My girl hasn't eaten in like, four days

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dar has been super difficult about crickets for the past few months. As of late, she's taken in no crickets and hardly any veggies. She is pretty underweight. She's very active, acts like nothing is wrong. Nothing in her setup has changed at all, she has good temperatures, and a good UV.

I'm ready to start syringe feeding her if she continues to refuse food. Any advice on how I can get her to eat?

Arawood

Hatchling Member
Hi! Have you tried feeding her anything besides crickets? Try some hornworms or butterworms. They don't sell those at any of my local pet stores so you may need to order them online. As for something you could get sooner, you could try some wax worms that you can normally find at Petsmart. Beardies usually love them as they are high in fat (so don't feed too many). My beardie also loves blueberries so maybe changing up her salad would be something to try as well.

Darthedraggo

Original Poster
I'll take a picture when I can, I'm not in reach of taking a picture right now. I have a 40 gallon tank (I'm pretty sure) a Reptisun 10 UVB, I don't have exact temps but the middle of the cage is in the low 90's and high 80's, the hot side is in the 90's and the cool side is on the low 80's and high 70's. She has basking log to hide under and bask on on the hot side, and the cool side has her water bowl and food bowl. There's a hammock over the top of it where she runs around and sleeps a lot.

Are the worms alright for her if she's under a year old? She'll be one year old in August.

destiny1998

Extreme Poster
Photo Comp Winner
Hornworms are good for hydration, but not as a staple. I give my Beardies hornworms about 4x a year. They do cause runny poops. Dubai roaches are good and so are Phoenix worms. Is the uvb a long tube, coil or compact? How are you taking the temps? You need to know the temps on the basking spot. There are only 2 ways to get accurate readings and that is a temp gun or a digital thermometer with a wire probe on the basking spot.

Darthedraggo

Original Poster
Alright, I'll take that into consideration. What about waxworms and butterworms?

The UVB is a bar that goes over the top. We have a thermometer bar that sticks on the outside of the cage glass, in the center, and it's all we have. When we've checked in for other ways and tools for temperature, it's never been in stock at the local stores.

destiny1998

Extreme Poster
Photo Comp Winner
That you are taking the temps outside the tank do no good. Beardies need certain temps for digestion and the temps need to be around 100 to 105 for proper digestion. Is the uvb a t8 or T5? It'll say on the end of the bulb. If it's the T8 that needs to be mounted under the screen. If it's a T5 it can stay on top of the screen.T8 is weaker than t5. Wax worms and butter worms are fatty and should only be given as a treat. Also have you checked a hardware store for a temp gun or digital thermometer with wire probe. Certain items you'll be better off buying online.

Darthedraggo

Original Poster
Since the bar is on the outside where it's colder, especially in our weather, I'm positive it's warmer in the cage. I'm sure the basking area is in the 100's. I'll look into a better way to check, and if I can I'll be sure to get one.

As far as food goes, I'll let her try a hornworm, hydrate her more, and will try roaches and a couple different types if worms (not as staples) and get her more interested in food. I'm sure she got bored with the same crickets and salad stuff (I mix it up but it's often very similar). I'll mix things up and try to make it better for her.

Darthedraggo

Original Poster
Finally was able to upload some pictures.

Here's my little demon of cuteness-

95215-6027500052.jpg
95215-9669973226.jpg
95215-5660103192.jpg

Sorry for picture quality, my phone camera is broken.

And here's her cage-

95215-2900710651.jpg

kyleena29

Sub-Adult Member
It is very important that you are monitoring temps properly. For proper digestion, the basking spot should be 100-105 for an adult. The cool end should be 75-85. Unless you can rule out this issue it could be what's causing her to feel off and not want to eat.
Here are a few things you can use:
For basking spot I use either a temp gun or digital thermometer with probe.
https://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-Digital-Terrarium-Thermometer/dp/B000MD3MFA/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1531844729&sr=8-3&keywords=reptile+digital+thermometer

For the cool end I like to use this:
https://www.amazon.com/Habor-Hygrometer-Thermometer-Temperature-Greenhouse/dp/B072XHJLFD/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1531844800&sr=8-3-fkmr0&keywords=hydrometer+and+thermometer+acurite

Or you can just use the temp gun. I like to be able to see the temps (and humidity) w/o dealing with pulling the temp gun out all the time but it's personal preference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom