Need some advice! Not sure what to do!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SirGrizz

So my beardie "Reptar" has been in a 30 gallon terra since I got him. I tried moving him into a 55 gallon and he didn't do so well with it. I moved him back into his 30 gallon and he has been acting strange ever since. He was fine before when he was in it and now he has been acting really lethargic. I have checked his temps and they are fine. His food has not changed. Also he has not shed in a while. He has started having a weird color change on his belly and its got me worried that it may be something serious. Please help!
100230-9334287718.jpg

Shadow13

Hi, I'm sorry this is happening, My littles guys gets me worried all the time. Im not quite sure if this is what you are concerned about so I'll explain. The color on his belly you were talking about. If it's the kind of circle things. Those are "stress marks". Which almost all beardies have on a pretty regular bassis. My boy has them in the morning, before the heat lamp turns on. Which I'm guessing is probably from moving tanks. As for the lethargic state he's in. What is your set up? Lights? Substrate? Temps? Any kind of information like that might help. How long was he in the other tank before he became lethargic? What do you feed him? When beardedies become adults their shedding slows down to 1-3 times a year normally.

I hope I can be of some help

~E

Beardeddtagonlover

Hatchling Member
sirgrizz if he was fine before you moved him to the 55 gallon then thats normal the belly could be sign of stress then when you moved him back probably got stressed more how long was he in the 55 gallon tank for ? i would suggest changing him back to the 55 and let him get used to it it takes time he most likely will be stressed out but it will pass.everytime you move your beardie from enclosure to enclosure depends on the animal some will get stressed more then others.

SirGrizz

Original Poster
He was in the "new" tank for about a week. I transferred everything that was in his old tank into the new tank. As far as setup; for substrate I am using paper towels for easy clean up. I have a UVB lamp, heat lamp and a "moonlight" night lamp. As far as temps go currently his basking side is 97. The cool side is 80. As far as food goes, he is on superworms and spinach. I had a hard time getting him to eat any greens at first until I started putting the super worms in with his spinach. He started eating the spinach. Thats when I started pulling the superworms out of the spinach. He gets superworms almost every day separate from the spinach. He is not quite a year old. I just gave him a warm soak in a bath and he did end up using the bathroom so I know he is not impacted.

destiny1998

Extreme Poster
Photo Comp Winner
Hi. How are you taking the temps? What kind of uvb light? Brand? Coil/compact or long tube? Is Super worms and spinach all you feed him? Do you just his feeders with calcium?

SirGrizz

Original Poster
destiny1998":1lyc6wl0 said:
Hi. How are you taking the temps? What kind of uvb light? Brand? Coil/compact or long tube? Is Super worms and spinach all you feed him? Do you just his feeders with calcium?

The temps are taken by a analog thermometer that’s at his basking spot and his cooler side. The UV light is a compact that sits right in the middle of the top. His feeders are dusted with calcium every time I feed them to him. Spinach is the only greens I can get him to eat.

Beardeddtagonlover

Hatchling Member
Please stop feeding spinich for us spinich is good for you beardie is not is a calcium binder so is brocoli too much of it your beardie wont be able to absorb the calcium try something else any type of greens,collard,mustard,or dindellion greens superworms as a staple can cause problems can you get dubias? Lot of beardies like them,im no expert but superworms and spinich is a recipe for disaster,i would tranfer him back into the 55 gallon the 30 gallon is not that big and small for your beardie i would get him checked out by a vet and let him know about the spinich hopefully hes fine but spinich as a staple is a no no.depends on your beardie it can takevup tob2 weeks to get settled in in new enclosure.what is the depth of the 55 gallon ? For an adult you need 24

JessPets

Gray-bearded Member
Transfer him back to the larger enclosure and just let him settle down. Yes, he will be a bit stressed for a while, but he is going to have to move up sometime, might as be now.

destiny1998

Extreme Poster
Photo Comp Winner
Thanks for answering. The uvb light should be replaced with a reptisun 10.0 t5. The coil is not producing enough uvb and the screen blocks most of the rays. The t5 long tube can be put on top of the screen since it is way more powerful and they only need to be replaced once a year. And yes put him back in the bigger tank. He'll be fine in a week or 2. Turn off the moon bulb those are crap. As long as your house does not get below 65_@_night no heat source is needed. If it does then you want a CHE low wattage. That gives off heat and no light.

SirGrizz

Original Poster
destiny1998":1mdu11xv said:
Thanks for answering. The uvb light should be replaced with a reptisun 10.0 t5. The coil is not producing enough uvb and the screen blocks most of the rays. The t5 long tube can be put on top of the screen since it is way more powerful and they only need to be replaced once a year. And yes put him back in the bigger tank. He'll be fine in a week or 2. Turn off the moon bulb those are crap. As long as your house does not get below 65_@_night no heat source is needed. If it does then you want a CHE low wattage. That gives off heat and no light.

So there is no need for me to have the "night light" on for him at night then?

destiny1998

Extreme Poster
Photo Comp Winner
Nope. Just junk the pet stores sell. Beardies have a 3rd eye on top of their head and they see light even with a moon bulb and keeps them awake.

JessPets

Gray-bearded Member
Nope, night lights are completely unnecessary, and actually can affect their sleep patterns and well being.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
El heffe
Top Bottom