New baby beardie not eating

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reeseunion

I could use some help, I recently baught two baby beardies they are in seperate tanks. At first they were eating but since have stopped eating their meal worms and never touched their greens at all. I think the temps are ok but they might not be quite as hot as needed not sure, they have basking lights but no uv lighting waiting till payday to buy those.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
OK …. a few issues likely here .
Feeders

mealworms - very bad staple feeder for hatchlings , only really good as a very rare treat/bribe and best not more than a few at time , they are very poor nutritionally (high fat, low Ca/P and unless you only give the fresh shed (white / soft) ones --> can cause GIT impaction in beardies under 12 months old because they have some bottlenecks / hairpin turns in their GIT when young.

Better off giving
>> Housefly gents / pupae and even the flies (little hatchlings love these and will leap to catch them)
>> Blowfly gents / pupae and the flies ( ditto )
>> Black soldier fly lavae / pupae and the flies (quite slow moving and ditto) … try to get the white very wrigglely lavae ...these will be more "interesting" to a hatchling and they must be separated from the bedding they come in (I simply fish them out by hand).
>> small silkworms (if the hatchling is under 50g I'd offer silkworms 1" - 1.5" long)
>> suitable sized crickets *, roaches* or locusts *
* not longer than the distance between the hatchlings' eyes, and gutloaded with high calcium greens , carrot and dry lizard pellets (crickets love them) , and dusted every feed.

compare feeder insects : viewtopic.php?f=34&t=235611
veg : http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html

Under 6 months old , 3 meals of live insects (as many as the hatching wants in a sitting) per day, offer salad but is not important if the hatchling shows no interest in the green stuff and grated vegs.
Need more than 95% live insects while very young and rapidly growing and developing as a hatchling.

See this for indications of sizes feeders
silkworm size that's OK for a 2 month old hatchling
27feb2016_silkworms_size1.gif

SILKWORMS_27_JUL2017_18mm.png

Housefly and blowfly gents
gents_size_close_to_pupal_stage.png

Crickets (I'd be looking for 20 day old crickets or 1/4 size)
smaller_crickets_sizes.png

It's OK to hand feed a hatchling who is refusing to feed - this shows how some people do this : viewtopic.php?f=18&t=235583, I recommend you get into a routine of giving each a few live insects by hand each day as a bonding ritual , it's a fabulous way to bond with lizard and earn their trust. I've done this will all my pet and rescued wild lizards, and also do It with my resident local wild lizards too
…. yes even wild lizards can learn to trust (and like you) and take food treats from my hands and between my finger tips , and even let me pet them.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Other likely issues :
Essentially following this : viewtopic.php?f=6&t=236150&p=1815390#p1815390
1) can they see each other ?
2) temperatures
>> basking spot ? (NO HOTTER THAN 40 degC (100 degF))
>> warm zone ? (aim for about 35 degC)
>> cool zone ? (aim for about 30 degC)
>> overnight ? (no colder than 24 degC overnight for a hatchling)
>> how are you measuring these (which what ? show us )?
3) UV source = very important
show us
> exactly what is it ( type = compact (curly) , t8 tube, t5ho tube , or MVB ) ?
> UVB rating ? …. should be rated 10% or higher
> wattage ?
> brand ?
> in reflector dome or a reflector hood ?
> ontop or under a mesh / or solid lid ?
> how far from the basking spot? …. aiming for 200 microW UVB / sq.cm at the basking spot , 100 microW UVB elsewhere.

4) photoperiod , how long are the basking and UV lights on each day ? …. I run my lights on a timer on 6am off 10pm EVERY DAY.
5) feeding schedule , when are they fed and how do you feed them ?
6) substrate - what are you using ?
7) are they pooing ? how often (each) and when was the last poo ?
8 ) are you weighing each of them ? …. recommend using a glass flat topped kitchen scale to weigh each ONCE A WEEK and that you chart / graph their growth
9) other animals in house ?

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Reeseunion":1mnntx0y said:
I could use some help, I recently baught two baby beardies they are in seperate tanks. At first they were eating but since have stopped eating their meal worms and never touched their greens at all. I think the temps are ok but they might not be quite as hot as needed not sure, they have basking lights but no uv lighting waiting till payday to buy those.

A PROPER UV source Is MANDATORY …. your dragons can not survive or thrive or grow without it.

ONLY GOOD brands are Exo Terra , Zoo Med and Arcadia Reptile.

Guidence I've put together on setting up your UV source and temperatures : viewtopic.php?f=34&t=235611

Until you buy the UV source (needs to be at least 24W and rated 10% UVB) if you can take the hatchlings into the natural sunlight (in an open topped plastic tub (too tall for them the climb or jump out if it's warmer than 80 degF to give them about 1 hour each per day of NATURAL SUNLIGHT WHILE GUARDING THEM (to protect them from cats, dogs, wild animals, and predatory birds) this will help them.

UVI higher than 10 is good for bearded dragons. assuming you are in the usa https://www.epa.gov/sunsafety/uv-index-1#day2

If they are small, it will be too dangerous to let them explore in the garden or on the deck or the driveway or grass - they are very easily spooked and move much faster than you can and can very easily run away and never be seen again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom