Bearded dragon found cold, eyes closed & mouth open. Buried

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nichaleigh

I am currently having a bit of a panic attack about my beardie. She hasn't been her happiest lately, her poos have been runny and she has closed her eyes in discomfort recently after just one or two worms/locusts as if to say "no more!"

Yesterday morning I woke up to fine her like I never have before, her eyes were closed while the heat and lights were on in the tank which she's never done, her mouth was open and she was cold and in same position. I sprayed her with water and instantly assumes she was dead as it just looked horrific. I held her and cried. I had to work yesterday day, me and my partner buried her probably 8-9 hours after I found her in that condition that morning.

When I got back to her that night to bury her her mouth had closed itself and she looked more peaceful than before but eyes still closed also, and she was still very very cold and in the same position.

She has been buried since last night but I am having a massive panic that she might have been buried alive as I'm now reading that beardies can go into comas or brumation. As sad as her death us, please someone tell me she was definitely dead and I haven't just buried my pet alive ?

Nichaleigh

Original Poster
She had also turned back all on her belly and beard like I'd never seen before, some liquid seemed to be forming like dribble on her lips also before we buried her. I really hope I buried my passed beardy and not my living one ?

Nichaleigh

Original Poster
She had also turned back all on her belly and beard like I'd never seen before, some liquid seemed to be forming like dribble on her lips also before we buried her. I really hope I buried my passed beardy and not my living one ?

I am no expert (a total newbie), but I assume you guys checked that she wasn’t breathing? They can wait a long time between breaths, but they DO have to breathe. If she wasn’t breathing at all, she was not alive.

Also, I believe beardies can be woken up pretty easily from brumation (no experience here, but my assumption from what I’ve read), and so I don’t think it would have slept completely unmoving while being buried.

Sounds like you’re safe, but I understand that sometimes worry can drive you nuts! I worry like crazy over everything, especially pets!

If it would make you feel calmer, you can have your partner dig her up and take her to the vet. They should be able to tell how she passed away for certain.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I'm sorry you lost your dragon. :( If she didn't move, wasn't breathing and was black under her beard + belly then she was dead.

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Beardie name(s)
Daisy, Loki, Rocket, Phoenix, Mulder & Scully. Non beardie pets: Stan (Leo) Cayde (Hognose) Tillery (cat)
Aw, I'm so Very sorry for your loss. :cry: :cry: :( Keep all your best memories of her close to you. :)

View media item 60492 Cisco sends her condolences.

JessPets

Gray-bearded Member
I am so so sorry, but it does sound like she probably passed away. Like the other poster mentioned, if it would make you feel better you could dig her up and check, but i'm sorry to say it isn't likely needed. :cry: :cry: :cry:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgiarichmond
Top Bottom