Euthanizing a bearded dragon?

Status
Not open for further replies.
100195-1175685260.jpg
Hello! I have had a bearded dragon that has been on meds for about a month now. I got her in late October with a small curve to the spine. I noticed as she got older that it curved more, but never showed any signs of discomfort. Until a couple months ago she had runny poop which I then dewormed her and got test back negative from the vet. Since after the meds she has been declining. I took her to the vet after her deworming because I noticed she was lethargic and her gums were swollen. The vet gave me anti inflammatory meds and calium injections, which I have been giving to her. I honestly don’t think this vet knows what she’s doing because she told me to get a heating pad for the bottom of my beardys enclosure! I also told the vet that my beardy was breathing through her mouth... and my vet didn’t perscribe me any antibiotics until I asked for them but by then my beardy got even more worse. Her gums are so swollen and dried every time I give her her meds through syringe they open and bleed. Her skin is very sensitive to touch. I think her body is rejecting the calium injections because it is slightly swollen. Since the injections she has been twitching more. I had been doing what the vet tells me to but I feel as though my beardy is trying to tell me something. I stopped giving her the meds as of this week because I feel she just can’t take it anymore abut I’m not sure. She looks as though she’s giving up because I let her drink some water and she started licking but then started coughing because I guess she couldn’t swallow properly. She won’t eat and I feel as though since she is t eating the meds are making her sick. I do try and feed her and when I do she spits it out or let’s it sit on the bottom of her throat. I’m not sure what else I can do because I also am on a budget but also any meds I give her she has a hard time swallowing. The last meds that should have worked would be the antibiotics but I only gave her two doses and she was supposed to get seven. I stopped because she’s so far gone now I hate forcing her mouth open. Her nose is now clogged from all the stuff up inside her mouth and the antibiotics are supposed to help with that but I just can’t bare touching her anymore because of how sensitive she is. Her substrate is carpet and her temps are fine as I just updated them. I have a thermometer 95-100 degrees on one end and 87 on the other. Since I got her she has been eating calcium dusted crickets, horn worms and butter and silkworms. She also ate salads mixed with greens and sometimes fruit and bell peppers with the calcium of course. She has been taking vitamins this past month and also probiotics. She had liquid calcium as well before the start of her meds with d3. The vet was honestly milking me of my money and I don’t know what else to do because it would just cause her more discomfort.

Pastella

If they give you medication you need to give the full dose and for the amount of time they say otherwise it's useless. Calcium injections, anti-inflammatory and antibiotics could really help! I completely understand that you do not want to cause more distress, but sometimes animals (and humans) have to go through uncomfortable treatment to get over illness. I'm not sure why she would react poorly to calcium injections. In her weak state of not eating they are a good idea. I think swelling and pain to touch is likely unrelated to the injections.

When it comes to euthanizing you have to ask yourself how much the animal is suffering, the likely hood of getting better and their quality of life in the future.

What did they say is wrong with her? What are the antibiotics for? You need to not be afraid to ask questions. The more you know the better!

Jamilahhosein

Original Poster
Well her antibiotics are for her lungs and mouth but the thing is she has a hard time swallowing and leaves the medication in her throat. Is it ok to give her meds like that if she won’t swallow... or even eat food? I mean when she drank water she choked and I had to hold her upside down so she can spit it out and a lot cane out. She also already finished the meds but the vet won’t send me more injections as I am still waiting on the delivery... now her dose for those injections are 0.3 mL every 72 hrs and I am still waiting for the vet to send them. The vet is not very helpful and since they are stalling me and telling me to wait she just keeps getting worse. Since I don’t have the needles I have been giving her liquid calcium with d3. The doctor said MBD but since she has scoliosis it’s much worse. Her scoliosis was so bad she her body made extra bone so she has a bump to stop her back from grinding. But I’m confused because since I started giving her the injections she twitches more than usual. I guess I’ll try and finish her meds but she’s choking and the vet is really no help because they don’t respond.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Oh my, she is receiving way too much calcium first off. I highly recommend ceasing the
calcium injections. They are not really recommended except in extreme situations. On
top of liquid calcium with D3, that is causing hypercalcemia which will lead to softening
of the bones & possible calcification of organs, etc.
For now, I would stop giving all calcium sources for a week or so, to let her system try to
flush out. How are you giving the meds through the syringe? It is hard on them to get food
& meds that way so you need to be careful. Since her mouth is raw, you can get some raw,
unpasteurized honey to put on the mouth & gum area. It is safe to use on the mouth so if
she licks some of it that is fine.
Are you using a good UVB light source?
Don't give up on her quite yet, I think it is possible you could get her back to health but
for now, please cease all medications, including the calcium for now.
The antibiotics are likely not needed & combined with the calcium shots, etc they are
making things worse.
Can you try to drip fluids onto her snout instead of forcing a syringe into her mouth to see
if she will drink that way?
Keep her warm overnight, around 80 or so in her tank to help boost her immune system.

Tracie

Jamilahhosein

Original Poster
I guess I’ll try that and see. She does drink water but anything more she doesn’t lick. Her gums are extremely swollen and most I do is keep them clean. Well as clean as I possibly can without hurting and inflaming them again. I’ll give her honey as well to see what that can do but she’s getting stiff in her body and stays in one spot but she been fighting for so long.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Jamilahhosein":1cubjv5t said:
I guess I’ll try that and see. She does drink water but anything more she doesn’t lick. Her gums are extremely swollen and most I do is keep them clean. Well as clean as I possibly can without hurting and inflaming them again. I’ll give her honey as well to see what that can do but she’s getting stiff in her body and stays in one spot but she been fighting for so long.

Buy a tube of ACTIVON see http://www.advancismedical.com/products/activon-manuka-honey/activon-tube

and a 14G drawing up needle see http://www.vapeking.com.au/14g-stainless-steel-blunt-needle/
and a conical syringe tip see https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/20x-Glue-Syringe-Tips-for-Solder-Paste-Adhesive-Luer-Lock-Plastic-Nozzle/301573625669?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=600468030933&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Use the drawing up needle on a syringe to suck some honey into a 1ml plastic syringe ,
then remove the drawing up needle and attach the plastic nozzle ,
use the nozzle to apply honey to the gums two or three times per day ---- if the dragon licks the honey - this wont hurt ….
leave the honey in the syringe with the nozzle attached (but plunger pulled back a bit to stop honey from leaking out under pressure - keep in fridge.

ie I've also used this kind of setup
SYRINGE_and_green_feeding_cone_from_Ebay.png

to get HerpaBoost , VetaFarm Reptile Critta Care and viscous liquid meds into the mouths of lizards, got to get the mouth enough to get the nozzle into the mouth , again a two person job unless the lizard is prepared to lick the paste off it's nose and lips , works well

and for really difficult situations this works and is indestructible and wont hurt the lizard's teeth, gums , jaws or mouth
syringe_and_18_G_medication_-_crop_needle.png

Regarding heatpad - I think this is good idea , place it under a layer of tiles and place her on the warmed tiles on tee-towel …. this will help keep her warm 24/7 while she's sick and help boost her immune system.

Consider getting some critical care for her and a feeding kit.... she needs high quality very potent food suppliments to help build her back up.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Let us know how she is doing. Poor thing, her joints & body probably do not feel good.
The calcium excess has most likely stiffened her up some. Is she breathing normally
right now, just not being very active?

Tracie

Jamilahhosein

Original Poster
Ok so I just put the honey onto her gums but I have a night heater. She is about ten inches from it. Right now she is in a 20 gal tank. What should I feed her as opposed to food. I have been mashing up dried crickets and putting it into her mouth. Also I have been buying squash baby food. I want to post another pic on here of her but it’s not letting me. If you’re comfortable we can use my email it is [email protected]

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Sure, I will PM you my email so you can send more pictures.
How is she doing tonight? Just be sure she doesn't get too warm, 76-80 is fine.
I hope the honey helps her gums, poor girl. For now, you could try getting some chicken or
turkey baby food & mix that with either squash baby food or sweet potato baby food. Just
dab some food on her nose to see if she will attempt to lick some of it off. You can gently
try to open her mouth just with your finger, carefully, to put some food at the front of her
mouth. She should like the flavor.
Let us know how she is doing.

Tracie

Jamilahhosein

Original Poster
So I will buy the baby food tomorrow morning and feed her. Do you think I should mix some probiotics into that... I mean I feel as if the meds made her more sick but also since she has been off the calcium injections she has been twitching even more in her tail. I mean I know I should try everything as plain and natural as possible but please let me know if there is more I can do. ?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

The meds have probably really made her sick & will mess with her appetite. You can get
some probiotics for her, that should help some.
As far as her tail twitching, her system is out of whack right now with too much calcium.
Can she even lift herself off of the ground right now? Is she still stiffened up a lot?
How does she handle being picked up?

Tracie

Beardeddtagonlover

Hatchling Member
i would give the meds for the lungs and mouth her throat is probably swollen and that's why shes having a hard time swallowing just like when we get bronchitis,.as for the probiotics i been having good luck for over the counter acidophilus get the tablet form they dissolve really good in water i read on the forum to give about 1/4 tablet discontinue 2 weeks after the meds have finished.also i ordered this copper dragon gave me the link http://www.bug-de-lite.com/ccp8/Item/Reptophilus i got the flukers repta boost i read better reviews i didnt had to force feed my beardie he liked it.i also found this link on over the counter acidophilus viewtopic.php?f=61&t=165637.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom