Not Eating Live Feeders

Status
Not open for further replies.

JLynn87

Hatchling Member
Lady Mufasa is roughly 11 months old, 296 g and approximately 12” long. She recently changed her eating habits and now I can barely get her to BSFL. She will eat her larvae about 3-4 times per week, but not very much. If given an option she will only eat vegetables. She will eat black soldier flies (O let the larvae turn into flies), but we have to wait for thenlwrvae to turn into flies. I will only give crickets if I have absolutely no other option, I do not like having them in the house as the are noisy, smelly and escape. She has issues with gout so Dubai’s are not an option. silkworms are hard to get and I am not the best at hatching. Hornworms are great, but I do not want to use as a staple. Is it okay that she only has BSFL 3-4 times per week? I give her a multivitamin (w/o vitamin A) once per week, liquid calcium (.09 ml) 3 times per week, liquid serrepeptase daily (.3 ml) daily, bee pollen daily, kidney support daily and Allopurinol (.2 ml) daily. She has a
22” ReptiSun T5HO 10.0 UVB tube with reflector mounted toward the back of her 40 gallon terrarium. Her temps range from 75 up to 104 F using an infrared gun and thermostat with a probe.

Also, do black soldier flies bite? Sometimes one is flying around her tank and will land on her.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The flies are good and they don't bite as far as I've seen. They are pretty slow moving and harmless. As long as she's eating veges then the decrease in bugs is fine, especially if she's on allopurinol. Lower amounts of protein might be easier on her system.

kyleena29

Sub-Adult Member
The flies actually don't even have mouths. They hatch out to breed then die a few days later without ever eating.

JLynn87

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thank you both! I was worried with her still growing that she was not getting enough protein and with her having gout, I know some, if not all, strains of protein can make it worse. I am sure Lady Mufasa will be pleased with a diet primarily composed of vegetables, lol. ?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

The flies don't bite & they are very good feeders. You could add a few superworms in also.
You can consider adding some alfalfa leaf powder for some good purine free protein for her.
Since she has gout, lower protein will be fine for her.
How is Lady Mufasa doing this evening?

Tracie

JLynn87

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Being a first time mom is stressful, I wish we spoke the same language! She seems okay, she eats a ton of collards and occasional squash and we found that turnip greens and mustard greens are yucky. I am worried about her appearance, I think her ribs are showing, but I am not sure if it is concerning or if she is healthy. What I cannot seem to figure out is her excessive desire to hide and/or sleep. I am wondering if her home is too small? If I put a cave in her tank then she has even less space to run around, but without a cave she has nowhere to hide. I offer the best lighting that I know of, so I am not inclined to think that is the issue. She has not shed in a few weeks so it could be she is going through a growth spurt. I am at odds, she seems happier outside of her tank and she will sleep over 12 hours if I let her. I know some of this is my fault since my work causes me to go off schedule and I am in school full time. I have been taking her into work on the weekends and bring her lights so she has heat and uvb. I am considering taking her to work with me everyday, I just need approval. I know it can be stressful to move then about so I do it in steps, if I keep her at home all the time then we have little to no time together outside of meals and bath. I do not want her to be a pet that must sit in a cage all the time, she needs some interaction and exercise. Am I all wrong in my thinking?

I have read numerous horror stories about super worms, should I remove their jaws? What size should I get and how many per week in order to maintain a healthy diet?

94265-8044842104.jpg

Jackie

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
JLynn87":3mkgwcmw said:
Being a first time mom is stressful, I wish we spoke the same language! She seems okay, she eats a ton of collards and occasional squash and we found that turnip greens and mustard greens are yucky. I am worried about her appearance, I think her ribs are showing, but I am not sure if it is concerning or if she is healthy. What I cannot seem to figure out is her excessive desire to hide and/or sleep. I am wondering if her home is too small? If I put a cave in her tank then she has even less space to run around, but without a cave she has nowhere to hide. I offer the best lighting that I know of, so I am not inclined to think that is the issue. She has not shed in a few weeks so it could be she is going through a growth spurt. I am at odds, she seems happier outside of her tank and she will sleep over 12 hours if I let her. I know some of this is my fault since my work causes me to go off schedule and I am in school full time. I have been taking her into work on the weekends and bring her lights so she has heat and uvb. I am considering taking her to work with me everyday, I just need approval. I know it can be stressful to move then about so I do it in steps, if I keep her at home all the time then we have little to no time together outside of meals and bath. I do not want her to be a pet that must sit in a cage all the time, she needs some interaction and exercise. Am I all wrong in my thinking?

I have read numerous horror stories about super worms, should I remove their jaws?
<<< I only give supers as treats , never more that 2 or 3 and maybe only once per week. I squash the supers' heads between my finger types - this destroys their jaws.

What size should I get and how many per week in order to maintain a healthy diet?
I'd rathe give silkworms every day …. you're beardie will handle medium and large silkworms without any drama and will likely love them.

94265-8044842104.jpg

Jackie

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
she looks fine to me.

She's only dark because she needs some warmth.

Loose skin is a very beardie thing …. it gives space for when they "pancake".

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Jackie,

How is she doing today?
She is looking really good. I'm glad to hear she is eating so well especially her veggies &
greens.
I don't think her home is too small though. In the past, I have taken a dragon to work with
me so I completely understand. As long as you can provide the proper UVB & heating there
isn't any reason why you can't take her to work. Did they approve it?
Supers can be fed regularly, as long as they have another insect to feed to give variety also.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom