Beardie with Gout - Advice Needed

Status
Not open for further replies.
So after a vet visit today, my 9 year old Beardie was diagnosed with gout.
Her left front leg is very painful, and she will not use it.
We are supposed to be giving her some black cherry extract daily as well as cutting out proteins from feeders completely till symptoms improve (proteins in vegetation is fine).

Her leg swelled up and became painful only a few days ago, it was a few days after being fed a pinky mouse that was meant for our snake but wouldnt eat it when in blue.
We didn’t want to waste it, so we gave it to her.

I was wondering if anyone else on here has dealt with gout in bearded dragons, and what I can do to make her feel more comfortable. I had an idea I wanted to try, my vet is closed so I can’t get their opinion. But I was thinking of taking some soft gauze and wrapping her arm to her body. She keeps it straight back close to her body anyways, and I figured it’d help to prevent her from having to use it too much.

I greatly appreciate any help and advice!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Sorry to hear about your girl's diagnosis. Gout seems to be becoming a more common issue
over the last few years.
Did the vet take blood to test the uric acid levels at all? The black cherry extract is very
good. You can use alfalfa powder also, for a non purine protein source. I would also inquire
about using allopurinol. It is really the only medication that will take the uric acid levels
down.
Do you have any pictures of your dragon along with the setup, too?

Tracie

KaylaRhnee

Original Poster
Drache613":28bop04t said:
Hello,

Sorry to hear about your girl's diagnosis. Gout seems to be becoming a more common issue
over the last few years.
Did the vet take blood to test the uric acid levels at all? The black cherry extract is very
good. You can use alfalfa powder also, for a non purine protein source. I would also inquire
about using allopurinol. It is really the only medication that will take the uric acid levels
down.
Do you have any pictures of your dragon along with the setup, too?

Tracie

Thank you for the advice Tracie!
Yes blood work was done in house and was determined her Uric acid levels were quite high. The vet determined we caught it early enough that the extract should help greatly, but if symptoms persist we will have to start her on some medications that will bring down those levels. If nothing seems to improve over the next few days we will call and bring her back in.

I hope this link will work, I’m not sure how to put photos in here (I’m on mobile). But this is something I posted about her when I first noticed the swelling and limping.
http://aminoapps.com/p/wf82ms

As for her set up let me see if I can get a photo on here. She’s in a 40 breeder with repti carpet. She has two large basking rocks under her baskin area, and a large piece of wood for climbing. She also has a UVB fixture, the tubes not the compacts.

KaylaRhnee

Original Poster
I also want to add that in the x Ray her bones seemed in good condition, no issues there. There was visible indicators of gout within the wrist and elbow.
I usually supplement her with calcium every feeding and multi vitamin once a week.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is she doing today?
That is good they did do a blood test & an x-ray then. So many times the gout doesn't show
up on the x-rays at all, so at least it was caught early. Maybe she wont have to get on the
allopurinol, but with the uric acid being that high she may need to be given them for a short
bit. Hopefully the black cherry extract will pull the levels down some.

The swelling isn't horrible so far so you did catch it pretty quickly!
Let us know how she is doing.
Tracie

KaylaRhnee

Original Poster
Thanks again Tracie!
So far no improvement. She has been hobbling around her enclosure today but her appetite is gone. It’s weird to see her not hungry since she goes absolutely nuts just seeing the feeding tongs.

I’ll post an update a week or so later after using the extract and if we ended up having to get her into the vet.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Oh dear, poor girl! She doesn't have any appetite now? I hope she gets to feeling better.
You may end up having to take her back in. Has the swelling gone down at all, or have
there not been any changes yet?
Definitely let us know how she is doing.

Tracie

Hi. I am a mom of a beardie with gout. I was devistated at first and told I should put her down. Thank God I did not. She takes Alupurinal daily, dose based on weight. She is a happy, healthy girl. I do let her have some protein, but not as much as our other dragon who does not have gout. Luckily she loves her greens and fruit. Please let me know if you have anymore questions.
Beardies with gout can live very happy lives with our help❤️

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

****Rockyturner**** Thanks for your input. I agree, too many times
euthanasia is put on the table prematurely & no other alternatives
are given. I'm glad to hear your girl is doing so well, being on the
Allopurinol daily!

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom