3 yr old female injuring self

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gizmo2015

Please help. I am inexperienced with reptiles. My daughter wanted a bearded dragon, I gave in and fell in love with her. I know nothing and have been winging it for 3 yrs. her enclosure is 2x2x4, stone tile flooring, her temps range from 95 to 100 on the warm side an 70-80 on the cool side. She get salad daily, supers and crickets, they are dusted with calcium. I mist her twice a day. She gets a weekly bath and is a fan of apples. When she came out of brumation, she had infertile eggs and has been weird since. She scratches so much that she has ripped her claws off and injured her toes. I have her hands bandaged and she has black scales under her tail and her feet look bruised. I’m freaking out. Any advice would be appreciated

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Let her have MORE out of tank time. I expect this is hormonal and her hormones are playing havoc with her and causing this …. full of beans and sounds like she still wants to lay l have you provided a dig box for her to rummage about in and dig to her heart's content ?.

Terry15

Sub-Adult Member
I’ve been taking care of my niece’s dragon for 3 years now myself. I’m glad I found this website, it has helped. I would put some non adhesive shelf liner over top of the tile, that may help her little feet. Mystic is a male, but going through hormonal issues too. I let him out a lot in the house, but he still finds new places to hide. Lately he has been chilling out in front of the fridge, warming his belly on the floor. I hope your Beardie will be ok. There’s a lot of great info on this site. They are very strong willed.
83443-5203585140.jpg

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi Gizmo, can you post pics of your dragon, her set up and her wounds so they don't get mixed up with Terry's pic of er dragon ? [ I thought it was yours until I read the post ] Pics are very important.

I agree that she probably has more eggs to lay. And BTW, many beardies wear their nails down, it's not always a real health issue unless they get infected. Here's how to post pics :

https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ Then use the XIMG to upload them

Gizmo2015

Original Poster
As soon as I get off of work I will upload pics, I can’t seem to do it on my phone. Gizmo is her name, i used it for user name.

Gizmo2015

Original Poster
I have her wounds bandaged, she was bleeding a lot, it was way too much. I have neosporine on the wounds and I made her mini cast out of gauze and tape. I gave her a nice bath today and hand fed her apple slices, besides the weird behavior and the wounds, she is active and eating, she hasn’t had a bowel in 2 days.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Another thing you might want to try is putting down some fleece blankets over the tile. They won't get caught in the nails and are soft and will provide some relief to the hands and feet. If you put down some layers it allows them to dig a bit and burrow without hurting their hands.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is your girl doing? These things happen quite often to the girls. She may have more eggs
to lay. I agree, try putting some soft blankies down on the bottom of her tank to help out.
Keep putting the ointment on the hands to help keep them from getting infected.
Gizmo is a cute name for her! That's good to hear she is eating though. Let us know how she
is doing.

Tracie

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
CooperDragon":k3g928vt said:
Another thing you might want to try is putting down some fleece blankets over the tile. They won't get caught in the nails and are soft and will provide some relief to the hands and feet. If you put down some layers it allows them to dig a bit and burrow without hurting their hands.

An old t-shirt (complete with your BO) or a old t-towel works too. My gang love paper toweling.... 3 or 4 layers , they can scratch away and shred it to their hearts' content …. Toothless loved to make a little nest (and block the ends of his Hubbahut with shredded paper....

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Put some raw unpasteurized honey on her feet and wrap them back up. Be sure there are n loose crickets in the tank. And after her feet are healed you might want to look in to using a sand/soil substrate. Some energetic dragons do much better when they can alleviate their strong urge to dig which they can do in that type of set up. I used one for years, no impaction problems and my dragons loved digging in it.

Tile is not natural for beardies.

Gizmo2015

Original Poster
She’s doing better I have on a white T-shirt I took the bandages off. I’m on my way to the pet store now to get sand and stuff for her. She has discolored feet and scales that I’m concerned about. I took the bandages off and the rooms are closed. I’m going to post pictures of her wounds and the discolored scales. I’ve heard of a fungus that you need to be concerned about. I love her a lot but I am thinking about giving her away someone who knows what they’re doing. It would break my heart. I just want to make sure she’s happy and healthy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LittleSofa
Top Bottom