Decreased appetite, sleeps all day??

Status
Not open for further replies.
For the last two weeks my Rango has not been eating much. He’s spent just about every waking moment on his hammock sleeping, hardly moves except to turn around, and barely descends to the bottom of the viv. It’s summer, so I hardly think he’s brumating. I’m getting worried... when I take him out however, he’s pretty active and very alert.

A little back ground info:
He’s a rescue, approx 5 years old and lived a rough life before we got him in February this year. He’s about 12inches long, his tail is nubbed on the end and he’s missing toes. He never had any heating or lighting before he came to us and grew up in 20 gallon tank.He’s never really had much of an appetite (and won’t eat much salad), but typically loves his Dubia roaches and crickets. I know he has some form of MBD, but has improved a million times over since we rescued him. He’s a sass, but incredibly gentle.

It’s so hard for me to know if what his normal is, since he lived so roughly for so long. But I’ve definitely noticed his appetite has been less and less lately and I don’t know what else I should be doing or when I need to start force feeding. I should also mention I have been letting him soak 20-30 minutes approx 2 times a week. Any help would be appreciated. I’ll post some more about lighting and viv stuff below. This is my first dragon. I just want him to live out his days with us peacefully and with as much care as possible.

OTHER ANIMALS
........ Cohabitation? Housed alone
........ Are there other pets (cats, dogs ) in the household ? One cat, no issues when they are out together

SPECS
........How heavy are each of the beardies? Unknown
........ Beardie age? Approx 5 years
........ Gender? Male
........ Length? 12 inches, nubbed tail (not pointed)

VIV LIGHTING
Basking light
........ is it a coloured globe ? No
........ what is it's wattage ? 100w
........ how far from the basking spot ? 15inches
........ Night lights? No

........ UVB? Reptisun 5.0 UVB
........also is it sitting ontop mesh? No

VIV TEMPERATURES ?
>>> daytime
.......warm zone? 90-95F
.......basking spot? 100-105F
.......cool zone? 75-80F
...... how are you measuring your temperatures ? Digital therm
....... overnight minimum viv temperatures ? 70F

TANK
40 gallon

FEEDING SCHEDULE

........ when are you offering live feeder insects ? what are they ? how big are they ? Dubai roaches, crickets, super worms. Large Dubai’s, large crickets. Usually offered in the afternoon. Fed live bugs once daily to every couple of days

........ when are you offering greens and other veg ? what are you offering ? Daily. Lettuce, collard greens, kale, blueberries, carrot, cucumber. He hardly touches salad. I need to find mustard greens dandelion greens because I’ve heard they are great for dragons

Suppliments used ? Calcium powder dusted on the crickets. Brand is “repti calcium” and contains D3

RISKY INCLUSIONS
....... heat rocks? No
........ heat pads? No
........ Ceramic heat? No
........ mesh hammocks? No. Store bought thick twine hammock
........fake (indigestible greenery)? No
........ toxic plants in VIV? No

SUBSTRATE
paper towel

LIGHTING TIME SCHEDULE
7am-8pm
97585-5016687033.jpg
Viv set up
97585-9525232152.jpg
Rango
97585-6326273987.jpg
Rango and my cat Levi

RapscallionRed

Original Poster
By decreased appetite I mean he could eat 15 large dubia roaches in a single eating period and still want more and now he turns his nose up after one. He ate a few crickets today, but not with the same gusto as usual.

Normally he’ll nom on blueberries if I hand feed him. Now he won’t so much as give them the time of day.

kyleena29

Sub-Adult Member
The 5.0 uvb is really only half the strength he needs. You should be using the 10.0 reptisun or the Arcadia 12%. You can get by with a T8 but a T5 would be better. That could be the problem. A lack of uv could be making him sluggish and seems to be trying to get as much uv as he can by staying close to it. Lettuce is not nutritional at all for him.
Here is a good reference on foods.
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html
At his age he should be eating more veggies and less bugs. I know they don't like to stick to the rules though. I have trouble with my own beardies on this and have to hand feed them greens. 2-3x week for bugs and the rest should be veggies.
You can try even Asian or health food stores for dandelion greens if you want. I found dandelion greens and escarole from an Asian market.

RapscallionRed

Original Poster
Yeah, for some reason I thought it was 10.0 UVB and when I looked at it yesterday I realized it wasn’t ? I’ll grab one today probably.

I didn’t even think to check out an Asian market! There’s a new farmers market going in by my house. I’m hoping they’ll offer a lot of green variety.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom