Help! I Don’t know what I should do!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi! This is going to be a lot. I think my beardie is too skinny and I have no idea how to fix it.
Also, there are small bugs-very small- all over his cage. Then I started to notice them getting on him. I don’t think their mites because when he moves they get off.
If you have any advice on if he’s too skinny or what these bugs are, please respond!!
99768-9123236606.jpg

heres a pic of him.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

He looks a bit thin, yes. Can you review more of your tank setup, such as the type/brand
of UVB Lighting, the type of basking light & wattage, supplementation & temperatures? Is
that a sand mat in his tank & not loose sand?
As far as the small bugs, I am not sure what they are but you will need to completely clean
out his tank & disinfect it with either water & vinegar solution, a diluted bleach solution or
by steaming it. If you do use bleach, be sure to rinse very thoroughly, several times.
What sized tank is he housed in?
What types of foods do you feed him?

Tracie

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, he is a bit thin but not bad really. He definitely needs a tank cleaning for sure, get rid of the sandy stuff right away and you'll get rid of most of the bugs. Answer all the questions that Drache613 asked, it's very important in order to help your dragon out. Once his tank is in good shape with proper lighting he may begin to eat more after a while.

He may be a bit dehydrated so put him in a container lukewarm water for 5 minutes and dribble water over his snout to get him to drink. Be sure to pat him down to dry him + then back under the heat lamp so he doesn't get chilled.

apolloandrocky

Original Poster
Drache613":3a0x2ixj said:
Hello,

He looks a bit thin, yes. Can you review more of your tank setup, such as the type/brand
of UVB Lighting, the type of basking light & wattage, supplementation & temperatures? Is
that a sand mat in his tank & not loose sand?
As far as the small bugs, I am not sure what they are but you will need to completely clean
out his tank & disinfect it with either water & vinegar solution, a diluted bleach solution or
by steaming it. If you do use bleach, be sure to rinse very thoroughly, several times.
What sized tank is he housed in?
What types of foods do you feed him?

Tracie
Hi! I’m using a uvb 10.0. I am using actual sand, should I buy a mat? I will definitely clean it. The tank is about 3ft long and 2ft high. I’m sorry I don’t have actual measurements. I feed him 12 crickets everyday, but lately more because he has been looking skinny. Sometimes I add super worms. He loves squash and mixed greens, but I can only get him to eat them if I hand feed him. His tank has a tall branch to bask and two huge rocks as well. He also used to have small wood branches but I threw them away a long time ago. Thanks for responding!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Is your 10.0 UVB light a compact bulb or is it a tube (T8 or T5)? I would get rid of the sand and give the tank a good cleaning. Then put down something that is easy to clean and sanitize or cheap to replace like non adhesive shelf liner.

How old is he? His age will help determine what an appropriate diet is. When I offer live bugs I provide as many as they want in about 10 minutes or so. The number they eat varies. It's good that he's getting some veges in his system. Older dragons should be eating a primarily vegetarian diet so the more variety you can offer him the better. It's fine if he prefers hand feeding.

apolloandrocky

Original Poster
CooperDragon":1yy41smz said:
Is your 10.0 UVB light a compact bulb or is it a tube (T8 or T5)? I would get rid of the sand and give the tank a good cleaning. Then put down something that is easy to clean and sanitize or cheap to replace like non adhesive shelf liner.

How old is he? His age will help determine what an appropriate diet is. When I offer live bugs I provide as many as they want in about 10 minutes or so. The number they eat varies. It's good that he's getting some veges in his system. Older dragons should be eating a primarily vegetarian diet so the more variety you can offer him the better. It's fine if he prefers hand feeding.
It’s a compact bulb, and he’s about 5 yrs old. I adopted him from a reptile store because he was returned after the family couldn’t take care of him. That was about a year ago.

kyleena29

Sub-Adult Member
How old is the uvb and how close can he get to it? Is there a screen or anything between the bulb and your beardie?

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
apolloandrocky":1f8mamnj said:
CooperDragon":1f8mamnj said:

It’s a compact bulb, and he’s about 5 yrs old. I adopted him from a reptile store because he was returned after the family couldn’t take care of him. That was about a year ago.

I notice his eyes look a bit swollen ==> lack of UVA is a possible cause.

What wattage is the 10%UVB compact ?
…. if it's a 13W , it's way too weak, he'd literally have ware the dome as a hat with the compact turned on to get sufficient UVA and UVB.
…. if it's a 25W or 26W , he needs to be able bask about 6-8 inches from the compact if it's in a reflector dome and NOT sitting ontop a mesh lid/screen
see this for sorting out the proper set up for a bearded dragon's UV lighting : viewtopic.php?f=1&t=244145&p=1859473#p1859473
…. if the UV light is over 6 months old , time to ditch it and replace with new 26W UVB200 compact , or even better to upgrade to a 24W T5HO 10%UVB or 12%UVB tube and a proper reflector hood (see above).

And yes - turf out all that sand , and I suggest use some F10sc made up 1:250 in a spray bottle to sterile the tank now sandless tank - no more sand , nor any other particle type substrate - there is NO good particulate substrate for bearded dragons.

Can you please give us a run down on
the tank temperatures (during the day) at the basking spot, the warm zone, cool zone ?
the photoperiod (when are the lights turned on / off each day) ?
the feeding schedule ? the diet ? ….. I recommend this as your best diet and feeding Schedule guide : viewtopic.php?f=18&t=236074

apolloandrocky

Original Poster
kingofnobbys":2ip9r789 said:
apolloandrocky":2ip9r789 said:
CooperDragon":2ip9r789 said:

…. if it's a 13W , it's way too weak, he'd literally have ware the dome as a hat with the compact turned on to get sufficient UVA and UVB.
…. if it's a 25W or 26W , he needs to be able bask about 6-8 inches from the compact if it's in a reflector dome and NOT sitting ontop a mesh lid/screen
see this for sorting out the proper set up for a bearded dragon's UV lighting : viewtopic.php?f=1&t=244145&p=1859473#p1859473
…. if the UV light is over 6 months old , time to ditch it and replace with new 26W UVB200 compact , or even better to upgrade to a 24W T5HO 10%UVB or 12%UVB tube and a proper reflector hood (see above).

And yes - turf out all that sand , and I suggest use some F10sc made up 1:250 in a spray bottle to sterile the tank now sandless tank - no more sand , nor any other particle type substrate - there is NO good particulate substrate for bearded dragons.

the tank temperatures (during the day) at the basking spot, the warm zone, cool zone ?
the feeding schedule ? the diet ? ….. I recommend this as your best diet and feeding Schedule guide : viewtopic.php?f=18&t=236074
I just bought a new light because the light is about 5 1/2 months old, using the one you suggested.
The basking spot is usually 105 degrees and the cool spot is
Around 86 degrees.
His light turns off at 9 and turns on at 8.
Thank you guys for the help!

What I would suggest is first of all clean his tank. Get rid of the sand and disinfect and sanitize everything. You can use paper towels as a substarte and then if you want change them for reptile carpet. Looks like you need a new UVB source. Get a Reptisun 10.0 tube, not a coil bulb or compact bulb.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
apolloandrocky":31f5e68m said:
kingofnobbys":31f5e68m said:
apolloandrocky":31f5e68m said:
CooperDragon":31f5e68m said:

I just bought a new light because the light is about 5 1/2 months old, using the one you suggested.
The basking spot is usually 105 degrees and the cool spot is
Around 86 degrees.
His light turns off at 9 and turns on at 8.

<<< that is 11 hours per day - this is WAY TOO SHORT , he thinks it's perpetually winter , see viewtopic.php?f=1&t=236209&p=1815777#p1815777
I STRONGLY recommend you bump this up by at least 4 hours per day , investment in a table lamp timer is an excellent idea , this way you can set and forget the photoperiod and know the lights will turn on & off the same times EVERY DAY
I have all my UV and basking lights on the one timer via an 8 outlet powerboard , this this timer I use : https://www.bunnings.com.au/hpm-24-7-slimline-digital-timer_p4420556 which works a treat, some use mechanic timers that you dial up (and tick).
Thank you guys for the help!

apolloandrocky

Original Poster
Hi! I had to leave town for a week in July, which got him very nervous and very, very skinny. Ever since then I have been feeding him double. He is doing well, much better than a month ago. I began spaying him with hot water as well. I think he may have been dehydrated, because after a couple days, he was acting more energetic than ever. I have cleaned his cage, and replaced the sand. I changed his bulb too. Thank you for all your help!

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
apolloandrocky":3enw5qx0 said:
CooperDragon":3enw5qx0 said:

I concur …. remove the sand IMMEDIATELY.
F10 everything and every surface (follow the instructions on the back of the small bottle of F10sc regarding dilution rate per litre and contact time).

Replace the sand with either loose laid ceramic floor tiles or a few layers of domestic Scott Towel (absorbant tough paper toweling).

If it's a compact , what wattage is it ?
is it mounted ontop a mesh lid ?
is It in a dome reflector or a nano-style hood ?
how far is it from him when he's basking ?
how old is it ? they are only good for 6 months.

I noticed a odd color in the photo - is that coming from the basking globe ?
If so - the basking globe needs to be replaced with one that doesn't produce coloured light.

Regarding a balanced adult dragon diet, refer to this : viewtopic.php?f=18&t=236074

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I am happy to hear your dragon is doing better now. :D It sounds like you got the tank all
cleaned out well also, which had to have helped quite a bit.
Is he eating well & gaining some weight now?
Be sure to post some new pictures of him so we can see his progress.

Tracie

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
That's great to hear that he's doing so much better. :) Spraying will help if he drinks it or just once n a while to raise humidity [ helps them to shed ] but be careful not to overdo it. Post pics of his new set up when you can.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom