Bearded Dragon Missing!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't posted in quite a while, but I am very concerned. My lizard, Sunny, whom is about a year old, was doing extremely better than my old lizard, and I was thrilled. I took extra care of him because I couldn't bare to lose another lizard. He was well fed, friendly and always loved being outside, which was great because I have a screened in patio that he cant get out of, so I let him get a couple hours of sun each day. He got bathed almost daily too. It is summer, and very nice out here so I have been letting him outside daily for many hours and misting him, a well as checking on him multiple times a day. Today I let him out at about 10:00 am, checked on him 45 minutes later, and he was fine. He was in the shade, just chilling, so I misted him. I checked again 45 minutes later again, and he was nowhere to be found. My sister had been outside on the patio doing something, and she said she didn't notice him. I've been looking for him for about six hours, with the help of 5, and at one point 6 other people. I can't even think of how he could get out. I fear someone must've taken him because he is nowhere to be found. He is always out on the patio somewhere every single day when I take him in for the day. However, I live at the back of my neighborhood and I've been in the downstairs portion of my house all day! I have sliding glass doors and the screen doors are loud when they open/close so I would've seen or heard them, unless they were sneaky. Also, the only people I've seen outside are my neighbor's landscapers, and they seemed pretty into their job so I doubt they took him. I checked and made sure there were no holes in my screen so I am confused. He can climb but he never really does, and even when he does, he doesn't go more than two feed above ground, and comes right down. If he did get out SOMEHOW, I fear he doesn't know his way back. It is extremely hot out, and he doesn't have water. Also, if manages to find his way back, there are plenty of hawks and snakes here as well as my neighbors "PET", ( A stray cat they picked up off the street about 200 miles away from here, and put on the street over here, and gave no training to ), whom ate 4 baby birds and chased a bunny through my backyard. I put out greens all inside my patio and out, just incase, as well as some water. Does anyone have ANY clue how to help me? I love him so much and I really don't want to lose another friend. Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It's rough when they disappear like that. They are often found though. He may not have gone outside if there isn't a good way out. If he was hanging out in the shade he may have found a cozy place for a nap. Look around in dark spaces that are pretty compact and would make a cozy place for a nap. Use a flashlight if needed. Look under and behind drapes, under pillows, in corners and under shelving etc. Keep looking because he is likely around somewhere not too far from where you last saw him. Keep an eye for him in and under bushes nearby outside just in case he did get out somehow but my guess is that he is still near where you last saw him.

FrankTheBeardie223

Original Poster
Thank you so much for the reply. I was pretty sure there was no way he can get out, and we searched inside my house and he wasn’t there. It is 11:30 pm and we checked again on the patio. It is quite large, so it wasn’t easy. It’s been 13 hours, and I’m losing hope, but still trying my best not to give up. I have security cameras, but I’m not sure what the password is. We are starting to fear more that he has been stolen, so access to the cameras is crucial. We are trying a page full of combinations tomorrow. Fingers crossed.

FrankTheBeardie223

Original Poster
After concluding that he thankfully wasn’t stolen, we decided to get some sleep. My mom wakes me up and she has his a (very dirty) bearded dragon in her hands. Turns out he went into the garden we made him and basically dug so deep his whole body was in the hole. He then somehow managed to burry himself alive. I never saw his hole digging as a concerning thing because the first few that he dug he would dig an inch or two deep, and cuddle there for a little. He is recovering now. We had him in a bath and heated him up on our hands while the lamps heated up. We then gave him some squash, which he took hungrily. He’s much happier now! Thank you for your help. I will definitely be keeping a closer eye on him!

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Great read he's turned up none the worse for the experience ….

I'm betting he followed someone as they through a door …. will have to be more aware in the future as he's likely to want to let himself out again now he's found a way.

KozmoRox

So glad you found Sunny! I lost my Kozmo(2 yrs old) a few weeks back, and found her after 5 long and sad days! We also thought she had escaped her free-roaming area and was wandering in the outdoors. Turns out she snuck into an open cupboard in the pantry and was napping behind the rice bags and cans of tomatoes the entire time! We looked and looked, sending out blasts on Nextdoor and putting up fliers! She reappeared a little perturbed and hungry. :roll:

Keeping an extra careful eye on her from here on out!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Is the garden you made outside or is it an indoor garden on the porch? They burrow naturally to help protect themselves and to regulate heat so that part isn't surprising and it's not necessarily harmful to him. So glad to hear you found him safe and sound!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Oh wow, that's GREAT he was found safe & sound even if he was dirty. I'm glad no one stole
him though! It's emotionally rough when you cannot find them & or they get lost outside.
I'm happy you have him back.

Tracie

FrankTheBeardie223

Original Poster
CooperDragon":t8bav72j said:
Is the garden you made outside or is it an indoor garden on the porch? They burrow naturally to help protect themselves and to regulate heat so that part isn't surprising and it's not necessarily harmful to him. So glad to hear you found him safe and sound!

The garden I have is inside of a screened in porch area. No snakes or anything can get in there and it’s pretty nice. I just let him dig a little bit now and once he gets to a certain point, I stop and patch it back up and let him start digging again. ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom