted cranberry juice to give to them daily. It helps with worms & parasite levels.
How are your two dragons doing today?

Tracie

Beardeddtagonlover

Hatchling Member
it seems when the bearded dragons are not feeling well they won't bask and they won't eat either i been feeding my beardie tru syringe for a while now before she would not bask at all now i put her in the basking spot and now she stays there for a couple hours making progress she was diagnosed with coccidia i lost a lot of time and is a long treatment i suggest you do a fecal ASAP.ask around see which vets can do it and they will give you a container to put the poop in.before my beardie got sick i did not know much about meds and parasites i been doing lot of research as far as parasites go there the same found in dogs and cats with the exeption of a few viral infections so the same meds are prescribed for dogs and cats and the meds go by the weight of the animal based on the dose of the meds convince a vet to treat your reptile.

erlabella

Original Poster
Drache613":u3velwqa said:
Hello,

As long as the basking lights are bright white lights for basking, then they should get the
basking temperatures up to where they need to be.
I would definitely try to get a fecal done on them, to see if that is what's going on right
now. As suggested, most vets can do a basic fecal even on reptiles.
You can try to get some cilantro, parsley & basil or oregano & mix it with some water or
diluted cranberry juice to give to them daily. It helps with worms & parasite levels.
How are your two dragons doing today?

Tracie

Thank you. I’ll try and see if it’ll help:) They’re doing good. They have eaten some salad and worms:)

Blue bottle fly larvie have an acid in them that kills intestinal parasites i feed my dragon bbf's once a month as a preventitive

erlabella

Original Poster
I bought some cranberry juice now :) contents are basically water, 25% cranberry juice and around 1.6% sugar. Not sure if it’s fine to give to my beardies or what. Should I add more water to the cranberry juice or is this fine?

Beardeddtagonlover

Hatchling Member
hi earlabella almost a month ago you posted you beardie might have parasites did you do a fecal how is you beardies now?the cranberrie juice is not a cure it will just put some elctrolytes some water,sugar and salt wil do the same thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abby999
Top Bottom